MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Spoopygirl
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

I do stuff
What would be interesting though is if it would do what G4 wouldn’t like tackle grief in a more mature way. (Yes it sorta did happened in a perfect pear but tbh they were kinda beating around the bush with it.)
Though knowing mlp i don’t think they’ll do this anytime soon which is kinda sad.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Come to think of it, this gives us more insight into Izzy’s loneliness; she’s willing to visit a town full of smelly dullards if it means she finally gets to have friends.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I’m not sure if it’s allowed to ask something like this here (if it isn’t, delete this comment), but, is there a way to watch the episodes of Make your Mark for free instead of using Netflix?
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
Posey Bloom is what Neighsay should have been, not a 2D strawman who only exists to be proven wrong. Neighsay was right about the mane six being unqualified as teachers (Twilight Sparkle lied to him, AJ and RD make a student almost drown) but all of that gets ignored only because he is a bigot. Just because one is wrong about one thing that does not mean they are wrong about everything else.
Sunny Starscout and her friends actually try to see her POV so they could understand her better and not outright portray her as a little demon.
Plus all Neighsay really tried to do is to ban other races from school grounds, it is not like he wanted war. Unlike the yaks.
Ring Team
Artist -

Welp, I finally watched Make your Mark, or at least the first of many episodes. I have lots to say, but I want to get the bad out of the way before I praise it because I don’t blame some of this on the episode.
This episode has technical and composition issues depending on the shot you’re seeing. In the technical side of things, sometimes the rig on either the characters or the objects is a bit off. The first example that I have in mind is the pendant of Posey Bloom in the first scene. Sometimes it feels like it doesn’t have a clear sense of mass on Posey’s neck. In one frame it feels alright and in another frame it’s levitating around her neck. I don’t have a problem with the lack of “bloom effect” on some shots because of budget reasons, but sometimes it feels like the cutscene of an old videogame, especially the liquid effects.
Also, I think sometimes the episode has composition issues that it’s related either to hue/saturation visuals or lack of occlusion. I love the idea of having a lighthouse where the magical stones shoots a splendid rainbow to the sky. However, I think the rainbow colors are too saturated and it looks ugly or amateur. It’s like Cruis’n Blast on the Switch.

Image for reference.
Other times, the occlusion doesn’t look good in some shots like when Sunny rescues Posey Bloom and her friend. For a climatic sequence, I think a dark color of occlusion would make the scene more visually impactful. I’m assuming it has lots to do with the budget. To me, the saturated colors can be an issue because some HD TVs right now have a very high saturation unless you configure it. And also because usually saturated colors don’t work. And it’s a pity, because when a shot looks very appealing (like some shots on the last scene with Zipp preparing her room), it can be beautiful.
And honestly that’s about it with the flaws and I think it’s a bit irritating because the first episode is very decent.
I love the direction it’s going with the characters and the story. Since A New Generation talked about how a group of ponies wanted everypony to be friends again and considering how it ended, it would make sense that Make your Mark would talk about how to confront the little or major issues in order to maintaining the new friendship you’ve fought for. I love how Posey Bloom was written in this episode because it has a lot of logical points that weren’t adressed in G4, in the same way that A New Generation adressed some issues that weren’t questioned in G4. A pony that questions the use of magic seems reasonable in an era post-Friendship is Magic. One of the main issues I had with the show (and why I finished it last year instead of, say, 2019) is that it has a very status-quo nature. What I mean by this is that, once a character learns something at the end of one episode, that character would forget it in her next episode. This is why some characters like Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and especially Starlight Glimmer were written the way they were. If Make your Mark is gonna have very few episodes, I’m assuming it’s because the writers wouldn’t depend on the status-quo thing, since it’s a very dated narrative tool to build up a TV show.
I also like that some characters have little issues or nice features that make them relatable for different reasons. The scene where Zipp talks with her mother on phone was great because she want her daughter to be a queen, but Zipp doesn’t seem to fit in a royal place. The fact that Zipp doesn’t want to talk about it to her mother during the entire episode implies to me that there were some family issues where Zipp is not comfortable and she feels like she doesn’t have a voice. I think it’s a believable conflict that will be relatable for some people. It kinda reminds me of Nina’s mother on Black Swan.
I like that some of the main characters have very normal jobs. Sunny sells food or ice-cream, Pipp is a hairdresser… the only job that has some level of responsibility is Hitch’s, since he’s a sheriff. The episode doesn’t have quite a lot at stake until the last minutes, but I think that’s a plus. In Friendship is Magic, Twilight had to deal with Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis and Tirek. Here, the main motivation of Sunny is to make everypony feel welcomed. Yeah, that lead to a climatic third act, but I think it’s related to that early motivation. The idea of making everyone feeling welcomed and respected just because a pony seems to be really worried about the use of magic is great and doesn’t feel off. It kinda reminds me of Luca a little bit because the film doesn’t end with an ambitious goal, like beating the bad guy and saving the day as you would expect in some modern blockbuster films. No, the main characters of that film just want a Vespa.
The background music is great, but, while I like the lyrics of the two songs, I don’t like that the songs are just pop songs. I had the same problem with A New Generation, I had the same issue with Tell your Tale and I still have that problem here. And, yeah, pop song can be sometimes great, but I think it depends on the art direction of either a film or a TV show, and I’m more like when the 2017 MLP film had some orchestra songs like Open up your Eyes.
Also, I didn’t expect the writers to give us a glimpse of a potential antagonist. I like the fact that she’s a unicorn because, you know, magic. But, if I have to guess, I don’t think she’s gonna be the one who separated the magical stones many many many moons ago. Whoever did that, I think it’s gonna be an earth pony.
Oh, by the way! I didn’t expect the earth ponies getting magic this way! Understanding animals and making plants grow. I think it’s a very unique idea. Speaking of magic, I love the fact that the more antagonistic the characters are with each other, the more glitchy the magic gets and the less funtional it will get. From a dramatic point of view, I think this will prevent characters that will use powerful magic for selfish reasons, because once you do it, it will get glitchy. Hopefully we won’t get any of that, especially main characters.
I’m very interested in what Make your Mark will offer in the future. Because, even though the first episode has some issues, it’s still pretty good.
TLDR version: I really like Make your Mark. :)
And thanks for the link to the special, DaddyMakesMeEUHH! You rock.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@Ring Team
The only unicorn antagonist here is most likely that unwilling servant. And I really mean it when she looks hesitant. The one you’re most likely referring to is an alicorn. A shadowy one even cause it’s her name in the credits. Also Earth Pony causing g5? Dang, that pony must be even more clumsy than Derpy cause Discord wouldn’t feel bitter all because of an accidental mistake. Finally, I still don’t like the fact that all because they squabble, XK class end of the world scenario happens. After all flaws are what makes us human. Utopia only creates more problems cause now there aren’t any to fix so we create one for pretty much no reason other than something to fix
Ring Team
Artist -

@Phoenixflambe
Yup, it’s an alicorn. Didn’t see her wings properly. xD
I still think an earth pony could have been responsible for separating the magical stones. Considering how the film and this show want to adrees the pony differences as issues, I can easily imagine that scenario. I even wrote it last year.
I can imagine a pony dividing the 3 magical stones just because he had a bad friendship with one or more unicorns or even a group of conflicting unicorns.
As much as I believe in this, I think the show will give a solid and reasonable explanation that’s not what I have in mind. Or maybe they won’t. After all, mystery is great for imagination.
Ring Team
Artist -

I don’t want to repeat myself because I said it multiple times in other threads or websites, but I can easily imagine an earth pony separating and hiding the crystal stones because he had a very bad experience with some awful unicorns or pegasus and he did that out of spite.
That said, if the actual background is something else, then I also would like to know. I want a story to surprise me, not to fulfill a checklist I have in my brain.
Background Pony #AFC6
What if when Sunny uses her alicorn powers, her braid comes loose and she has a long, flowing mane like Celestia, Luna and Twilight? Or, when Sunny uses her alicorn powers, she goes into a magical girl-style transformation sequence.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Finally, I still don’t like the fact that all because they squabble, XK class end of the world scenario happens. After all flaws are what makes us human.
Really now. I could buy pony race relations going through a rough spot. Complete societal collapse followed with Equestria’s history and Twilight’s message of friendship basically erased from the public consciousness? Not so much.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide