MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Grumpy and antisocial
@Fanstar
23 episodes and 4 specials are the initial order for MYM. But it was mentioned a few months ago that the season 1 would have 8 episodes, so those 23 episodes will likely be split into multiple seasons.
Fanstar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Fan-0f-Everything
Do we know if the episodes will dropped like the usual netflix binging model or weekly since it’s not technically netflix’s?
Hali the Emoji girl
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Goth Cinnamon Roll
the more antagonistic the characters are with each other, the more glitchy the magic gets and the less funtional it will get.
That just forces the ponies to be nice to each other so the magic won’t disappear again instead of being genuinely nice to each other.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
@Ring Team
Discord be like: “I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have the bits. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have mastered over my time as the Lord of Chaos. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me back the crystals, and if you start making friends, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.”
Gipercrafter

@GoodVibesGorgeous
If I remember correctly, it was not mentioned anywhere that the first season would only have 8 episodes. I interpret that statement as: “First we will release 8 episodes at once, then there will be a break, and after that we will release new episodes again, and so on until the end.”
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@GoodVibesGorgeous
8 episodes for the first season of a fully produced 3D animated show sounds good. I’d prefer less episodes that lead to something instead of 25 episodes where half of the content is just filler with forced comedy and dull pacing.
@Hali the Emoji girl
I see it as a good thing, because the G4 had one or two characters that weren’t questioned ever regardless of their actions because of the Status-quo nature I mentioned early. In Friendship is Magic, there was no consequences for these characters. In Make your Mark, it shows the danger of degrading other ponies with different beliefs.
I don’t think this approach will force every character to like each other (because that wasn’t a problem for other characters in Friendship is Magic, especially the ending of Cutie Remark). I think it’s more like genuine hatred what shatters this magic, like we saw in Posey Bloom, when a character intentionally does bad things instead of little mistakes even though she had a point.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
@Fanstar
I like Posey, she’s like grumpy but relatable. Can’t help but feel bad whenever Izzy’s around. Also being totally different than who she usually is portrayed to be.
Also are Rocky’s wings artificial?
Ring Team
Artist -

@Fanstar
I think they’re ok. They serve their respective purposes.
If what people really want are more defined background characters, that’s gonna be difficult because:
a. It would require to make a character based on a specific 3d model, and even with shortcuts, it’s a time consuming process.
b. I think we need to wait until we get an episode that has these types of characters, some equivalents of Vinyl Scratch, Derpy Hooves, Octavia, Lyra Heartstrings, etc.
If I have to complain something about the background characters, it’s that there’s something about the model that feels off in some shots. Maybe it’s related to the use of textures, the use of shades, the use of occlusion… I don’t exactly know, but hopefully the next episodes are gonna have a better production quality. Not necessarily in the second episode, but in five episodes or something like that.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
@Ring Team
With point A you could probably fudge it a little by using a character creation system similar to Skyrim to manipulate a base model set’s flexes, so it’s just randomizing sliders until you get something passable.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Wiimeiser
That’s possible, although I was thinking on something like Maya 3D (for modelling and rigging) and Substance Painter (Painting the 3D models and adding different kinds of texture), not Skyrim.
For a background character to be noticeable for the fan or the viewer, the design has to be unique and striking, which is why some of the background characters from Friendship is Magic were very appealing. Vinyl Scratch has this hip modern haircut and glasses with her music DJ table, Derpy Hooves was originally an animation error, Lyra Heartstrings was sitting on a bench like a human, Bon Bon had many different voice actresses, etc. That type of details.
But don’t worry. Eventually there’s gonna be a background character who will look amazing. And it’s not like it’s a big issue in the first episode (my problems with it are on saturated colors and small details related to occlusion and rig).
Background Pony #201C
@Ring Team
I feel like much of the love of BG characters has been through little details like facial expressions and movements. I don’t know much about 3D rigging and all though. Would adding those details in the animation be relatively easy or difficult?
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
@Ring Team
Strawberry Parchment and Violet Spark really stood out, as did the camper foals, and Teal Shores was the first non-flashback unicorn colt to use the standard model. Then there are the technical issues. Evidence suggests that until Season ~5 the colt model was incompatible with the horns and wings. And also that they had to superimpose scenes chroma keyed over one another. Cyclops Noteworthy and Derpy are the biggest pieces of evidence for this. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s why it took so long for S5 to come out.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
I think these two background ponies might be teenagers. I don’t know how to properly explain why, but the way they both carry themselves and the earth pony’s tone of voice give me that impression.
I think these two background ponies might be teenagers. I don’t know how to properly explain why, but the way they both carry themselves and the earth pony’s tone of voice give me that impression.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@Spoopygirl
If it’s the colt, I think he has no name. If it’s the adult pony who looks like the colt, he very probably has a name but we don’t know it yet (if the non-English dubbing credits of the MYM special are any indication, there are three male characters whose names respectively are Sander, Dapple and Diggy).
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide