Why Tags Matter
Derpibooru has a lot of different types of content and almost any type of artwork and most types of meta content are allowed, thus, the use of filters to only see that which you want to is essential. Tags are a necessity for filtering to work, and rating tags are the most important because they capture large categorical distinctions of content type.
These are the most important tags, which you should start out with before considering others.
The rating tags
These very special tags group content into broad categories. They appear blue with fancy tags. Note that any ratings can coexist on an image unless otherwise specified here.
At minimum, you must tag an image with at least one of the rating tags.
The safe rating
Safe for work and children.
Screencaps from the show without edits, and only reasonable animation loops, are always safe.
Images tagged safe cannot have any other rating.
The sexual ratings (one per image)
Somewhat sexual, but not overtly.
- Non-overt sexual references
- Sexy poses
- Skimpy outfits
- Makeouts, but not sloppy ones
- Minor fetish scenarios (e.g. tickle torture); if in doubt, rate questionable instead
Overtly sexual, but not all the way.
- Visible breast nipples
- Overt sexual references
- Barely-covered genitals or anuses
- Visible genital/anal outlines (not super-detailed) through clothing
- Simplistic anuses (e.g. just an X or an outline for an anus)
- Penis sheaths (i.e. skin for the penis to slide out of such as on a dog or horse)
- Sexual rubbing or licking on sensitive areas, but not on the genitals or anus
- Sloppy makeouts
- Presence of (but not use of) sex toys
- Objects used to represent genitals
- Major fetish scenarios (e.g. inflation, diaper); if there is any question, rate questionable
Sex and full nudity.
- Nudity showing the genitals (this includes the labia, but not sheaths, and applies to clothing that may as well be painted on) or a detailed anus (e.g. one showing depth or coloration)
- Sexual contact with genitals or anuses (even if not directly visible)
- Non-urine genital fluids
The dark ratings (one per image)
Dark, but not depressing.
- Dark humor
- Loss of limbs
- Dark implications
- Mind control
The gross rating
- Body horror
- Extreme filth
- Detailed scat
Other important tags
You will likely be banned for repeatedly not tagging these, as with ratings.
artist:artist name here— specifies the work's artist
- artist needed (16590)— when the artist is unknown
- futa (22876)— a female, but with a penis; counts as its own gender for gender-based tags
- meta (11356)— stuff about stuff
- seizure warning (1801)— rapid animations that could potentially cause seizures
- text (21677)— when the main point is in text
These tags apply for any sexual or romantic acts as well as relationships, and no two are mutually exclusive. Note that female by default does not include futa.
You likely won't be banned for forgetting these tags, but they are still important.
- bisexual (1343)— a character involved with a male and a female simultaneously
- gay (13191)
- futa on female (5887)— a female involed with a futa
- futa on futa (1830)— a futa involved with another futa
- futa on male (1041)— a male involved with a futa
- lesbian (49006)
- straight (67549)
These are generally expected on upload, but are less important.
- anthro (117276)— non-humans with partial human body shapes not normal for their species
- Character tags (e.g. applejack (104467)) — when the character is in the image
- crossover (38557)— when elements from another media universe are combined with MLP elements
- equestria girls (80489)— for characters and locations from the Equestria Girls series
- ponified (23606)— when a non-pony character has been turned into a pony
- humanized (69758)— when a non-human character has been turned into a human
- shipping (99081)— characters are in a romantic or sexual relationship
- solo (545497)— when there is only one character in the image
- solo male (12560)solo female (96153)solo futa (8730)— on suggestive/questionable/explicit images, specifying the gender of the one character
- oc (275989)— when any character in the image is an original character (not from the show, fan-made)