Unpopular opinion time

CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@TheQuietMan
Because contrary to popular misconception, My Little Pony is not meant to be taken too seriously, thus a leader of Equestria making mistakes and acting like a goof sometimes is appropriate for the series.
Twi Clown
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@CloudMistDragon
It’s the idea that the Big Good must be always omniscient for many people.
“Everything must be planned”, except the fact many stuff can go wrong no matter how wise someone is.
Kindly reminder survival of the fittest is not about being the strongest nor having the most knowledge but rather is about being the most adaptable, Celestia and Twilight alike quite often have to change plans at last minute so often because no one would stick to a method that is not working.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@TheQuietMan
Actually, it’s that Celestia just sort of expects Discord to be her loyal servant despite making absolutely zero effort at building any kind of rapport with him. I kind of hate Discord, but I don’t even hate him for betraying Equestria, because Tirek has a completely valid point, did a better job at building rapport, and literally made him a better offer.
A better twist would be if Discord was just pretending to lose his power, he snaps everything back to normal, then lectures Celestia about taking others for granted.
@Jonny Manz
It’s one thing to notice that Twilight’s CM matches The Element of Magic and conclude that she’s probably destined to wield The Elements of Harmony. But you’re telling me that Celestia knew:
  • Discord would betray Equestria
  • Five of the six keys had already been found
  • Tirek would give Discord Scorpan’s necklace before betraying him
  • She and the other alicorns would give their magic to Twilight
  • Twilight would stay and fight Tirek, lose, and give Tirek the alicorn magic anyways
  • Twilight would also demand Discord be released
  • Tirek would actually agree to it
  • Scorpan’s necklace would be the final key
  • The Box would contain something powerful enough to defeat the most powerful being Equestria has ever seen
That’s reaching Palpatine/Jigsaw levels of implausible omniscience.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
@DerpyFast
Many missed opportunities for Discord to be a trickster mentor but none happened for the latter part of the role. How does he even pretend to lose powers as many times as about 99% of the time, when he loses power, he really does.
And for the other point, even Discord somehow despite his supposed powers would realise the terrible trio would betray him. They don’t care about how powerful Grogar is, they’ll still do it. But hell, if it really was Grogar it can still go two ways anyway.
Latecomer

@Twi Clown
The problem is that Celestia acts like she knows everything, and the show tends to back her up tonewise while disproving it in practice.
Many times she’s come up with quite unsafe plans that somehow work out. Like how she had Twilight mess up all her friends’ cutie marks in order to fuel an ascension she not only didn’t consult Twilight about, but is very unlikely to have known would actually work for sure.
Even when the show looks like it’s going to suggest that no, sometimes it’s important to break from your aribtrary instructions when lives are on the line… Celestia planned it all along, see!
I don’t mind Celestia being a schemer, prone to complicated plans that sometimes fall flat… I do mind this not being shown as a character flaw of hers.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Latecomer
I think you hit the nail on the head. Nobody is quite sure what to make of Celestia.
If she’s this “Big Good”, why is everyone nervous around her? If she and Twilight have built rapport, then why doesn’t Twilight feel like she can be honest with with her?
Background Pony #F622
Celestia bad. Let’s all hate Celestia. You’re bad if you like Celestia. Worship Luna instead. Luna is only good Princess a s must never be criticized. This fandom never changes…
Twi Clown
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
@Latecomer
I think is subconscious.
Let’s be real, assuming ponies work like humans, it’s plausible ponies will either panic or make a 180 and would start disliking Celestia if she ever showcases that she’s unsure about anything regardless of context.
And considering what happened in Fame and Misfortune, the incident with Troubleshoes Clyde almost getting an angry mob, how many ponies could be rather jerkish like in Putting Your Hoof Down, its easy to assume Celestia is in a position where she can’t risk of showing any kind of weakness. Or as Sun Tzu said: pretend strength when you are weak (so the opponent would be too intimidated or at least willing to think twice before attack) and pretend to be weak when you are strong (sure, you might have the strength to attack…but wouldn’t be better to lure the opponent into a trap and make it a squashing victory instead of a high risk one?)
The more powerful you are and the more people look up at you, the more paranoid you’d get regarding their reactions when things go even minimally south.
Also, there’s no indication she wanted to mess with the Mane 6’s CM’s. The charm kinda activated by accident, and since it was unfinished it’s plausible to believe no one would believe it’d suddenly do a do-hickey.
Twi Clown
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
@Mr.Myoozik
She kinda is to an extent since she has the Nightmare Moon incident and the Tantabus behind her, plus she also decided to retire waay too early while Celestia at least has the excuse that she’s been on the throne for over 1000 years.
Andyxdr
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Glowin' up!
@Twi Clown
You could say those things, but I still love her. She did help each of the Cutie Mark Crusaders with their issues as well as Starlight. I also enjoy watching her interactions with Celestia.
Twi Clown
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Übermensch in training
@Andyxdr
I also like her. But I differ with the “sacred cow” view people often have about her.
@CloudMistDragon
Relatability depends on perspective. The reason why I like Twilight is because she was a loner out of lack of interest and often has a tendency to just deal herself with most issues. Many people see that as a trait that makes her rather annoying compared to Fluttershy who’s more on the shy and awkward, but it’s clear our perspectives are totally opposite, I for one am a person who if possible would rather work alone so Fluttershy is not relatable to me unlike Twilight.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #F622
It would really help your case if you said something constructive about either princess.
@Mr.Myoozik
I’ll just leave this here:
I feel like if you are going to call something overrated, you should make a good faith attempt at understanding why it’s popular, before balancing things out with valid criticisms. For example:
A Canterlot Wedding is a fan-favorite because it has great songs, great atmosphere, action, and an iconic villain. It pushed the boundaries for what a two-part episode could be. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take the time to develop its new characters. So while entertaining, the experience feels a bit shallow.
its easy to assume Celestia is in a position where she can’t risk of showing any kind of weakness.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@Twi Clown
For sure, there is subjectivity to relatability. However, Luna, being the most flawed princess and the one who has suffered the most by far, is inevitably going to be the easiest princess for many to relate to with her feeling the most human.
@DerpyFast
And oh yes, while I do feel that people can call whatever tf they want overrated…it’s lazy af to just call something overrated and leave it at that. A lot of times, even when people do at least explain why they find something popular overrated, they fail to understand why it clicks with people who don’t share their tastes. I’m in the camp of people who don’t understand what’s so hard about going, “Yeah, this thing may be adequate for what it is, but it’s not for me.”.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
My time with the MLP fandom in particular has really made me dislike the term “overrated” over the years. Say it for what it is, you think people are stupid for liking things you don’t, 99% that’s what they’re really thinking
Background Pony #F622
Maybe if Celestia actually got some focus early on, she wouldn’t be treated as the fandom’s punching bag. But no, the showrunners were like “but we don’t know how to write for!” That’s a load of BS, there is so much they could have delved into but chose not to, only to cave into the demand of the rabid Luna fans and shove her into everything and only giving Celestia some attention when the show was nearing its end, and even then, people still feel the need to hate on her.
“But leave it to the fans to make Celestia better!” Yeah no, half of the fan depictions of Celestia are pretty awful, and pretty much assassinate her character, turning her into a troll, a tyrant, a cake fetishist, or just writing her off just to make Luna look better in their eyes. It makes being a Celestia fan difficult, but maybe it’s a good thing that her fanbase is considerably smaller. At least it’s not as mindlessly insufferable as her sister’s.
Jonny Manz
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
@CloudMistDragon
Precisely - for example, I can understand why people love The Perfect Pear so much, but me, I just didn’t connect with it as much (for example, it’s not even my favorite episode of s7 - I put both A Royal Problem and Fame and Misfortune ahead of it)
@Background Pony #F622
Honestly, those last couple sentences you wrote - I would be lying if I said that wasn’t part of what I felt about the G5 and G4 portions of the fandom (respectively)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide