New AI Policy

AwkwardLuna
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Never go full Awkward
@R-tex1241
This is just my personal opinion, but I sincerely doubt that most people who upvote/fave AI generated stuff even know it’s AI generated or even care and just see what they think is cute or hot and click fave without a second thought. It does not necessarily mean they like AI stuff, in fact I doubt most particularly care one way or the other, they just like cute/hot stuff to them and don’t really pay close attention.
This. There were so many highly upvoted unaltered AI images with weird proportions, bad lighting, mangled hands and other issues. It was clear people weren’t really looking at the image, just “lol Sunsets bewbs” and upvoting. That’s the part that, for me, highlights the need to be judicious about how the site handles AI content: people can think its human made with a glance, and don’t look any deeper than that.
Posted Report
Diego96
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@LightningBolt
Was agreeing with you. If thumbnails seem passable they just upvote and move on.
It’s just that I’m trying to figure out what sparked all this “uncontained proliferation of (press button for image) type content…”. The April Fools thing is what was lingering on my mind recently. It went for faaaar too long.
paajbach
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artist -
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

I want to share my (probably biased) opinion concerning the upcoming policy as someone who started uploading AI generated pictures on this site:
  • 2 picture limit per person a day: I absolutely support this. When scrolling through the image pages I too often see rows of roughly similar AI generated pictures. I don’t want to clutter any site with loads of pictures myself so if I upload something, I make sure that it is the best of my batch and edit out errors. Enforcing this with the upload limit filters out (my opinion) unnecessary extra uploads. I therefore want to make a suggestion:
  • The limit should be expanded beyond AI: To give a comparison in numbers between AI and screencaps, there are currently over [8400] AI generated pictures in total with [6400] of them uploaded roughly after the AI boom 9 months ago. [3200] AI images were uploaded in the past 3 months. There are currently over [271000] screencap uploads in total where [3200] were uploaded in the past month. I can’t globally compare these two forms of image generation in terms of quality but I compare them in terms of minimal effort needed for generation (Copying someones prompt and click ‘generate’ vs printscreen and save picture). I am aware that the quantity of uploads of AI would rise exponentially rather than linearly but if the reason for the upload limit is to prevent mass uploads on the site, then the focus shouldn’t lie solely on AI.
  • Strict labeling on AI content: I agree. I’ve painted myself in the past (as an amateur) and am prompting now. I can say for my part that making art with any kind of tools require skill and knowledge on composition, coloring etc. and AI circumvents that, vastly lowering the bar of entry for making pictures of a certain quality. Credit must therefore be given where credit is due and AI pictures should not be treated at the same level as hand drawn pictures.
  • Autofilter AI out of trending: I do not agree. Just because AI is not on the same level of skill as hand made pictures, that wouldn’t necessarily mean that it cannot be well recieved by the public. I’ve read in this thread that the public often upvotes instinctively because of the cuteness or lewdness of the picture regardless if it is AI, but that can account for other easier forms of image generation as well, so that would rather be a matter of value of the public opinion, not AI. I think that the upload limit and the labeling should be enough to keep the trending page fresh. However since there currently is quite a lot of hate towards AI, I can understand the decision to autofilter AI out of trending to prevent drama for the time being.
I am active on this site to connect with other fans of MLP and share ideas albeit in form of text or pictures and have fun doing it. I wish everyone the same experience although that would be difficult in any kind of large community. I understand the new policies around the discrimination between AI and non-AI to calm down the drama around AI but it should not lead to exclusion.
I hope if my opinion is helpful
Posted Report
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@paajbach
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Please know they will be read and considered by the team.
Re: screencaps, yeah. Where unedited screencaps of MLP shows are concerned though, we want as much of that as we can get because it’s a rich source for vector artists and people looking for references for fan art. But fetish crops, fetish edits, image macros, and screencaps from other sources it can be a problem. When they become a problem we try to Rule #3 those as much as possible, but…for now at least…we’ll keep using our existing processes for working on those, which involves a review and voting process internally for any images that aren’t glaringly ‘nope’. Setting the same limit on edited screencaps from the show, or of other kinds of screencaps is an interesting idea though and might help with some of the horrible quality edits or crops we sometimes see. But, it is ‘the wrong boathouse’ for this set of changes.
Background Pony #F4B6
Deletion reason: Rule #n - You are not being the kind of pony that Princess Celestia knows you can be.
Posted Report
Background Pony #F4B6
@saby
YouTube meanwhile just promotes their golden boys and girls and shuts down smaller channels simply because they don’t make enough for them.
Posted Report
Rainbow Dash
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artistic Detective -

Maybe a little bit wolfy
For clarity, only the ai generated tag is hidden by the default filter, not ai assisted.
We aren’t making this policy because we don’t understand AI content, or fear the inevitable Skynet takeover.
We are making this policy because we feel it is what’s best for the site and the community it serves. As you can see, there are still people calling for it to be removed entirely. We felt that was a bit too harsh, but we couldn’t just leave it where it was either. I feel like this is a good middle-ground.
I’m excited to see where AI will go, and where it will take us. Right now though, I’d like to see the spotlight remain on human artists.
Posted Report
Background Pony #59AF
As someone who enjoys making traditional, digital, and machine-generated art, I appreciate the balanced view.
@GaruuSpike
Just to play the devil’s advocate, I don’t think the humanity of the artist is what draws people to art. The content itself is generally what does that.
runner2
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Libertatem Noctibus
Might I throw some random thoughts into all of this?
I’m pretty sure AI generated art was initially meant as a tool to assist artists in creating their own works either through posing, ideas for scenes, color/lighting effects, etc. and not to outright make a piece entirely out of AI and post it as is or with only minor edits to what is technically not actually art but a generated mash of data. My idea in this regard would be to make a separate database of AI generated stuff only that anyone can use and upload to. The idea would be to allow artists looking for idea to browse through it, get their ideas, and create their own artwork out of it. It would keep it separate from the actual works on the site so as not to flood anyone’s searching with them and would allow people to gather free use materials to use as they see fit, within reason and without infringing upon any actual artists who’s original works might have been used in those generations.
When an artist uses them the AI assisted tag would still apply and then they can link back to the source(s) that they used with something like a >>AI####… system like how we link to normal images with the normal numbering system. This would allow strictly AI generating users to upload more freely (perhaps still with some limits to prevent garbage upload bombs) and give them a place to discuss prompts and such amongst their selves while keeping those who don’t like AI stuff to simply not visit that section of the site.
I don’t know how viable, if at all, any of this would be. But if possible it would indeed remedy a lot of the situation I think.
Secondly… in regards to how some people view ratings solely as people liking a thing in it’s entirety regardless of content, I would like to suggest a system where you actually have to view an image to rate it/fave it. Not simply seeing the thumbnail in your search results but actually opening it and seeing the full thing to properly know if you like it or if it’s just the small box of search result colors that happens to appeal to you. This would allow people to actually see if an image is what they are making out in the thumbnail or if it’s just what they want to see and are simply imagining it as something they like. It would also remedy the issue of these low quality AI things getting high upvotes due to the simple perceptions of users seeing a thumbnail they like but are not actually able to see how horribly it is made in full view. It probably also don’t help that many users are probably viewing the site through phones or other smaller screens and simply not caring to see details that would make or break and image’s appeal for many. This would also help prevent upvotes/downvotes due to ‘misleading thumbnails’ that can happen often.
I know I am guilty of this one but I am also on a computer as opposed to my phone so I can see the content clearer then phone users can to begin with even at thumbnail size. It would only be a slight impact to normal user convenience but can go a long way in determining if a lot of the ratings are genuine or potentially inflated or deflated by various means (potentially through bot practices or upvote/downvote warriors).
Anyway… there’s my thoughts on it. Ignore it, use it, alter it, whatever ya want… just felt the need to give some options.
Posted Report
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
I would like to suggest a system where you have to view an image to rate it/fave it.
I fully agree with this. A similar policy is already in place for spoilered and hidden images. However…
It probably also doesn’t help that many users are probably viewing the site through phones
At least as far as AI anatomy weirdness, viewing the image page on my phone often isn’t much better than the thumbnail grid as spotting those. It usually requires loading the image on my full-size monitor to catch the subtle (but cannot unsee) errors. I do not support going down the rabbit hole of playing games with the User-Agent to block votes from phoneposters.
Posted Report
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
As a point of clarification, would any of the images tagged Tails O Pony’s AI failures fall into the low-quality chasm (as in too low-quality to keep for intentional artistic merit but also too close to acceptable quality to retain for notable failures)?
while I’m at it, I may as well tag them with the new prompter: syntax
Posted Report
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
After the policy goes into effect ~next week, I would think new images like this would get dinged, yes. There’d be a difference between “I tried to create a fleshbeast” and “I tried to create something nice and this happened”.
Posted Report
Clear Vision
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Artist -

Petrolhead Artist
I partially disagree, but the content itself absolutely is what attracts people in the first place and gets them to click. However, in terms of the people who choose to more closely follow an artist or support them, or praise them for their work, the human element absolutely plays a part. You can’t follow or support everyone, so you’re more likely to prioritise those who you feel a more personal connection with and/or have the deepest appreciation for.
I’m pretty sure AI generated art was initially meant as a tool to assist artists in creating their own works either through posing, ideas for scenes, color/lighting effects, etc. and not to outright make a piece entirely out of AI and post it as is or with only minor edits to what is technically not actually art but a generated mash of data.
I feel like this a bit of a naïve viewpoint given the implementation of it. If AI generated art was made with artists in mind, they would have asked for permission for stuff or only used public domain images for training, and it would look to supplement the artistic process or help an artist learn.
The idea would be to allow artists looking for idea to browse through it, get their ideas, and create their own artwork out of it. It would keep it separate from the actual works on the site so as not to flood anyone’s searching with them and would allow people to gather free use materials to use as they see fit, within reason and without infringing upon any actual artists who’s original works might have been used in those generations.
When an artist uses them the AI assisted tag would still apply and then they can link back to the source(s) that they used with something like a >>AI####… system like how we link to normal images with the normal numbering system. This would allow strictly AI generating users to upload more freely (perhaps still with some limits to prevent garbage upload bombs) and give them a place to discuss prompts and such amongst their selves while keeping those who don’t like AI stuff to simply not visit that section of the site.
If it’s purely about inspiration then AI art does very little IMO to help with this, at least with the way you’ve suggested here. I’m not saying that you can’t be inspired by an AI image that is good enough to be appreciated, but inspiration is literally all around us in many forms. You can be inspired by things you see in real life, or on the Internet, but I’m not sure if I see the benefit of having a catalogue of AI images to choose from unless I’m misunderstanding the point.
Secondly… in regards to how some people view ratings solely as people liking a thing in it’s entirety regardless of content, I would like to suggest a system where you actually have to view an image to rate it/fave it. Not simply seeing the thumbnail in your search results but actually opening it and seeing the full thing to properly know if you like it or if it’s just the small box of search result colors that happens to appeal to you. This would allow people to actually see if an image is what they are making out in the thumbnail or if it’s just what they want to see and are simply imagining it as something they like.
Great idea in theory but I’m not sure on how it would pan out in reality. Many people on the Internet are unfortunately inherently lazy and would continue to judge art based on how it looks at a thumbnail size anyway. The only difference is that they’ll click on the image, immediately click upvote/downvote/fave and then leave… if they can even be bothered to leave a rating anymore.
This is what happens when you focus on having more content rather than good content - people become jaded and are less inclined to spend time to properly look at something unless you manage to grab their full uncontested attention. And yet, they’ll say they want more content when there’s already loads of things out there, more than they could reasonably go through and digest.
Posted Report
Jewellier
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

*Gigachad theme plays*
I’ve seen some confusion about the various extents of using AI as an assessment tool, so I’d like to provide the thread with some of my own examples. Maybe it’ll help defining the usage of tags in different situations. I would also like to clarify my understanding of the refined tagging guidelines.
  1. This one is a completely transformative redraw. Not a single colour or shape was taken from AI, only the idea and vibe. If it wasn’t my original intent to highlight the fact that I referenced AI, than the AI assisted tag wouldn’t need to be there at all.

Warning: extremely malformed AI image

2. This one utilizes AI to a further extent, taking colours and composition from it. It is completely overpainted though. Judging from what I’ve read on this thread, it would’ve been ok not to tag it AI assisted if only it wasn’t my original intent to emphasize the fact.

Warning: malformed limbs

3. In this one, I’ve inserted the background from the AI image into my work. AI influenced the final look of it a lot, and even though there were minor tweaks, like blur effect, it stands out enough from my normal style to be tagged AI assisted.

Warning: malformed limbs

4. Here, AI was used for parts of clothing like the sleeve and the skirt. Bits of the generated image were addded directly onto the art and are noticeable. It really should be tagged AI assisted.
Please tell me if I assumed everything correctly, and what your take would be regarding these particular examples.
runner2
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Libertatem Noctibus
If it’s purely about inspiration then AI art does very little IMO to help with this, at least with the way you’ve suggested here. I’m not saying that you can’t be inspired by an AI image that is good enough to be appreciated, but inspiration is literally all around us in many forms. You can be inspired by things you see in real life, or on the Internet, but I’m not sure if I see the benefit of having a catalogue of AI images to choose from unless I’m misunderstanding the point.
Not everyone is inspired by everything. For some people they can randomly draw a few scribbles onto a page and get inspired by what they see in those scribbles to make a full piece. I, personally, (although almost never acting on it) can get inspired and see interesting things through erratic patterns in things such as textured walls and styled tiles in rooms. The AI suggestion works the same way and might help artists create things they otherwise wouldn’t have thought of without that inspiration. Perhaps an AI pose or angle might give them ideas. Maybe it’s how some obscure background element might have been generated. Or it could simply be that they like the full idea presented by the AI image and wish to create it in their own style in their own way.
Whatever the case may be, it all comes down to the individual on what they see and get inspired by and how they come to see it.
Great idea in theory but I’m not sure on how it would pan out in reality. Many people on the Internet are unfortunately inherently lazy and would continue to judge art based on how it looks at a thumbnail size anyway. The only difference is that they’ll click on the image, immediately click upvote/downvote/fave and then leave… if they can even be bothered to leave a rating anymore.
An empty vote is the same as no vote at all. At least then you will see how many of those votes have at least some meaning to them and which ones are simply people blindly poking at buttons to watch a number move. If they are opening the image to do that then they will most likely see the image better to determine how they feel about it in the first place. I have opened images myself that I know I probably won’t like only to see that I’m either ok with it or just neutral about it when otherwise I would have downvoted and moved on. (which, admittedly, also sometimes leads to me having some ‘discussions’ with individuals on said images… but whatever. XD) On that same note, I have also voted on images without opening them in the first place too… there are a few tags I have spoilered that when I unspoiler in the search window to see the thumbnail, I would just downvote it and move on. But because voting is blocked on spoilered images I can’t do that and won’t bother opening it to do that and simply move on. Alternatively if one of the spoilered images turns out to be alright then I might open it and check it out which might lead to me peeking at other stuff by that artist or in a set that I otherwise might have missed.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Policy is set and discussed