Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Megalobronia  
TWABA was really neatly unconventional for a finale. You had the unusual aspect of it having no musical number (which S5’s finale should’ve had too) and it having a different cast than usual, leading to juicy interactions; Discord and Trixie had highly entertaining chemistry.

I’m saddened on some level that we didn’t get to see older Flurry Heart in person; it’s probably irrational on some level that I like Flurry, but I do.

@DaddyMakesMeEUHH  
Starlight.

So simplistic, yet so telling.

@DaddyMakesMeEUHH  
Or does it Sparkle? Does it Shimmer?
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
@Ring Team  
I knew you were going to say something, I just knew it 😂.  
Hopefully we’ll get in G5 an interesting and inventive and non-hypocritical redemption arc for a character.

Hopefully. Any hypocrite stinks, real life or cartoons wise. Let’s just have characters own up to their trashyness.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
Every take and opinion on Starlight is unpopular these days. I think it’s safe to wager that while the divide over her is not the most bitter or virulent of pony controversies, it is the biggest one. Most people tend to have the same thoughts on Twilicorn, the series finale, and what seasons are good/bad. The dissent there is loud, and the debates passionate, but it ultimately represents a small portion of the fandom. Starlight’s story, however, is something everyone has an opinion on, and no two opinions are the same. I know I’ve said what I had to say about her (“Every Little Thing She Does” is one of the most misunderstood episodes in the show, I still think she was best as a villain), and there’s no point dragging the thread back into it.

All that in mind, I’m not a huge fan of redemption arcs because they tend to ignore the important part: actually learning how to be a good person. Good/evil isn’t just a switch you flip, becoming a good person takes practice and effort and time. This is one of the things I like about Starlight’s storyline, as well as Discord’s. Too many redemption stories focus on somehow doing enough good to balance out the evil done, which isn’t the point. By becoming a better person, they are redeeming themselves.
eqq_scremble
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Applecord man
@Spinny  
Honestly most all of the faculty was unqualified to teach (yeah they were supposed to teach about their elements but except probably twilight, I can’t imagine any of them having proper teaching qualifications and that was a weird move imo)
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Spinny  
I totally agree. But by the time I was finishing seasons 8 and 9 I accepted all the jank of MLP:FiM, so I don’t care too much about it.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if the point of this was for some Starlight fans to say “oh, this was actually to show that Twilight is an inept teacher”.
Vivace
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Good/evil isn’t just a switch you flip
Every time I have to read a take that the events of ELTSD “invalidate the desire for redemption” (you’re right, that really is a misunderstood ep), I can’t stop myself from thinking the claimant would disagree with the above quote and say, “It should be [a switch you flip].” The two statements as they are (“it’s not a switch” & “that episode is invalidating”) simply aren’t logically compatible.
eqq_scremble
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Applecord man
Here is my hot take on Starlight:  
She had no place being the deciding factor in Shadow Play.  
Stygians entire arc and struggle was basically tailor made to mirror Spike but then… Starlight is the one who steps forward and has a speech ?

I mean I can’t say I’m surprised about that choice but I still can’t help but feel like the setup screamed for Spike to relate to Stygian and pull him out of this instead of a barely-integrated-into-the-group-Starlight.  
She’s been there less time and yet has more respect from the group which I guess is what we call Irony.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
lol Shadow Play, one of my least favorite two-parters that ends one of the worst seasons of the show. Starlight is far from the biggest issue with that one, the writing for Twilight was painful to watch.
eqq_scremble
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

The Applecord man
I mean I didn’t like the premise overall, bringing the pillars back was a weird move imho, but it bothered me how hard they side-lined spike even in a setup like that.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@AC97  
To Where and Back Again is one of my 5 least favourite episodes in the show and one of the big reasons why I stopped watching it for 3 years and a half.

Seriously, the redesign of the changelings, the whole concept of the episode, the mane 6 letting theirselves to get captured in a point where they can easily defend theirselves, Chrysalis as a joke… It’s basically fanfiction dot net: A villain captures the Mane 6 so the “new character” saves the day with the author’s favourite secondary characters. That’s it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide