Unpopular opinion time

DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
I kinda wish the show came out in 2013 instead of 2010. That way, people would expect more from an animated TV show,

Mhmm I would disagree, I think it came out doing the right time. Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball, all came out during the early 2010’s era so if FiM didn’t expect much in itself in the beginning and didn’t see the shift between cartoons during that time, then that’s the writers fault.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
Season seven is one of the best reviewed seasons of the show in fairness. Most of it’s episodes appear near the top of ‘best of’ lists.

…6, 8 and 9? Well, there’s some gems there at least.
Background Pony #D597
The series should’ve come out in 2020, so we could binge watch it during Quarantine and so that we’d have an awesome new show in Season 2.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
When a TV show premiered I feel like is completely irrelevant towards the overall quality. A show can stand strong on its own regardless of when it premiered. MLP FIM would still have its ups and downs if it premiered earlier or later or hell even last year.

@Background Pony #7032  
Tbf, i kinda understand the reasons, but i think all of the episodes (at least to me) are worth watching.

Same. You can watch an episode the first time and then say whether it’s watchable or skippable, you’ll never know what you’re gonna get if you don’t watch it the first time.
Background Pony #7032
@Myoozik  
Yeah.  
Speaking of which:  
Weird thought:
If Hasbro were to redub FiM in Latin Spanish, would they use the Venezuelan (PL) cast or the Mexican cast? Or both?
Similarly, if they were to redub FiM in Brazilian Portuguese, would they use the Sao Paulo cast or the Rio de Janiero cast? Or both?
Background Pony #D597
I feel like the episode where the CMCs grew up should’ve been about them wanting to be little again, the exact opposite of the plot we got. Because if you think about it, they’d been maturing a lot at that point. That episode portrayed them as way less mature than in their most recent episodes. It should’ve been about learning to grow up.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

After almost 7 years, I rewatched Rainbow Rocks.

full

It’s not as bad as I remembered. I still don’t think it’s a good movie, but back in 2014 I used to despise that film. Now that we have the 9 seasons of the show and a MLP film that isn’t about Equestria Girls, I have zero reasons to have the resentment I had many years ago.

I think Rainbow Rocks has a lot of interesting ideas that could work in a movie. For example, I still like the idea of the entire high-school to distrust Sunset Shimmer. But I think it has two problems:

-The story was waaay more focused on the music concert than Sunset’s redemption arc.  
-Whenever the film shows Sunset Shimmer, it uses the dialogue to indicate that Shimmer was a villain in the previous film in a very repetitive way, with lines such as “oops, no offense”. I think there was a time where they repeated the same line 3 times in less than 2 minutes.

Because of that, I kinda wish Rainbow Rocks was more focused on her than in a very boring concert with very boring pop songs.

Speaking of that, if your film is called “Rainbow Rocks”, wouldn’t you expect at least some rock songs instead of 100% pop songs? I know the electric guitar is played in some songs, but it wasn’t that noticeable. We only got songs where the singer is like “OH WOWOWOW” and I don’t think it’s that convincing for a pop song. After hearing all the songs, I’m gonna listen to some Destiny Potato, a rock band that mixes rock with some instruments (like a music box and an accordion) to give some variety and uniqueness to their album.

The villains don’t have a lot of personality. All I’m gonna say is, repeating many times “you’re the worst” and having saturated color schemes is not enough. If you’re gonna create a dynamic with two or more villains, give them interesting or funny lines. Compare the Sirens from Rainbow Rocks to any villain duo from the Disney animated films. Beauty and the beast, The lion king, The great mouse detective, Aladdin, the dalmatians film. They have different sizes, deformed facial expressions, different motivations, different ways of executing a plan, different goals, different ambitions. The relationship between these villains is conflicted because of some disagreements (like Cruella with these two men), but they use different lines in the context of their respective scenes. Those writers didn’t repeat the same line over and over again, the characters don’t repeat “no, you’re the worst” over and over again.

Probably the worst part of the film (although it’s surprisingly tolerable this time compared to what I’ve seen in the later seasons of MLP) is Rainbow Dash. In the first film, Twilight reunited a group of friends that was divided by Sunset Shimmer. By understanding, empathy and comprehension, Rainbow Dash went back to be the friend of the mane 6. So, why does she have to go back to be so antagonistic to her friends in the second film? It doesn’t make sense. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if part of her attitude was translated to Rainbow Dash in the show just because people love it so much. After Rainbow Rocks came out, we got an episode where Rainbow Dash is so desperate to her turtle that she ended up destroying Cloudsdale. And in season 8 she got an episode where she fights against Applejack just for a trophy.

The animation is still as stiff as a Barbie doll. There are very few moments where a character is very expresive with his or her body, but I think it was difficult to do it when the source material is not enough in the first place (which is a multicolored version of Barbie). The only improvement the film has from a technical level is some uses of After Effects, but that’s it. There are very few creative uses of shots and angles, and some of them are in some songs. The rest is just medium shots, close-ups and long shots.

To be honest, it’s hard to be as invested with the film as the fans. That said, I see why people would love it. It was the film that shows Sunset having a redemption arc in a situation she wasn’t ready to deal with. And sometimes it has likeable characters. I just kinda wish there was something more.

Back in 2014, I despised that film because of a lack of alternative (there was only two MLP movies and the two are basically Equestria Girls, and we had to wait until season 5). But nowadays, even though I don’t like it, I find it more tolerable, probably because today we have many alternatives. And I think it’s much easier to understand the fans right now rather than in 2014. And, hey, if it wasn’t for Rainbow Rocks, we probably wouldn’t get Legend of Everfree, wich was the film that made me like Sunset Shimmer.

Because of that, I can’t be that mad at this film. I like the first and the fourth one more, but that’s okay.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Background Pony #D597  
It was ok, but it was mostly held in high esteem due to coming after season 3. Twilight totally losing her personality and relevance still bugs me, and I still blame “Twilight’s Kingdom” for finishing off any illusions of competence from Celestia.
Background Pony #D597
@Philweasel  
But it gave us lots of great episodes like Castle Mane-ia, The Super Duper Party Pony, The Flim Flam Miracle Tonic and more.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

The seasons 4 and 7 are some of my least favourite seasons, although I like 4 much more than 7. It has Flight to the finish, that Sweetie Belle episode with Luna, Twilight’s Kingdom, Inspiration Manifestation and, my favourite, Rarity takes Manehattan.

I think what bugged me about season 4 are mainly two things: It wanted to be ambitious (especially with Princess Twilight Sparkle), but at the same time it wanted to be a slice of life show. By having two completely opposite goals, the season 4 was rarely at its best.

The second problem was that Pinkie Pie, with the exception of Pinkie Pride and Power Ponies, was incredibly annoying. Most of her dialogue is basically her waiting for someone to say “I have a plan” or “I got it” and then she desperately tries to guess it many times with screams. She used to be my favourite character and now she’s one of my least favourite characters because of that.

Because of that, I liked season 4, but not that much. I think the best seasons were 1, 2, 3 and 5.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Pinkie wasn’t that bad in S4, I still feel like people take Filli Vanilli and act like that episode defined Pinkie’s entire character in S4, but I think she had a lot more pros than cons in S4. S2 was a lot worse for Pinkie imo.

S4 in general I think had the best portrayals of the mane 6 in the show, even some of the blemishes in the season I think isn’t as bad as some think
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
I liked Season 4, the key arc was a pretty good arc, the battle at the end was awesome but Pinkie could’ve been better I can agree
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Kiryu-Chan  
I thought Fluttershy in particular was great in season 4.

@Background Pony #D597  
I feel every season has at least four great episodes, even season 3. Season 8, which was the most… uniformly ‘ok’ series of the show IMO had “The Hearth’s Warming Club” “What Lies Beneath” “Sounds of Silence” “Road to Friendship” and “The Mean 6”.

That actually brings me to season 6, which I think was the most uneven season. It contains some of my favorites, and some of the worst episodes in the show. One of my favorite season finales, and a really dull season premier. And half the episodes are highly controversial, some some loving them and some hating them.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
FIM came at a good time at the kicking off of 2010 the cartoon renaissance. Any earlier and it might’ve been ignored as another ho-hum animation alongside the shovel of other 2000s shows. Any later then it could’ve been buried under the popularity of the 2010s hits.

2010-2011 was a sweet spot that let FIM stand out.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide