Unpopular opinion time

Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

I’d wonder if Cadance was in the loop at all for this, considering she was literally losing sleep to keep Sombra out…

Doubt it. Celestia breathes need-to-know basis as shown with Twilight in that episode… and Cadance was always shown to be an afterthought to her.

Remember her wedding? Who were the bridesmaids of Cadance’s wedding? Twilight’s old friends. Not Cadance’s. Who was in charge of everything around the wedding? Twilight’s current friends. Not Cadance’s. Or whoever Cadance chose to organize her wedding. Or the ponies whose job it is to organize events… although that’s probably a good thing considering how Celestia treats the Gala.

If S4 was Celestia getting what she had coming on that matter, S9 was the same happening to Discord. They’re both Trickster Mentors, they both had their plans backfire on them at some point.

They didn’t really get what was coming to them, did they? Celestia’s still the undisputed, unchallenged and endlessly adored absolute (and only, sorry Luna) ruler of all Equestria until she decides to retire. Discord got back his powers without even a slap of the wrist and is free to abuse them as always. After all, who will stop him?

It’s hilarious that the most successful villains in the franchise are on the side of the heroes. Absolute and unchallenged power like I said, endless adoration, no accountability whatsoever (there’s literally no one above them, or at least no one willing to punish them), all the yesmen loyal friends who’ll never abandon or even question them they could ever ask for… complete with an absolute disregard of free will as soon as someone walks away from the path they decreed their life should take.

All things the villains from season one to nine would love to have, Celestia, Twilight and Discord got them. Well, not so much the adoration and yesmen for Discord…

Yeah. Unpopular opinion alright. Not looking forward to G5 either.

Probably not contributing much good to the forum with posts like this though. Sorry about that.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
I feel like yall just try to make the villains out to be better people than they are
Bro, that’s been a thing since at least A Canterlot Wedding. There’s a reason i flogged this image from Ponibooru and uploaded it here:

The fandom has always been schizophrenic about villain reformation, but in saying that, it really depended on how their reformation arc went moreso than them having one to begin with, when it came to fan appreciation/acceptance.

Look at Sunset Shimmer for example. Your comment holds very true after Equestra Girls just came out. After she earned her good girl points™️ in Rainbow Rocks, it’s much less true. It’s also why at the time Starlight Glimmer’s redemption was coldly received, as it was felt that her redemption arc sucked. In hindsight when looking at season 6 as a whole and especially episodes focusing on her, I would argue her redemption arc is fine. Not as good as Sunsets, but fine nonetheless.

As for villains who never got redeemed, I’m of two minds about them. I could see possibilities in some of them being redeemed (like Chrysalis), but am also of the opinion that having irredeemable villains even in a show where Friendship is Magic is the theme as well as the subtitle, makes a degree of sense. I’m not losing sleep over the fact that they never got redeemed, that’s for sure.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Ebalosus  
This is very true its actually a name for it called Draco in leather pants, as much as I dislike blueblood because hes well…written to be disliked. I still realize that his reformation would make a whole of a lot more sense than some of the cooler more interesting but far more evil characters in the show or at the very least id be accepting of it because of the more wicked characters reformed.

I feel like at times people can’t separate their love from objectively I love chrysalis and other big bads BECAUSE of how evil they are. It makes her a great villain and while she has evil is cool and evil is sexy on high alert it doesn’t make her into this loving mother. I also love discord not because i think hes a saint but because of how complicated he is and yes some villain reformation ideas are very interesting but im not gonna get pissed off at canon going against that.
Background Pony #8A65
Spike FINALLY getting good episodes was one of the few highlights of the later seasons.
Don't
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
@CORDZ2000  
Him being against Twilicorn would have made for an interesting episode about the different views Canterlot Elite have regarding the Princesses.

@CORDZ2000  
I saw a lot of topic about Celestia and discord being trickster mentors and its actually a vid on it from Dr wolf https://youtu.be/biRtsj9MtHU that is really good and i feel needs to be more known.

True
Background Pony #8A65
Is Cord STILL trying to convince people that what Discord did in S9 was good, and not one of, if not THE worst decisions the writers made regarding the show?
Background Pony #F622
Sometimes it seems that the fandom takes every single thing in the show way too seriously.
Background Pony #8A65
Serious question, why do the other characters put up with Discord?

They should tell him to fuck off. That’s what you do when you continually give someone chances, and they continually be an asshole. Remember that episode with Gilda with the moral that sometimes you need to cut people out of your life?
Latecomer

@Background Pony #8A65  
Because he’s powerful and at least nominally on-side. And better to have him a “friend” than an enemy*. Plus, some of them do genuinely like him.

*Season 9 proves this may arguably not be the case.

Also, whether that was actually the moral with Gilda is a hot topic.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Background Pony #8A65  
I have the same problem with Starlight. xD

About Gilda, I think she got a nice redemption arc in that episode from season 5. It’s not perfect (there’s some Pinkie shenanigans because), but it’s one of the finest episodes in that season.

But I admit I have to rewatch it, because I only have a very basic idea of that episode.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Background Pony #8A65  
Because discord is a work in progress and he genuinely does improve just slowly, examples such as learning to be ask to be involved in best gift ever and summer sun. He is pessimistic about spike and big Mac and later becomes friends with them and then pessimistic about love and then comes to accept love and get big Mac back together and then there next ep together hes happy to hear there getting married etc etc. Heck in every episode in s9 even when he messed up he was genuinely trying to help a friend.

Say what u will about discord being grogar but the discord we first meet would never go so far to try to help anyone or care about the feelings or a friend or wanna/swear to makeup for anywrongdoing.  
Hes often fraustrating but the ponies understand and recognize his genuiness of wanting to be better.  
And plus because they have come to understand as a spirit of chaos hes a Lil different note them understanding where he was coming from in the s9 premiere.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@AC97  
Out of all the adjectives I’d see describe Chrysalis, I never knew boring would be one of them. I thought she was a well rounded character who got some sort of development as the series went along, and this is coming from someone who finds her okay for the most part.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide