Unpopular opinion time

ShadowBolt Platinum

Don't lose your way!
I myself enjoy Every Little Thing She Does over No Second Prances. I didn’t start liking Trixie until Uncommon Bond. Although I didn’t hate her in Magic Duel or Boast Busters.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@ShadowBolt Platinum  
The weird thing about Trixie is that the writers never seemed to go full force when it comes to being Twilight’s foil. And after Magic Duel she got hit so hard with the nerf bat she went into a coma for almost three years. Honestly, as much as I love me my Sunny Bun and Glim Glam, if they made the villains of those works (EqG 1 and episodes 501, 502, 525 & 526, respectively) Trixie, you’d have an incredible overarching narrative. It’d take quite the rewrite but I think it’d be worth it to explore.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Not sure what you mean by nerf bat, but she was never meant to be a match for Twilight. And until Magic Duel (or even No Second Prances) it wasn’t personal on Twilight’s end at all.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
I mean her skill level seemed to drop. In Boast Busters she could manipulate a rainbow! By the time she befriends Starlight, it’s an achievement to turn a plate into a teacup. I may not know all the details of magic in Equestria, but one trick seems certainly more impressive than the other.

@Vivace  
Trixie was a fan favorite. I’m a big fan of Sunset and Starlight, but I can see why some fans would be upset by new characters fulfilling roles that, with a little adjustment, could have been filled by Trixie. At the very least, all these foils for Twilight make great fodder for A.U. fics.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Perhaps, but she was clearly never in Twilight’s league, and Starlight is. And I think it would take a fair stretch to put her in Starlight’s role - let alone Sunset’s.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Philweasel

I feel this exchange of Student Counsel was perhaps a little too mean-spirited, as a part of the ending, even if it was quickly brushed aside:

Starlight Glimmer: Do you think if I had set times to see me, it might help you decide what you really need to talk about?
Silverstream: To be honest, you really weren’t very helpful with the other stuff anyway.
Starlight Glimmer: Yeah— Wait, what?!
Trixie: Happy Spring Solst-astic, everypony!

I think it’s a little rude in most cultures to say that shortly after they stuck out their neck so far for your dumb little ass in a panic.

(I do wonder what Starlight was going to say in anger if she weren’t cut off)

It was all in-character for Silverstream, but it just burns that she apparently didn’t know better at that point. And for that matter it’s in-character at that point for Starlight to be hypercritical of herself for a perceived failure.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
Two ideas off the top off my head:  
  1. Trixie runs to another world to try and steal power (or at the very least, even the playing field with Twilight).  
  2. Trixie starts going around stealing cutie marks to increase her power at the expense of others.

Thinking a little more about it, Starlight would make a great partner for Trixie in that endeavor if she truly believes that Trixie wants to bring equality to the land. If Trixie isn’t capable of matching Twilight in magical power or skill, having her match Twilight in ambition or social influence would still fit with the character.

@AC97  
    Fitting to have Silverstream say something so callously. She is a bird brain.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Everything is right in the world when the Starlight Glimmer Appreciation Thread is with 28530 posts still the most popular appreciation thread on this site. Including daily updates. ;-)
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
MLP has had a pretty loose timeframe and Trixie failing to learn a lesson is pretty easy to believe.

@DarkObsidian  
Everything is right in a world that has Starlight Glimmer… and too many others to fully list here.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@AC97  
You know what, I enjoy hating Silverstream. It’s not like with Discord, where I wish he’d just fuck off and die. I want Silverstream to have screen time and be important, so I can sit here and hate her more.

She’s fun. I appreciate her.

And Trixie’s better with magic than everyone seems to think. I think people forget that a lot because her one big adventure story had her as magicless as everyone else, but in ‘To Change a Changeling’ her magic was more effective in a fight than Starlight’s, and she’s pretty handy in ‘Student Counsel’ too. Her telekinesis seems legitimately exceptional.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Philweasel  
Silverstream is the Pinkie Pie of the student six. We can all agree on that, right?  
Anyway, Trixie has had her power fluctuate and having only about a dozen appearances in the show has helped. She’s definitely the most skilled with telekinesis of any unicorn, though. I mean, it takes real skill to perform sleight of hand (sleight of hoof?) using just her mind (horn? (SLEIGHT OF HORN!)). I guess being the first pony besides Twilight to specialize in magic and being weakest in terms of raw power and skill does color the way she can be viewed.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

And to Trixie’s credit she kicked off the plot of All Bottled Up by TPing the Map away, and her magic tipped Starlight over the edge to explosive rage in A Horse Shoe-In (though technically it was her nonchalant reaction that caused it), and even if you argue this was her merely braking her fall, it’s still impressive finesse, as was this.

(Teleport terrain and effective shield in short order)

She was amongst the unicorns in the finale to come to the Mane Seven’s aid, after all.

She threw a boulder at something hard enough to shatter it; she could effortlessly defeat a human with brute force TK by S7… could probably easily win in S1 for that matter. (To be fair regarding To Change a Changeling she was failing in the teleport attempts, albeit that presumably largely comes down to experience, knowing how important focus is in magic)

On the matter of Starlight and her occasional smug attitude, in at least one instance, I’m inclined to believe it’s a front, namely in the finale, when she was fighting Chrysalis, with the couple of smug quips she traded; I doubt she was going into that fight truly expecting victory, even if she momentarily believed she’d won by avalanching her (which didn’t seem to be her initial plan there, seemed to be thought up on the fly).
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
Her ability in season nine is certainly nothing short of impressive. The problem is that she appears exactly twice before befriending Starlight and All Bottled Up shows us that Starlight is teaching her how to cast spells. This still leaves the question of how much natural talent Trixie has. Is Sunburst equally capable or does he lack raw power? Did Starlight just teach Trixie the basic principles of magic that allowed her to perform more feats? Did Trixie miss out on a formal magical education or drop out like Sunburst? There’s a lot of unanswered questions in regards to unicorn magic and the closest thing we have to a baseline is Trixie (or maybe Sweetie Belle).
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
So am I allowed to say “I hate Starlight” in this moment and be on topic and not anger people randomly?

Because I still hate her.

I love Silverstream tho. Tho Gallus is still #1 underage husbando.
Sadrai

I don’t think Zephyr breeze design is ugly I don’t mind the man bun but he definitely should get a shave other than that he has a unique design for a Pegasus
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Brass Beau  
An explanation I’ve come across in a fanfic for her past that I think I’m fond of is that Trixie got herself expelled from magic school for whatever reason.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

(Teleport terrain and effective shield in short order)

Well, that was after she’d been practicing with Starlight for a while. Still, she did teleport a MUCH greater mass over a MUCH greater distance than anything we’ve seen from anypony else anywhere in canon, so that’s legitimately impressive.

@Brass Beau  
@AC97
Her ability in season nine is certainly nothing short of impressive. The problem is that she appears exactly twice before befriending Starlight and All Bottled Up shows us that Starlight is teaching her how to cast spells. This still leaves the question of how much natural talent Trixie has. Is Sunburst equally capable or does he lack raw power? Did Starlight just teach Trixie the basic principles of magic that allowed her to perform more feats? Did Trixie miss out on a formal magical education or drop out like Sunburst? There’s a lot of unanswered questions in regards to unicorn magic and the closest thing we have to a baseline is Trixie (or maybe Sweetie Belle).

Trixie’s interest in magic seems to be strongly biased towards stuff she can use in her stage shows, so it’s plausible that she would have little to no interest in the sort of broad magical education a unicorn would need to pursue a career in wizardry.

Not much was conclusively stated on how important natural talent is versus hard work. Sunburst was able to learn about all the different spells in the magic school curriculum, but flunked out because he had trouble actually casting the more advanced ones - though Starlight remarked that she might have been able to help him if she were there. Plus Sweetie Belle has been seen twice casting advanced spells despite her special talent being something else altogether.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
@DoctorWTF  
Combining these thoughts together, along with some comic lore, that would mean Trixie slacked off on anything she couldn’t use for stage shows, probably engaged in dangerous spells without proper precautions, got expelled and went off, performing the more fantastic and flashy spells, something she’s practiced a lot, but struggles with more mundane and simpler spells because she doesn’t understand the principles behind what she is doing. In short, “Achievements in Ignorance” is practically her life motto.

@LightningBolt  
@Angrybrony  
I disagree.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide