The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
@silbasa  
Gamergate was a system of a larger cultural upheaval that would’ve happened anyway. Also, a lot of the stuff that was organized under that banner just atrophied over becoming viable the great “ebin right wing force” that birthed the alt-right like so many portray it as.
silbasa
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@doloresbridge  
It actually did imo. It was the gateway into politics for many a young feller. And ZQ and Mr. Graysons little fling was the spark in the gasoline filled room that set it all off.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Mikey  
Someone needs attention… and money.

@silbasa  
Oh. It was more then just Grayson. Much, much more.

and GamerGate is only talked about by the supposed “winners” who chanced off the evil GGers, Then come to be see as doing everything they said GGers did.

Make you wonder what time will tell for others and the virtues they signal.
Cyborg_pony

@Mikey  
Wasn’t talking about Memeology.

@WyrmSpawN  
It started with it being a shitty Twine being overly praised by journos and then a board for people with depression said it made them feel worse and the designers knew nothing about depression (the woman that takes selfes because she’s saddie pants knows nothing about depression. go figure)

Then, he At the time BF said found out she was boning tons of guys behind his back, which she said is akin to rape, But I guess when she’s not the one doing it. Several of which were journos that spoke highly of her, and seeing how this no-name, no talent hack was seen all over the place 4chan began looking at it.

This prompted Moot to be one of the proto-simps and ban all discussion about her and what she had been up to leading to a main portion which was THE DREDDED GAMER GATE!!! and several 4chan trolls began to become self-rightious for no other reason then most having a presents on Tumblr.

This of course lead to the rise of 8chan, which later fallowed that puppet d-bag and someone to make a board to honey pot GGers and even post skanty-clad pics of kid Which only he was fast enough to get sceenshot of. before being deleted as if he know when they were going to happen. hmmm~

Thus this did lead to other prominent anti-GGs like the litterally Who, Arthur Chu, 9Volt and whites knight to espouse how terrible the gaming industry is with horrific scenes of violence against women. which they ignored and never did anything about for years.

Which also fallows the creations of Quinn’s next scheme Crash Override Network “CON” to help fight “cyber harassment” and many in Quinn’s Clique being apart of and then Femfreak to also throw herself into this whinning about being harrassed on her “tropes vs. wahman” series, which during the initial crowfund vid and only approved comments enambled as well as many no seen as staged attempts at publicity partners with “CON”

This also fallowed the “GAMERS ARE DEAD!” articles and many high profile and low hi, Bob to join in on being once the consumer advocates now wanted to dictate what they’re allowed to purchase “Never ask questions. Just consume product then get excited for next product”

So, after much silence, a few with Cristina Hoff Summers wanted an open dialog, which no one from the opposite side wanted with many threats on venues and when one finally occurred a bomb threat just after the infamous Chu-chu treat “It ends tonight”

Come maybe a year, then more and several sites are reviled and lost all credibility. As they pen articles after articles about how this is bad and That is violence. Demanding games be altered and changed, forcing devs to self-censor to fit their moral outraged that put a tear of joy in old Jack Thompson’s eye.

A lot has changed, some good some if not more not so good, even some becoming enemies over such petty differences. But the journos who see themselves as an elite class still feel the sting, and they don’t like the peasants laughing at them.

That’s pretty much a sum-up of the whole thing.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
It’s kinda sad that the pogchamp emote is banned on Twitch just because the pogchamp dude (which has no relation to the emote anymore) had political opinions.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Cyborg_pony  
Of course. But that was the very start of the whole thing. And ZQ is one of the most dangerous sjws I have seen…

@Cyborg_pony  
Interesting take. For me it started on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Grayson wrote a piece on Depression Quest. Then people accused him of sleeping with ZQ based on pictures of them together. Articles started popping up on gaming sites, but immediately got pulled. Someone with money and lawyers was behind it. Inevitably it ended up on /v/ and the strangest thing happened, mods nuked discussions. Turns out Moots’ girlfriend was the daughter of the owner of Gawker media. He was the one financing the takedowns. /v/ became enraged, never seen the site move that fast, the hot pockets did all they could for free but could not stop it. Streisand effect kicked in and gamergate started. Moot left 4chan a bit later. (Much of this is from various screencaps etc so take it for what it is :P)
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@WyrmSpawN

That’s one of the factors that led to it, yes, but isn’t it’s beginning. Your question does bring up a good point about the historiography of GG and its relevance to the continuing relitigation.

If GG is indeed responsible for what recently happened in D.C., then does the buck stop with GG, or does it stop with the factors that led to it? GG didn’t come from nowhere, but from a collection of disparate factors. Are those factors responsible for what happened yesterday? If Zoey’s ex didn’t write that article, would Trump have lost in 2016? If Bioware capitulated to #RetakeMassEffect in 2012, would Trump supporters have raided Capitol Hill?

I bring it up because although GG is a factor in the alt-right’s rise, how culpable is it for all that has happened since 2016? How culpable is #RetakeMassEffect for all the stuff that happened during and after GG, including the rise of the alt-right?

The answer from the people writing the articles now who blame GG would say that they’re quite culpable…but for the people back in 2014 who instigated and supported GG then didn’t have any plans beyond ethics in games journalism [and later the perceived scourge of SJW influence]. Just as #RetakeMassEffect in 2012 didn’t have any plans to challenge games journalism as a primary focus, GG in 2014 didn’t have any plans to elect Trump and foster the rise of the alt-right. Some GGers did, sure, but the movement as a whole didn’t.

It’s ultimately why I get annoyed at the constant relitigation of GG by the people who were opposed to it, because they can’t seem to comprehend the whole correlation does not imply causation thing.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ebalosus  
#RetakeMassEffect is not a GG thing. And ofc there was no concrete plan. But GG showed many what the left was and is doing to our games and other aspects of culture. This sent many to the right side of politics and may just have given Trump the edge he needed in 2016. And over this time formed into the alt right. All started by my favourite person in the world, ZQ.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

🚙
@Ebalosus  
Gamergate was partially responsible for the alt-right’s rise but, honestly, I blame the overall Chan culture in general  
Gamergate, Qanon, Pizzagate, they all originated from middle class asshats on 4chan and 8chan  
What was once ironic shitposting turned into unironic people thinking there’s some guy called “Q” who says Trump is going to own every single career politician in Washington anyway now

On a slightly different note, I saw a person earlier this week calling themselves an Oldfag because they were on 4chan since 2016  
To show you how far Chan culture has degenerated from its shitposting roots
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Commune  
I mean, you’re gonna have a small group of people from any cause or group devolve into degeneracy after a while, no matter how morally right it originally was. GamerGate has the alt-right (which I’d say is mostly just people trying to be edgy), and SJWs have the alt-left.
Cyborg_pony

@silbasa  
Ironically, the people who want nothing more then media and music to tell them what to do, still believe they’re the counter culture from the 80’s, when in reality they’re the ones passing out chick tract like garbage “Is your child Gamergate!? No the signs!!

They really do remind me of this clip

Delusional to the world, one day they will realize too late. I remember the big laugh people had when journos that say “No one’s taking your anime tits away!” whined about SU getting censored in the UK and other places, and then still went on to be pro-censorship.

The people who advocate for the club always do so because they think they will be the ones holding it.

It’s the same in any facet and it never ends up being the case, although, the club usually ends up getting bashed over their heads too.
Cyborg_pony

@silbasa  
Some did, until a few years ago and decided to attack others. I surmise some out of jealousy, others out of pure cowardice and try to playcate the other side, To usually no avail.

And it’s REAL fun to watch them as the flounder and the people they’re begging for air push them back under. They only want you to forgive and forget what they’ve done, they don’t offer the same to anyone who was outside their clique originally.
Cyborg_pony

@silbasa  
And then their censored and all of a sudden it’s tyrannical then. They whine “we’re not being heard!” when they have people speaking in front of the U.N. about getting called a con artist on Twitter, while constantly telling everyone else to “Shut the fuck up and deal with it.” Driving them off places, driving them away.

Chastising anyone that would listen to them as a pariah for not calling them the Nu age heathens and heretics. I think they enjoy nothing more then being acting out since it gives them an excuse to hate them.

If there are no witches to burn. Make them.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide