Rainbow Rocks 10th Anniversary - Let's celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rainbow Rocks with an art event! Here

General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #7C7A
@LightningBolt
Oh, I have explicit and questionable filtered out, so I don’t worry about that. AI could detect relevant body parts, but it would need special training for the rather unique MLP subject. Anyway, what AI did you try? Something off the shelf or trained specifically for the purpose?
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
plot is pony-only
EqG and anthro conspire once again to rob the world of an equine pun. butt focus:, it is.
There is zero use to those tags as whatever additions they have are 100% subjective and opinionated.
The subjective opinionated nature is exactly why they’re useful. Remember my earlier post about the 5 uses of tags? These aren’t tags you’d use to build filters or search for some image you half remember. Instead, they’re useful for building watchlists.
Attempting to use the objective fave/score numbers as a metric for subjective quality has two problems:
  1. Sorting by score gives aggressively average results. The drawings themselves may be technically impressive, but it often feels like a bunch of artists all chasing the same style.
  2. Sorting by faves means you suddenly have a bunch of fetish tags to filter.
As far as moderating abuse of those specific tag groups, has it been a problem in the past? Even if they’re subjective, it shouldn’t be too hard to assign usage of a tag on a given image into one of four buckets.
  1. A prime example of what the tag is used for
  2. Not a good example, but not wrong enough to remove
  3. Different strokes for different folks: the tagger did nothing punishable by using it, but it’s not what others are likely looking for—remove it
  4. Are you kidding, man? Misclicks and abuse.
riding and X on Y action tags
I will concede that the specific case of dragons riding ponies and ponies riding dragons are strong candidates to be separate, due to spike riding twilight otherwise burying images where it’s the pony riding a dragon. However, most other riding tags seem redundant at tagging which species is the driver and which is being ridden.
By your logic, would seeing a hippogriff on top of a kirin really make someone cry who wanted to search for a kirin riding a hippogriff? Dragons & ponies are the only ones I can think of where there are legitimate burial issues involved.
When it comes to “action,” the more specific the tag, the more accurately it gets applied. human on pony action may as well be merged with pony on human action, as both are de facto synonyms for pony, human, interspecies (likewise with human female on mare and mare on human female). However, stallion on human male and human male on stallion both are used correctly.
Literally a case of the tags being pointless outside of the specific situation where a person would throw a fit if they looked for bonbon, butt and saw Lyra’s butt instead.
The way characters are tagged gives plenty of off-target results. There’s no consistent way to tag which characters are in focus (or at least the foreground) and which are background details. They’re no more than 10% of images, but there are plenty of images around here that look like character tag vandalism from the thumbnail but the character is clearly present when viewed at full size.
A better example would be searching bon bon, butt and getting an image where there’s no obvious Bon Bon on screen.
If characters could be tagged as subject: or background:, there wouldn’t be a need for character specific butt tags. Simply subject:bon bon, butt focus ought to do the trick. Even if it returns an image where it’s Lyra’s butt, Bon Bon will still be important enough to the composition not to be an extraneous result.
Getting rid of these tags will do nothing to increase the “basic” demographic tags.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Celestial Glory - Helped others get their OC into the 2024 Derpibooru Collab.
Nightmare in the Moon - Had their OC in the 2024 Derpibooru Collab.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Attempting to use the objective fave/score numbers as a metric for subjective quality has two problems:
  1. Sorting by score gives aggressively average results. The drawings themselves may be technically impressive, but it often feels like a bunch of artists all chasing the same style.
  2. Sorting by faves means you suddenly have a bunch of fetish tags to filter.
As far as moderating abuse of those specific tag groups, has it been a problem in the past? Even if they’re subjective, it shouldn’t be too hard to assign usage of a tag on a given image into one of four buckets.
  1. A prime example of what the tag is used for
  2. Not a good example, but not wrong enough to remove
  3. Different strokes for different folks: the tagger did nothing punishable by using it, but it’s not what others are likely looking for—remove it
  4. Are you kidding, man? Misclicks and abuse.
I’m not giving definitions to sexy tags.
riding and X on Y action tags
I will concede that the specific case of dragons riding ponies and ponies riding dragons are strong candidates to be separate, due to spike riding twilight otherwise burying images where it’s the pony riding a dragon. However, most other riding tags seem redundant at tagging which species is the driver and which is being ridden.
By your logic, would seeing a hippogriff on top of a kirin really make someone cry who wanted to search for a kirin riding a hippogriff? Dragons & ponies are the only ones I can think of where there are legitimate burial issues involved.
Were we not talking about x on x action?
When it comes to “action,” the more specific the tag, the more accurately it gets applied. human on pony action may as well be merged with pony on human action, as both are de facto synonyms for pony, human, interspecies (likewise with human female on mare and mare on human female). However, stallion on human male and human male on stallion both are used correctly.
Yes we were. People get lazy I guess.
The way characters are tagged gives plenty of off-target results. There’s no consistent way to tag which characters are in focus (or at least the foreground) and which are background details. They’re no more than 10% of images, but there are plenty of images around here that look like character tag vandalism from the thumbnail but the character is clearly present when viewed at full size.
A better example would be searching bon bon, butt and getting an image where there’s no obvious Bon Bon on screen.
If characters could be tagged as subject: or background:, there wouldn’t be a need for character specific butt tags. Simply subject:bon bon, butt focus ought to do the trick. Even if it returns an image where it’s Lyra’s butt, Bon Bon will still be important enough to the composition not to be an extraneous result.
I am so fucking tired of this kind of argument or topic coming up every time someone points out how tags cannot be perfect and then tries to over-complicate it just to cover edge cases. No. Fucking no. If I see anyone talk about this kind of thing again I will just ignore it.
Getting rid of these tags will do nothing to increase the “basic” demographic tags.
And do you see me getting rid of them?
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
The subjective opinionated nature is exactly why they’re useful …
has it been a problem in the past …
Even getting people to agree to a definition of, and consistently use, a fairly objective tag like infidelity can be unbelievably hard. Moderating that tag is possible though, so I can say with tags like infidelity that there have been rule breaking problems. Because it is a tag that can actually be defined and around which it is possible to build rules for its use.
By comparison, look at how often sexy is used in companionship with grotesque. Are any of those sexy tags on grotesque objectively rule breaking or even wrong? And is there any way to judge that? In some cases, I am certain that the person who tagged it as sexy does find it sexy, just by looking at their upvotes and watch lists.
The problem is that with purely subjective tags like sexy there is no way to say if the use was rule breaking or not, because it’s entirely ‘in the eye of the beholder’.
The subjective opinionated nature is exactly why they’re useful
The tag sexy on an image is not the result of any kind of community assessment of the image - 62% of the use of tag sexy was by the original uploader tagging their own works as sexy, even if it was an unironic shitpost. How is it useful knowing that the uploader of this thought it was sexy?
To be honest, I don’t know that the tag is wrong on that image - because I absolutely believe that the uploader thought it was sexy. But because the tag is purely subjective - it is not a ‘fact of the image’.
I’m not giving definitions to sexy tags.
The closest I think we could ever get is “at least one person who has ever visited this site gets off to this”. And that’s what the like button is for.
🐴
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Ciaran
In case I didn’t make it clear in my earlier posts, I agree that plain cute and sexy ought to be invalid tag aliases. They’re useless. However, the character-specific variants diasweeties or stupid sexy sweetie belle do, despite a lack of formal definition, have a habit of producing useful results. If they haven’t been hit with tag vandalism, then they’ve been successfully self-regulating this far.
Their de facto definitions of
at least one person has remembered the existence of the relevant tag and enjoyed it enough to think it was a worthy example to have been tagged
do seem to work in a way that cute or sexy being separate tags would not.
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Ciaran
And if we got with that, honestly 95% of the images on this site could apply for the tag! And I very much do mean safe ones too!
I can say with a fact that the stuff I find sexy would almost never actually be tagged as sexy, and I am not about to start adding it myself.
Background Pony #52BA
@Ciaran
In case I didn’t make it clear in my earlier posts, I agree that plain cute and sexy ought to be invalid tag aliases. They’re useless.
To an extent, I disagree here. “Sexy” can kind of work as an extra granular rating-modifier, especially within “safe”. And “cute” is just…cute.
But they are tags especially overused by artists who want to prop up their own work. I almost feel like “sexy” or “cute” should only be able to get tagged by viewers, never by the uploader.
Their de facto definitions of
at least one person has remembered the existence of the relevant tag and enjoyed it enough to think it was a worthy example to have been tagged
do seem to work in a way that cute or sexy being separate tags would not.
Well, it follows that “cute” gets implied by each of those, so there’s just one tag a person would have to search for that contains all of the hundreds of individual named “cute” character tags. To not give up that functionality but not invite application of the “cute” tag by itself, you’d either need to change it to something obnoxious like “a character’s cuteness tag is on this image”, rename all of those tags into a namespace prefix like “cute:”, or overhaul the tag category system to be data-driven rather than hardcoded into the site source so it could be massively expanded and then add a category for “cute” tags that one could search for the quantity tagged thereof.

Even though I also talked about “tags are useful because people use them”, it can still sometimes be really hard to fathom what some of them are good for that a combo of other tags doesn’t identify just as well. A pet peeve of mine is what makes a bikini babe anything other than “female, bikini, sexy” (apart from the undertagging of “sexy”…and also the tag’s use on characters not in bikinis…)
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@TexasUberAlles
99% of the time, they do.
Fetishes are not the issue, people just bitch about them the most. If as many people cared about female or straight not being tagged, I’d be very happy, But no, they just wanna bitch that they saw a foot.
T6J2E5
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Verified blank-flank
…But no, they just wanna bitch that they saw a foot.
Good point, users’ kneejerk reactions notwithstanding. I’ve seen plenty of images tagged as foot fetish simply because of the presence of a foot. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square.
I’m in the camp of sexy-style tags being useless and misleading, because one person’s sexy can be another person’s grotesque. In theory, every image could be tagged as “sexy” without violation of the tag definition, since someone somewhere finds it sexy.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@T6J2E5
Sometimes people tag something as gay even just because it has even a single explicit male and their filter only hides gay and not solo male. It is absolutely not people who tag reactionarily to stuff they don’t wanna see that should be catered to.
Kincyr
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Non-Fudgsicle Token
I’ve seen plenty of images tagged as foot fetish simply because of the presence of a foot. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square.
it’s been mentioned that most, if not all of the fetish tags need cleaning up for this very reason, but that on its own is already too much work for just the entire staff. I’d suggest a community event to get the userbase involved to help speed things up, but that has the potential to backfire catastrophically, especially if badges are involved.
idea for the mods: I wonder if adding descriptions for the fetish tags would be any help, like mentioning that such a tag requires a character to be expressing such a fetish (or is involved in an act whose tag implies said fetish, like how footjob implies foot fetish) and that focus alone doesn’t count.
if anything, that might help should any tagging wars start due to any long-term tag-cleanup project
saby
Magical Inkwell - Untitled ancient Pegasopolis vignette
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations

Anti Fun Officer
“solo, gay” types
  • not actually solo 1: other characters present, image should have been tagged solo focus and not solo
  • not actually solo 2: disembodied penis present and (allegedly) (is a penis male unless shown connecting to a futa body?) a) gay stuff is going on b) is about to happen c) has just occurred
  • solo: imminent or implied butt stuff (creampies, presenting, what have you) (should be “implied gay” at most if at all since futa do also exist)
  • solo: male sexuality/sexiness that is tagged “gay” for who knows what reason
  • solo but character’s orientation/relationship/attraction is depcited abstractly
  • tag used as character orientation label
  • the word “gay” appears on the image or gayness is verbally mentioned or alluded to
  • implied simulated gay via dolls >>3280805 (safe)
  • and my very faaaaavourite (/s), image contains multiple separate pictures, “solo” being correct for some and “gay” for another
Background Pony #7C7A
they just wanna bitch that they saw a foot
“Seeing a foot” is why I left DA and arrived here. 😂 It was chock full of feet-focused images, inflation, morbid obesity, etc. It didn’t have any tags back then and no way to filter all that out. I really appreciate Derpibooru’s filters and detailed tagging.
I’ve seen plenty of images tagged as foot fetish simply because of the presence of a foot.
People’s reasoning goes like this: “I’ll tag it foot fetish because it seems to cater to people with a foot fetish; that’s what this tag means, right?”.
If we want people to apply different tags, like “feet focus” or something, then we need to educate them about those tags. Admins could query the database for people who added “foot fetish” that was later replaced with “feet focus” and send them an automated educational message. It could even be a permanent feature, triggered by particular tags being added/removed.
Same for other common tagging mistakes. This is a better approach than a site-wide PSA, as most people would ignore fetish-specific guidance thinking it’s only relevant to people with that fetish.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
I just removed the pony tag from >>3433673, since it’s a solo kirin presenting her lady parts. Do we have a dedicated thread for body type tags for show-style creatures?
If not, my proposals:
  • ungulate for quadrupeds with hoofsies (equids, yaks, kirin, deer, buffalo)
  • griff for hippogriffs and gryphons
  • carnivore for cats, dogs, & bears (possibly unnecessary)
I seem to recall having discussions earlier about how pony sometimes incorrectly gets used as a synonym for feral on kirins.
@LightningBolt
I presume female is far more useful as a tag to filter out than one to search for, at least on this site. I just can’t imagine people searching for pegasus, female, explicit instead of rainbow dash, explicit, !anthro or fs, !safe, pony [and, even for the generic search, pegasus, female focus, explicit would give better results]. The read I get of this site’s culture is that people are more into specific characters than the generic gender, species, fetish searches on e6.
However, filtering out female and straight greatly improves the hit rate for gay gooning time.
Background Pony #7C7A
I just can’t imagine people searching for pegasus, female, explicit
Considering how mods complain about people who don’t filter out stuff they don’t want to see and the fact that a lot of people don’t know complex searches exist, I suspect that a lot of people simply browse images with the Everything filter. Perhaps they browse particular tags (like characters) or top scoring images. fs, !safe, pony is probably hacking to them.
rautamiekka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@LightningBolt
I presume female is far more useful as a tag to filter out than one to search for, at least on this site. I just can’t imagine people searching for pegasus, female, explicit instead of rainbow dash, explicit, !anthro or fs, !safe, pony [and, even for the generic search, pegasus, female focus, explicit would give better results].
My brain hurts … -.-
saby
Magical Inkwell - Untitled ancient Pegasopolis vignette
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.

Anti Fun Officer
@🐴
I’ve never managed to find a clear directive on whether “pony”, as pertains to species (yes the tag also requires a non-anthro bodytype), is supposed to only consider the four pony kinds, or to be a wider synonym for pony-shaped ungulates. Zebras and kirins could easily be considered “ponies” sensu lato, whereas mules like Cranky and bovids overall would not be, even as mules are just as equine as zebras are. They just get drawn a very different shape.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@saby
The tag description for disembodied penis says male unless otherwise proven. I could not tell you how many times people tag solo anything on images with floating dicks, it’s so goddamn annoying, male or female or otherwise.
I presume female is far more useful as a tag to filter out than one to search for, at least on this site. I just can’t imagine people searching for pegasus, female, explicit instead of rainbow dash, explicit, !anthro or fs, !safe, pony [and, even for the generic search, pegasus, female focus, explicit would give better results]. The read I get of this site’s culture is that people are more into specific characters than the generic gender, species, fetish searches on e6.
Why do you assume people wouldn’t wanna see multiple pegasi, canon or otherwise, in a search for solo explicit? That makes…no sense. I have done that very thing in male before as people tag race more than pose and I was looking for flying stuff. I Don’t care what you assume people are into, I assume everyone can be into anything in my tagging and I want to cater to everyone, from normies who just search for sexy, tits and people like me who are autistically specific about a search that they get mad when it doesn’t work.
However, filtering out female and straight greatly improves the hit rate for gay gooning time.
Improves, does not make it perfect as stuff still slips through the cracks. Being gay or only into guys means that you’re inevitably going to see shit you’re not into, and people like that don’t complain like the ones that are only into girls do so it tends to go unnoticed by a lot of people and I have to force anyone to care. This is why I’m never gonna care about sexy tags, people prefer to tag them over straight or solo female and you don’t know how bloody annoying that is from a standpoint of doing this for 12 years as I’ve cared for at least that long.
@saby
Pony is for ponys. It’s not for kirins or donkeys, it’s only not allowed on anthro images of ponies, no others have this rule. it’s dumb but people here push back on a feral style tag because eww furries or whatever. If it’s not a pony then don’t worry about it. Anthro kirins get tagged kirin. People are just stupid and tag anything with 4 hooves as a pony sometimes. Doesn’t make them right.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
Why do you assume people wouldn’t wanna see multiple pegasi, canon or otherwise, in a search for solo explicit?
Perhaps if it’s a search with solo added. I’m sure there’s someone out there who regularly searches for pegasus, explicit, but my strong gut feeling is that such searches far less common than those that either specify solo female or a specific named character.
pony is not for kirins of donks
Presumably not zebras or mules, either, then?
For reference, this cladogram of ungulate species is drawn from memory.
Bold = candidate for a gray body type tag.
italic = either a body type or best just to skip (we’re not e621)
  • Odd-Toed [Perissodactyla]
    • Rhino
    • Tapir
    • Equid
      • Pony
        • earth pony
        • pegasus
        • unicorn
        • alicorn
      • asses
        • donkey
        • onager
        • kiang
      • mule
      • zebra
        • zebracorn
      • horse
        • [same EUP as ponies, usually]
  • Artiodactyla [even-toed, cloven hooves]
    • Cervid
      • Deer
      • Moose
    • Bovine
      • Cows
      • Buffalo
      • Antelope
      • Yak
    • Caprinae (had to look this one up)
      • Sheep
      • Goat
    • Lama (genus)
      • Llama
      • Alpaca
    • Kirin (at least as depicted in FiM)
    • [technically] classical art unicorn (but no one would seriously classify them here)
    • giraffe
    • hippo
    • pig
However, FiM’s style draws kirins with the same body type as equids. They should be tagged as such.
feral
It’s not just “eww, furries.” I believe it’s also a common source of confusion by people assuming that feral = hoers but for any species (a.k.a. more detailed & realistic anatomy than show style).
This can (hopefully) begin to be fixed by adding an official definition to the tag. The existence of that one anthro cat from the 2017 movie complicates writing a simple definition, but something like “show-style or realistic depictions of non-anthro characters” should get the point across.
You do have me convinced that this tag should be used more. However, it’s not really a body type so much as a super-tag containing all non-anthro and non-human body types.
People are just stupid and tag anything with 4 hooves as a pony sometimes
Hall of shame to anyone tagging a deer, buffalo, yak, or cow as a pony.

Speaking of e621, you may be able to answer this for me. Why the FUCK do they alias ungulate to mammal, yet treat equine and equid as separate tags? They don’t even have generic even/odd ungulate tags.
Sometimes, your search is specific enough that it’d be tedious to go through species-by-species, yet you only want to see characters inspired by hoofed creatures: bears, cats, & dogs are spam.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide