Unpopular opinion time

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
When I was a kid, I preferred things with male characters in them. I still do as an adult. (I am female if you don’t know)

Of course I am not the norm.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@LightningBolt  
@Commune

For me, it’s the principle. Being a good person isn’t a feminine thing, guys need friendship too. Having all the Elements of Harmony be female implicitly perpetuates harmful stereotypes for both genders, and is something I’d like to see changed in G5. It’s a show about horses being friends, there is literally nothing “feminine” about that.
RaineV1

@GenericArchangel  
They were specifically created to be role models to young girls showing them that there is no right way to become a woman. A book loving science nerd, a tomboy sports fanatic, a nature loving hippy, a partier wanting to laugh through life, an artist that embraces femininity, or a family gal working hard for her family. All these and more were valid, and that girls should embrace what type of girl they are.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
@GenericArchangel
They were specifically created to be role models to young girls showing them that there is no right way to become a woman. A book loving science nerd, a tomboy sports fanatic, a nature loving hippy, a partier wanting to laugh through life, an artist that embraces femininity, or a family gal working hard for her family. All these and more were valid, and that girls should embrace what type of girl they are.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Music Connoisseur
@Latecomer  
Considering that stereotype has a pretty negative connotation, I don’t feel right in calling them that. I just simply call them characters and leave it at that because while they do typically have one or a few traits, they have a lot more to them than just their basic character types.
GenericArchangel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Latecomer  
Does it matter? Why not at random? If your character can only exist as one gender, there’d better be a damn good reason for it. Hypothetically, all of the Mane 6 could be guys and it wouldn’t change anything- them being girls has had exactly zero bearing on any of the stories that have been told. So, why not just RNG it and make some of them guys in G5?
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Music Connoisseur
@Latecomer  
I was about to say archetypes actually, but I didn’t know if that would be the right term for it cause it’s more used in literature and psychology rather than describing characters.

Also you finally got an avatar, good on you.
Latecomer

@GenericArchangel  
Because it does change things, since males and females with the same traits are seen differently. AJ and RD would become boys almost too comfortably, Rarity and Fluttershy would be seen as camp and emasculated respectively, and while Twilight works fine as a guy in herself having a male lead would be inappropriate.

Given how things are, I do think you could probably flip most of them, but that’s partly because they’ve already been girls in G4 - it wouldn’t have worked in 2010.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@ILoveMyoozik  
Archetype is definitely the word for it.

And there is nothing wrong with archetypes. Every story has already been told, it’s about how you tell it and the way you combine different elements.
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@GenericArchangel  
Oh I’m not saying that there’s something wrong with it, I just didn’t think it would fit what I was saying judging by its definition.

But in that case, then yes I see them as archetypes rather than stereotypes.
RaineV1

@GenericArchangel  
I would say the problem is you’re taking one of the very few cartoons that’s mostly a female cast and removing one of them for the sake of equality. How many other popular, successful cartoons in the west have a primarily female cast? It’s actually pretty damn rare. You’re taking a part of what makes MLP different away from it.

You also run into the problem of that character just becoming a token, which usually ends badly.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Latecomer  
Rarity’s archetype on a guy is something I’m sad has never happened. Like, I’m a dude and I fucking love dressing up all nice and shit. If I had more money I’d own like a trillion suits, it’s real fun. But no, we don’t ever see that because of gender norms.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide