Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@DanielTepesKraus

I highly doubt one singular incident would’ve caused Trixie to develop narcissism to the degree she displayed in S3, judging from the fact that she was already acting in such a way in Boast Busters, if less maliciously.

That’s why I think you shouldn’t quite take Trixie’s word at face value in Magic Duel on how she was harrassed wherever she went: her egotism had already led her to assign more than zero blame to someone who’d done literally nothing to her for ruining her, so why should we think she was a reliable narrator, 100%, at that point?

Or to look at it another way: would Discord ever tell a lie or stretch the truth to make himself look better?
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@Twi Clown  
i guess a different way to put it, is if i was writing “rehabilitation” stories for those two characters, so to speak, i’d probably write trixie’s the way the show did starlight’s: treating her as if she really just has minor issues here and there, and treating her as a reasonably decent person when left to her own devices, and characters shrugging off her little relapses as not that bad.

conversely, if i was writing starlight’s i would have had her sent to tartarus like cozy glow, with maybe twilight advocating for her to get a second chance since she sympathized with her while nobody else was willing or able to trust or like her. then, a ways down the season, it would be more or less handled like discords: twilight would bring up that starlight had been well-behaved in custody, and that she wanted to give her a chance, and it would be held under rather close scrutiny with the mane six having a contingency plan if she went off her nut again.

@AC97  
honestly you never know. there’s just as much possibility discord was lying about his attachment to fluttershy and starlight was lying about the impact of being dumped. i tend to not give too much thought to that level of what-if kind of thinking. to me it’s like those fan theories of things where it’s like “what if x is dead and the whole show is purgatory”: it is objectively possible but so universally applicable that it ends up being meaningless.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DanielTepesKraus

In any case, the town really did treat her like shit in Boast Busters, and the fact that Rainbow Dash seemed like she was going to assault her at the end of the episode (she was about to chase her down via flight), before Twilight told her not to, I think that’s almost objective proof that the writer of Boast Busters absolutely didn’t intend the viewer to sympathize with Trixie, for whatever godawful reason.

(Just decided to rewatch that episode, Trixie’s debut)

@ILoveMyoozik

Why was that thing just sitting in some random shop in the first place? Celestia should’ve acquired that damn thing a long time ago, assuming she had any idea it existed, or knew where it was.

…speaking of which, maybe the Ashlands Timeline was the result of her putting that thing on in an act of desperation.
Hakirayleigh
Wahaha! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
@DanielTepesKraus  
That would be good. Starlight was ready for her punishment. Notwithstanding, Twilight and Spike were the only witnesses about major Starlight crimes, plus the mane6 always agree Twilight final decisions (Maybe some cases with Fluttershy pushes). Maybe a six season episode about our town ponies feel really uncomfortable with Twilight, Trixie and Starlight visit cause she wants to amend her mistakes would have been great. But the staff never wanted other ponies decide the final sentence about top villains.
Hakirayleigh
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Economist -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
@AC97  
That would credible but Trixie using magical artifacts or hazardous spells, not only the alicorn amulet base power.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DanielTepesKraus

In my opinion, those “what-ifs” are notably less plausible than “what if Trixie was blowing something slightly out of proportion in her second appearance while recounting her experiences,” considering she really was a self-aggrandizing liar in her first appearance, so it wouldn’t have been the first time she’s misled people at all.

(Probably should clarify, I don’t see what she did under that artifact’s influence as being 100% her fault, but I do assign responsibility for her getting it and putting it on)

Anyway, long story short, aside from headcanons that we can argue with ad nauseam, I believe S6 was Trixie’s true redemption, not S3, just as S3 wasn’t really Discord’s redemption, but the end of S4 was.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Twi Clown
i guess a different way to put it, is if i was writing “rehabilitation” stories for those two characters, so to speak, i’d probably write trixie’s the way the show did starlight’s: treating her as if she really just has minor issues here and there, and treating her as a reasonably decent person when left to her own devices, and characters shrugging off her little relapses as not that bad.
conversely, if i was writing starlight’s i would have had her sent to tartarus like cozy glow, with maybe twilight advocating for her to get a second chance since she sympathized with her while nobody else was willing or able to trust or like her. then, a ways down the season, it would be more or less handled like discords: twilight would bring up that starlight had been well-behaved in custody, and that she wanted to give her a chance, and it would be held under rather close scrutiny with the mane six having a contingency plan if she went off her nut again.

That’s… kinda of how it was. Starlight was explicitly in custody at the end of season 5, she’s basically trotting into her parole hearing. And Twilight’s primary objections to Trixie are that 1: She personally doesn’t like her very much, and Trixie keeps antagonising her. 2: She doesn’t trust her for a moment around her ex-con parolee. Apart from that Trixie suffered absolutely no official consequences whatsoever for any of her actions.

Given Twilight releases Starlight at the beginning of season 7, Starlight is clearly a prisoner on day release. Twilight is responsible for her, organises her rehabilitation, and seems to take it very personally when she relapses.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

“I know there’s no excuse for what I did, but I want you all to know that I’m ready for whatever punishment you think is fair.”

Trixie: “It’s the least I could do. I treated you and your friends so horribly when I was wearing that Alicorn Amulet. I just couldn’t control myself. You can forgive me, can’t you?”
Twilight Sparkle: “Hmmm. Sure.”
Trixie: “Oh, good. Don’t you think the Great and Apologetic Trixie is the most magnificent humble pony you’ve ever seen?!

I can’t imagine which one would give you more confidence in a person, can you?

If Trixie trying to one-up her didn’t get to Twilight, she wouldn’t just be a good pony, she’d be a saint. It’s the same reason Twilight has had problems getting along with Discord in the past.

That being said, as of Season 8 (and presumably onwards), Twilight and Trixie appear to be on actually decent terms now, judging from their brief interaction in Road to Friendship.
Hakirayleigh
Economist -
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
@Philweasel  
Starlight wasn’t ever a Twilight prisoner…Actually my only issue with Starlight is Twilight was more in a mother-child role and not a teacher-pupil one. Twilight was really a tame teacher in discipline…Of course I liked Starlight being a particular student that didn’t buy Twilight words all time, unlike Twilight and Celestia.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide