The My Little Pony Movie

Background Pony #BE35
@Philweasel  
it kinda did specially going by this very thread history alone going by this thread projections pre release most people had unbelievable expectations when it released & outcome was slightly worse then expected to point they ether left this thread or change there projections to mach outcome & basically pretend as if there statements there we’re said before or leading up to film if bronies are willing to go links like 2nd part I just mentioned then yes it did underperformaned otherwise they basically go “forget what I said before this is now prediction” so yes it did underperform otherwise fandase by changing its expectation to mach on how movie really did & basically throughing away does unbelievable projection they had before it released and ignoring the fact that it was not long ago that they themselves said it so yes it did underperforman & Derpibooru commenters way to deal with is to basically change or ignore previous history

not really impressive since Lego Ninjago Movie basically had same goal as MLP Movie difference is it made 119 million so not really even when it comes to animated toy driven kids movies
Background Pony #BE35
@Philweasel  
yes but even with that it still did way better then MLP FIM overall specially if you use the same principals with Lego Ninjago movie as you did with MLP movie and add toy sales to mix since like MLP movie the Lengo Ninjago movie was also toy driven

that was your expectations sure but its goes for everybody in this thread really

anyway this is my last post for the night
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

So I realized a few interesting things after churning the “Friendship has failed you too.” line.

The first half of the first act is from Twilight’s perspective, and the second half has the same events mirrored and from Tempest’s perspective. We’re conveniently ignoring the part where the Mane Six depart on their journey.

*Twilight is meditating to stay calm  
*Her composure breaks  
*She talks to Spike  
*She talks to the other three princesses in order to explain her plan  
*Twilight and her friends work together to make the festival work

*Tempest and her goons wreck the festival  
*Tempest talks to The Storm King and explains what’s going on  
*Tempest talks to Grubber  
*Tempest loses her composure  
*Tempest takes a breath and regains her composure as the act ends

This one I noticed awhile ago. The Movie has a recurring Sphere motif. Tempest’s interaction with spheres is symbolic of the various stages of her character progression.

*As a filly, she and her friends play with a toy ball  
*When her horn is shattered, it’s surrounded by a sphere  
*The magnitude of her new handicap is conveyed by her no longer being able to do the literal child’s play of picking up a ball with magic  
*When she’s tasked with capturing the princesses, she uses the obsidian orbs, which are spheres that she can quickly and precisely kick  
*At the end of the movie, she uses her horn to create fireworks, which explode in brilliant spheres of light

What got me thinking about this next bit is a contradiction. Tempest says “I’m nothing like you!”, but at the end of the song, she says “Face it… Princess… Friendship has failed you too…” A bit part of Tempest’s character is that she’s can’t show any weakness or vulnerability. So I think in addition to explaining her backstory and life philosophy, Open Up Your Eyes is her reassuring herself that she’s defeated Twilight, so confiding in her wouldn’t be a sign of weakness.

Going back to the sphere motif, there’s another parallel between Tempest and Twilight. They both put themselves in danger in order to retrieve a sphere. When Tempest did it, she was doing it for her friends, it cost her her horn, and then her friends turned their backs on her. When Twilight did it, she had turned her back on her friends, and it cost her friends that were willing to help her. At that point in her character arc, Twilight had become the very same type of friend that caused Tempest to go down her dark path. This adds an extra layer of meaning to “Friendship has failed you./I failed friendship.”
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Background Pony #A307  
No it didn’t. The budget/box office ratio was worse, audience rating on RT was worse, and it is the worst performing movie of it’s franchise.

The MLP Movie on the other hand is the most profitable animated movie Hasbro has ever made.
Background Pony #BE35
it did its budget was 70 million & made back double plus some so Ratio was good enufff to get them to 100 million mark & RT audience ratings only really make since during opening week they become kinda useless after that when we see the whole picture

MLP being Hasbro most profitable seems like fallow victory at this point because it was an easy mountain to claim

good night for real
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Background Pony #A307  
I’m… sorry to quibble, but 116 isn’t 2x70.

The Ninjago movie made back 170% of it’s budget. The best guesses we have for the MLP budget are 8mil, 25mil and 30mil. These, in order are 525%, 200% and 167% of budget.

Hasbro of course will claim that the film cost 65mil, and so it was a massive financial failure. Because tax fraud is fun!
Background Pony #BE35
@Philweasel  
sorry about that let me rephrase that some: it already made 70 million back plus about 40 million more plus. but all that said all other stuff from my previous post I still stand by it

Now real good night
Background Pony #BE35
@Philweasel  
additional post responding to your edits: yea one of the reasons having conversation about are completed we don’t have a full picture/full answer to it all its like puzzle set that has pieces to corners but no pieces to the middle
MrSeyker

@Background Pony #A307

Lego Ninjago is 3D, which doesn’t have a comparable budget, is 3D, which sells better than 2D features these days, and its LEGO, which had a lot of good faith from audiences after the doible hit of Lego Movie and Lego Batman.

You are literally comparing apples and oranges.
Hollowfox, Always The Worst Person
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Est. 2012
@MrSeyker  
Well, unlike The first Lego Movie and Lego Batman, this one had a mixed reception.

Idk, maybe it has something to do with the voice actors or the story or the fact that it’s Ninjago.

And I thought Lego, unlike Hasbro, is critic-proof since their first two Lego Cinematic Universe films.
MrSeyker

@Hollowfox the Stallion

Ninjago was in a weird position, because it departed from the show in ways fans might not appreciate to try and make it more like the Lego Movie and Lego Batman, while at the same time not following the formula of the the previous two Lego movies, which is what captured critics and audiences (I recall a lot of people complaining the environments and effects not being Lego for instance).
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@MrSeyker  
Really Ninjago disappointed expectations (because of the franchise) and MLP exceeded them (because of the franchise) but at the end of the day their budget to profit ratios (if the budget really was 30mil) are almost identical.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide