MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
I’ve also always not been able to stand how so many out of touch MLP influencers destroyed G5’s name with rubbish, as many already know. Still, what matters above all else is that MLP’s target audience is staying into the series and Hasbro has not been doing a good job drumming up excitement.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@TheQuietMan
I read it all and the one main thing I do agree with is that it feels like the entire enterprise was poorly planned from the start. I like the new generation, probably more than I should admit and it does have good stories that I enjoyed, but lately I’ve been getting the feeling that Hasbro didn’t know what to do with the next generation after G4 ended. It’s like they expected it to be the next instant smash like how FIM was and tried anything and everything to get success only to get diminishing returns. Reason why TYT is so big is because of its simplicity and its easier access to the target audience instead of a longer program blocked behind a paywall that their parents have to pay for.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Or, MYM ended once the overarching questions were answered and the villain was defeated.
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person in this fandom with Media Literacy.
river mines

Did they create an entire special of the 3D show to end with a cliffhanger for a five-minute 2D show?
I’m sorry but this excuse is not well told,
There are only two explanations
or Hasbro had plans to have a 3D show after they decided to cancel it because MYM didn’t work out (but MYM itself wasn’t canceled, I agree)
or if that genuinely was the plan means G5 has very bad and negligent story planning.
They started with a theatrical film, to continue the story in a 3D Netflix show and then continue the story with a five-minute 3D show.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@river mines
I think the deal is that they’d like to do another 3D show, but there’s a problem that goes beyond MLP. Even if G5 did get the same attention as G4, Hasbro is Hasbroke right now. Even while FiM was still airing, they were struggling financially.
river mines

In the case of G4, it was originally supposed to last 3 seasons, but the success meant that it was extended to 9 seasons, that’s the triple.
and yet, the last episode of the third season, like it or not, functions as the series finale.
So If the writers did SoS the way they did, aware that it was possible MYM wouldn’t continue beyond the episodes that were ordered, was their mistake.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@river mines
Technically, after the movie, they continued the story with TYT first, since it has episodes that take place between the end of the movie and the start of MYM. I think the ending of MYM was meant to wrap up the Opaline Arc, but without making it seem like the generation as a whole was ending.
If you go back and watch Seasons 2 and 3, it becomes very clear that the show was not originally supposed to last three seasons. And Magical Mystery Cure does not function as a series finale.
Like, at all.
Rainbow Dash isn’t a wonderbolt. The CMC don’t have their marks. We don’t know about Applejack’s parents. Fluttershy hasn’t overcome her shyness. Rarity’s career hasn’t reached its apex. And Twilight becoming an alicorn raises more questions than it answers.
river mines

@DerpyFast
TYT were just a bunch of 5 minute shorts, this is extra content with very little influence on the show and most importantly MYM was planned in 2020 at the time of the film’s production, from the beginning there was the plan to link the 3d film with a show 3d.
If you don’t consider magic cure a proper ending that’s fine, but then the same applies to SoS literally ends with the villain going after the protagonists.
and was that the plan from the beginning? Did they EVER plan to make a 3D Netflix show that ended with a Cliffhanger, so the story could continue in a show with 5 minute YouTube episodes? If that was it, then at the very least we can agree that g5 has crazy planning.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@river mines
The Root of All Evil functions as the series finale for MYM. And then Secrets of Starlight is just sort of tacked on after, like a post-credits scene that’s 44 minutes for some reason.
It’s weird, but it’s not like the overarching story of MYM ended on a cliffhanger.
river mines

@DerpyFast
Doing a 44-minute post-credits scene to end a story is a bad idea
and they ended the special with the mind-controlling villain seeking revenge against the protagonists and that was the plan all along? from the beginning was it Hasbro’s intention with everything going exactly as they planned?
river mines

Was that the plan? the idea was ever to have the 3D Netflix show end with a cliffranger for the 2D YouTube show that lasts 5 minutes each episode?
Is this the exact intention they had when they ordered SoS along with all the other specials and episodes?
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@river mines
It’s not there to end the story. And it’s less of a cliffhanger and more of a case of “the adventure continues”, because just The Root of All Evil would have been too final.
Now, granted, it’s pretty unusual to wrap up a show but to continue the universe without a time skip. And it’s entirely possible that there was a cancelled second season. But after nine seasons of FiM, they probably wanted to put out a show that actually tells a complete story. And the more I rewatch FiM, the more convinced I am that the five-minute format of TYT is a response to the number of artificially padded episodes G4 had.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@CloudMistDragon
I already got the intent from the start, I just personally wish that they continued on the Allura arc with MYM since the longer runtime would’ve benefitted greatly from it.
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Badge Dragon
While I do feel SoS felt like a tacked-on anti-climax, I don’t think I’d mind as much if it didn’t insert itself on top of the Opaline resolution 5 seconds after she’s defeated.
I don’t like that they barely get a second to enjoy the satisfaction of their victory before immediately getting dragged into a new conflict. Roots of all Evil doesn’t even end before they’re introduced to the portal that will lead them to their next big villain. It’s one of the things I prefer about The Rise and Fall, it actually provides an ending and breather from Opaline’s Arc ending. Sunny - satisfied with and proud of their accomplishments - flying to the Brighthouse as the episode ends, is one of my favorite bits of the Generation.
Yeah, they also get into the SoS stuff an episode later, but at least it waits until that next episode.
river mines

Again, was this the marketing idea from the beginning? When they planned g5 did they exactly have the idea of doing all the work of developing the main story into a 3D Netflix show, but then transferring the main story to a 5 minute 2D YouTube show? Is this exactly the guideline that the MYM and TYT writers had? did they write each episode aware of this fact long before MYM ended?
Jonny Manz
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
@river mines
I like to think SoS was made with the idea that it could be continued in TYT, yes, as it involves a lower-stakes villain - whether that was to buy time for production of a second order or just due to MYM ending, I couldn’t say (I like to think that if it was the former, they were giving TYT a storyline to play with while they would work on, say, the Mane Six trying to go to Skyros or something)
It’s weird placement, but it doesn’t change the fact that the whole Opaline arc is a complete story, so it’s not a bad thing in my eyes (it also helps that I enjoyed it)
river mines

If so, then I agree that it’s planning that makes sense (I want to believe that we will have another 3D show)
they place Allura as a character that is developed in TYT, then in MYM2 they possibly present her mystery brother as an important antagonist.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide