The Virus Outbreak Thread

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Thanks to friends in high places, I have a copy of both the Pfizer and Moderna reports.

Everything the submitted to the FDA and Congress. Going to look over them tonight.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Background Pony #3799

Curiosity really.

I’ve never had the chance to go over vaccine development and emergency authorization data.

I fully trust the process, I’m just interested. I have a few friends in the Beltway and one just brought me the papers on a whim. They’re not classified or anything, just tricky to get ahold of outside of govie jobs.

full

See, nothing special. Just neat.
Background Pony #2E27
Curiosity really.
I’ve never had the chance to go over vaccine development and emergency authorization data.
To be fair, I suspect most people have never had a chance to go over something like that. I mean, how often does a situation that requires something like this even occur?

At any rate, you should share your thoughts when you’re done. I’d be curious to hear them.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Registered Anon

I’m a little drunk so let’s see if I can science.

Those two are mRNA vaccines. Traditional vaccines use dead or denatured viruses (or virus parts) to act as training dummy’s for the body. They react to the virus and produce antibodies.

MRNA vaccines inject an RNA code attached to a messenger protein that contains the precise genetic instructions to produce antibodies keyed to surface elements of the virus. In this case the spike protein of covid-19. It skips the training step and just gives the memory T-cells the cheat codes.

As for the difference between the two, very little. Modernas uses a slightly different variation that requires a longer time between injections but at the benefit of being able to be stored at higher temps. Pfizer’s takes less time, but is less stable at higher temps.
Registered Anon
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Squirrel - Had a squirrel badge before it was cool

Drama in the comments
@Zincy  
I think I knew the Moderna and Pfizer ones were RNA based somehow, I just wasn’t sure how they worked. So basically the mRNA ones cut out the middleman.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Registered Anon

Aye, more or less. If they work as advertised, they will revolutionize vaccines.

You want a vaccine for cancer? MRNA is how you’d do it. HIV? Same thing.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Registered Anon

The women who discovered the mRNA technique was belittled, demoted, and mocked for her idea that we could directly influence the memory T cells.

Now, her base research may save the damn world.
Background Pony #CD56
@Zincy  
Yeah, misogyny can sure make humanity digs its own grave.

I hope people start to realize this.
lonewolf
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

U mad?
Moderna’s vaccine fully approved. Their initial shipment will be 6 million doses. And the less stringent cold storage requirements will help get it to extremely rural areas..

Plus according to the article if you happened to have stock in that company you’re rich now. Their shares went from $17 in January to nearly $170 now.
O. Hancock
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
@Zincy  
I always thought female nerds were usually better at what they do than males, because you see a guy in a lab coat and you’re like, “did this guy actually want to be here or did his parents and society just push him to go to college and do it?” But at least where I come from, the only “pushing” women get towards STEM fields is from the occasional motivational billboard or tv advertisement, and that’s not very convincing. I don’t think anyone goes to college and becomes a scientist because of a billboard. They’re there because either they were pushed or they wanted to be there, and I think the average woman scientist is probably the latter. People are always better at what they do when they want to do it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide