Cartoon/Western Animation General

DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
There’s one thing that will probably always bother me. A circumstance that, frankly, I never really understood. This is why Western cartoon shows believe that single independent episodes are better than a continuous storyline. Is there a particular reason for this, or is it just still so much in the minds of authors and producers? Do they teach that in any media schools? I don’t know.

I mean, there are Western cartoon shows with an ongoing storyline. And not just today. I still clearly remember The New Adventures of Flash Gordon. It’s just something that catches my eye and I ask myself, how does it decide whether a show is created one way or another? What do producers of individual episodes hope to achieve? Is it just a personal opinion that with single episodes you might be able to focus better on individual characters? Or does the concept of a continuous storyline contradict the way studios want to protect from investing too much money and time if the show is not successful?
Applepie1973

Nostalgia Purist
These superstar Seahorse Guardians
are making a splash, saving the day
and protecting the seven seas.
Dive into an enchanting, undersea world with the Seahorse Sisters, secret defenders of the deep.
Eager, adventurous SUZY RAYLIGHT is always the first to make a splash. Bouncy, bubbly TWINKLY PEARL finds laughter and sunshine in the darkest depths. Shy, sensible COMET CURIE is as smart and loving as a mama whale. Dark, enigmatic CRYSTAL MYSTIQUE can’t resist a mystery - the weirder the better! Bold, buoyant FURY DIAMOND likes to be in charge. She’s always ready to take the plunge.
These spectacular seahorse pals go to school at Coral Castle and share an exciting and challenging secret. When evil threatens, they transform into Seahorse Unicorns with extraordinary aqua-powers and defend the Kingdom of Aquaria from the evil machinations of MALICIA DEEP! I know, right?! She’s a total undertow. Only Headmistress AURA SHINING knows the girls’ true potential. Once a Seahorse Unicorn herself, she quietly trains the new batch of super sea guardians in the guise of managing their underwater band, Coral Kaboom, the rockin’est superstar-fish to tour Davey Jones’ Locker!
It’s not easy juggling class, homework, band practise and protecting the sea. But with a little friendship and whole lot of fun the Seahorse Sisters are ready to save the ocean blue for me and you!
Seahorse Sisters is the wild and watery a, aquatic adventure series from bigchild. Take a dip with these warm-hearted defenders of the deep as they learn, laugh and love, finding strength in friendship and dazzling derring-do. Dance and prance, Seashorse Sisters!
78 x 11 min. 2D animation for girls 6-9.
created
eeeeh. that one horse does kinda look like rarity, i guess.
full
kinda look like seapony knock offs. the artstyle isn’t helping.

Silver Quill:Please don´t sing shoobedoo
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
Eh, TBH I’ve found that I kinda prefer a blend of the two. Have there be a larger, overarching story, but have there also be individual plots confined to each single episode so we can finish each episode and feel like it has a nice conclusion. Shows like Twin Peaks (first two seasons) and Avatar (if we’re sticking strictly to animation) exemplify this.

The issue I’ve found with the pacing of a lot of Netflix toons is that each one is meant to be watched in order and often doesn’t have a satisfactory beginning and end as an episode. Which I guess makes some sense if you’re meant to binge the entire season in one sitting, but I don’t usually have time for that. Plus it means that things like worldbuilding get pushed to the side with every episode having to push the plot ahead and none left just for development.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Thanotos Omega  
Indeed. That’s a major issue I’ve had with The Dragon Prince, a show that I mostly like, as well as a few other Netflix toons in that same vein. So far, Kipo has mostly been subverting that, but that may be because it’s not primarily an action show. (Which reminds me, I need to finish that show.)
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@TheHappySpaceman  
Yeah, I agree, independent stand alone episodes aren’t a bad thing, not everything has to be some “epic story-driven soap opra where every little thing that happens matters,” (and as stated, those kinda shows can be annoying too, if they require you to see every episode, and as you said focusing too much on the plot, and not the characters can be annoying too) but continuity doesn’t hurt either. There needs to be balance.

And I feel there are many story/continuity driven “Western” shows now, (even as far back as TMNT 2003) so I don’t get why people act like they don’t exist.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Which is why I remain hopeful that streaming will kill this.
I kinda prefer a blend of the two.
There needs to be balance.

This. ;-)

I admit openly and honestly, I love a long, epic storyline in every medium and genre. But indeed, in my opinion, a certain balance can and must be found. Single independent episodes are not really up to date for me these days. But of course this is only my purely subjective opinion. They still work very well in shows that are based on a certain slapstick and goofy characters.

And I have no problem with that at all. I also like to watch such shows from time to time. But on the whole, especially with the orientation towards a streaming market, I think that well-balanced shows with a continuous storyline (or at least a clearly recognizable red thread/leitmotiv) would have a better future. Not to mention that this would be more to my personal taste. ;-D

@Cyborg_pony

Twitter and Co often give a whole new meaning to the term “follower”, don’t they? ;-)
ShadowBolt Platinum

Don't lose your way!
I myself enjoy watching both story driven shows (Examples include Avatar: The Last Airbender and Steven Universe.) and slice of life shows (Examples include We Bare Bears and King of the Hill.).
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@ShadowBolt Platinum  
Same, it doesn’t have to be exclusively one or the other.

I hear Mike Judge is considering bringing back “King of the Hill,” though that might be on the backburner, as he’s bringing back Beavis & Butthead first. Which I don’t mind, because honestly the 2011 revival was great, and true to the original, so it was a shame that failed. (Mostly, because of MTV’s incompetence at airing the show at inconvenient times.)
Vortaxonus

These superstar Seahorse Guardians
are making a splash, saving the day
and protecting the seven seas.
Dive into an enchanting, undersea world with the Seahorse Sisters, secret defenders of the deep.
Eager, adventurous SUZY RAYLIGHT is always the first to make a splash. Bouncy, bubbly TWINKLY PEARL finds laughter and sunshine in the darkest depths. Shy, sensible COMET CURIE is as smart and loving as a mama whale. Dark, enigmatic CRYSTAL MYSTIQUE can’t resist a mystery - the weirder the better! Bold, buoyant FURY DIAMOND likes to be in charge. She’s always ready to take the plunge.
These spectacular seahorse pals go to school at Coral Castle and share an exciting and challenging secret. When evil threatens, they transform into Seahorse Unicorns with extraordinary aqua-powers and defend the Kingdom of Aquaria from the evil machinations of MALICIA DEEP! I know, right?! She’s a total undertow. Only Headmistress AURA SHINING knows the girls’ true potential. Once a Seahorse Unicorn herself, she quietly trains the new batch of super sea guardians in the guise of managing their underwater band, Coral Kaboom, the rockin’est superstar-fish to tour Davey Jones’ Locker!
It’s not easy juggling class, homework, band practise and protecting the sea. But with a little friendship and whole lot of fun the Seahorse Sisters are ready to save the ocean blue for me and you!
Seahorse Sisters is the wild and watery a, aquatic adventure series from bigchild. Take a dip with these warm-hearted defenders of the deep as they learn, laugh and love, finding strength in friendship and dazzling derring-do. Dance and prance, Seashorse Sisters!
78 x 11 min. 2D animation for girls 6-9.
created
eeeeh. that one horse does kinda look like rarity, i guess.
full
kinda look like seapony knock offs. the artstyle isn’t helping.
Silver Quill:Please don´t sing shoobedoo

So many anime tropes thrown around like a parody tornado (Parado?)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide