Unpopular opinion time

Latecomer

@AC97  
On the flip side, i it’s a universal rule, I doubt Starlight would phrase it that way, or need ot explain it at all.

Besides, wasn’t one side of Hurricane Fluttershy’s moral “you can only push yourself so far”? With the other part, of course, being “and sometimes that’s enough”.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@ILoveMyoozik  
I never got the whole brouhaha surrounding that episode when Daring Do was shown to be real

A lot of it came from the same noxious Rainbow Dash stans who created the Mysterious Mare Do Well ~controversy~ out of nothing, and for more or less the same reasons; it infuriated them that Dash was getting “shown up” by someone else in an episode that made her look like an ass.

Sombrashy is still news to me  
There’s one artist who’s reeeaaallly into it and cranks out a ton of high quality art for it, and they’re pretty much the tugboat that moves the entire ship along.

why are people treating them like they’re spawns from Tartarus?  
They are objectively horrible people and apocalyptically bad parents. They make me extra angry because they’re great characters and I would have loved to see them appear in some other unrelated context, but as Scootaparents the only way they’re not reprehensible scumbags is if the whole episode was a fantasy Scootaloo had about her friends actually getting to meet her beloved parents who disappeaared to their doom into the Everfree Forest or something when she was a tiny foal, and she’s been raised by Holiday and Lofty all along.

@gingerninja666  
Even though Daring Do is literally a Dash recolour, she never looked like one to me

I have a hard time getting around it, I just find it visually annoying. I still think it was a bad directorial choice and they should have given Daring, like, Scootaloo’s hair style or something and left the recolor for Dash’s imagination; it could have made for some hilarious scenes in Daring Don’t of Dash imagining how Daring would do something and having The Real Thing interrupt like Spike popping Twilight’s thought balloon in Lesson Zero.

@EotD  
very little in the world actually challenges her

It’s a valid criticism, but it could also be applied to Twilight Herself just as easily; ever since we saw her moving literally-tons-of-cargo with her brains in Boast Busters, she’s explicitly been on a level where the only thing holding her back from easily defeating all but the most worldwide existential threats is her lack of understanding of her own power and how to use it. Anypony who could pick up a freakin’ water tower full of surprise!milk and a giant baby space bear long before she she got an upgrade to the Alicorn G4 processor could just as easily have clapped Angry Starlight between two halves of a floating mountain, but instead she was… trying to head-laser her.

@AC97  
thirty percent skill and seventy percent confidence

Dash proved that herself back in Sonic Rainboom; she was crap at the competition until somepony was in danger, at which point her Hero Reflex kicked in and whooooosh!.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@ILoveMyoozik
I never got the whole brouhaha surrounding that episode when Daring Do was shown to be real

A lot of it came from the same noxious Rainbow Dash stans who created the Mysterious Mare Do Well ~controversy~ out of nothing, and for more or less the same reasons; it infuriated them that Dash was getting “shown up” by someone else in an episode that made her look like an ass.

This wasn’t the case at all. Everything about the controversy was about Daring Do being real. RD’s depiction literally had no bearing in it at all
Don't
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
Sombra gets shipped a lot because for a long time, even now, the Show was kinda lacking in the “Good Looking Males” department, so people used The few ones we had a lot
Latecomer

@TexasUberAlles  
I think you’re being a bit hard on the Scootaparents - they’re better than the impression given in Perental Glideance, at least. (And I’ve seen at least one guy quite upset at that.)
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@TexasUberAlles

And again, the aforementioned case of Fluttershy catching up to a Discorded Rainbow Dash, when really determined. (Sonic Rainboom did indeed air first though, being a S1 episode)

Speaking of Starlight, has she ever pulled a telekinesis feat anywhere close to what Twilight pulled in S1?
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@ILoveMyoozik

I have my doubts on that, cause why would Dash fans hold that type of grudge two seasons later to an unrelated episode?

Sombrashy is still news to me
There’s one artist who’s reeeaaallly into it and cranks out a ton of high quality art for it, and they’re pretty much the tugboat that moves the entire ship along.

Oh so it’s like that one artist who really likes GlitterShadow and constantly posts their art on the front page?

why are people treating them like they’re spawns from Tartarus?
They are objectively horrible people and apocalyptically bad parents. They make me extra angry because they’re great characters and I would have loved to see them appear in some other unrelated context, but as Scootaparents the only way they’re not reprehensible scumbags is if the whole episode was a fantasy Scootaloo had about her friends actually getting to meet her beloved parents who disappeaared to their doom into the Everfree Forest or something when she was a tiny foal, and she’s been raised by Holiday and Lofty all along.

Again, I am aware that they’re terrible people, but the hatred is way too extreme, seriously.
TexasUberAlles

@Prowl  
Everything about the controversy was about Daring Do being real

Well, there were certainly a lot of people who said it was about DD being real, usually after being called on complaining about “bad writing” and “plot holes” and “making Rainbow Dash look stupid” in a way that might as well have been a mad-lib with “MMDW” scratched out and “Daring Don’t” scrawled over it.

For whatever reason, Rainbow Dash draws more than her fair share of stans who can’t seem to grasp  
the concept of just saying they didn’t like an episode because ___ and moving on, and instead have to go on page-long tirades about why that episode was Objectively Bad and anyone who likes it is Objectively Wrong.

@Latecomer  
they’re better than the impression given in Perental Glideance, at least

It’s a town full of people happy to drop whatever they’re doing to help their friends and neighbors; if those two were going to priorotize their jobs/lifestyles over their own kid, they should have done the decent thing and just found a family to adopt her as a baby. Kids deserve a better life than Designated Afterthought, and that line about never being told she was the best at anything makes knife-to-the-heart sense now having seen that her own parents always thought strangling dangerous animals was more important than she was. Scootaloo is a freakin’ superhero for having turned out to be as relentlessly cheerful and happy as she is, most kids would have gone Full Trouble Shoes.

@ILoveMyoozik  
why would Dash fans hold that type of grudge two seasons later to an unrelated episode?

LOL they were still holding that grudge four seasons later in Newbie Dash. Commenters who hadn’t been around in two seasons or more came out of the woodwork to bash it for fairly obvious waifu reasons.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@Prowl
Everything about the controversy was about Daring Do being real

Well, there were certainly a lot of people who said it was about DD being real, usually after being called on complaining about “bad writing” and “plot holes” and “making Rainbow Dash look stupid” in a way that might as well have been a mad-lib with “MMDW” scratched out and “Daring Don’t” scrawled over it.
For whatever reason, Rainbow Dash draws more than her fair share of stans who can’t seem to grasp the concept of just saying they didn’t like an episode because ___ and moving on, and instead have to go on page-long tirades about why that episode was Objectively Bad and anyone who likes it is Objectively Wrong.

No, it is about Daring Do being real, and people didn’t like it, either with how it was handled or how much sense it made or not, whether or not you agree with it or not is irrelevant(because I certainly don’t, I actually enjoyed it, but it doesn’t change that it was a really fucking weird direction), Everything else you’ve been saying just sounds like your usual shitflinging, comparing two different episodes controversial for 2 totally different reasons
Latecomer

@TexasUberAlles  
But Scootaloo doesn’t want different parents - she likes the one’s she’s got, and admires what they do.

It is a bit strange her aunts weren’t already her full-time carers, though.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
@Latecomer  
I’d just call a spade a spade and admit that the situation is a kludge fix to the absent parents issue where the writers tried their hardest to give believable reasons for the 8-season parental absence without making the characters criminals.
gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
@EotD

Matter of Principals I’d say was an external challenge for her with Discord. As was To Where and Back Again. She tried to physically overcome Chrysalis and failed, forcing her to improvise a roundabout solution. The Parent Map was an external problem, at least as much as any map problem is. and then for most of Star’s other episodes she has someone like Trixie pessuring her.
Latecomer

@cheezedoodle  
The parental absence is plausible enough - it’s just the lack of any full-time substitute, especially when there’s a pair of obvious ones who for some reason do it on a ad hoc basis instead, that’s odd.
TexasUberAlles

“…My parents are coming home!”

“Really? Wow, did they get time off for good behavior? I thought they’d be in for another ten years at least, as many rare endangered animals as they were convicted of stealing.”
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@TexasUberAlles  
That’s too far, dude, they’re scientists. It’s their job.

They still could’ve been better parents, but to me, nothing proves their merit more than allowing Scootaloo to make her own choices regarding her life. She was old enough to do so, and then allowing it for her good is admirable.
TexasUberAlles

@GenericArchangel  
allowing Scootaloo to make her own choices regarding her life

That… only happened at the very end of the episode after they’d been browbeaten by various family members over having done exactly the opposite of that for the preceding [Scootaloo number] years.

Gallivanting about may be their job, that’s fine and it’s probably an important one, but Scootaloo is their daughter, and that’s the sort of thing that’s really supposed to come first; there aren’t a lot of family dramas or comedies out there where parents who put their career before their kids are considered the heroes of the story for doing it, regardless of how cool they or their careers might be.
Shayzorr
Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Emerald -
Economist -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Was it said in the episode that Scootaloo’s parents had been away for the entire past 8 seasons? If not, isn’t it plausible that they have been visiting home to see their daughter every now and then? The show has conveniently ignored other family members before this, and characters do have lives even when they do not appear on the screen.

It’s not exactly rare that work can take parents away from their children. Sailors can be months at the sea, and still care about their kids. They would probably want to be close to them, but sometimes they just can’t.
rdibp
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@Shayzorr  
Well the way how Scootaloo has been building them up and her comment in Parental Glideance, it’s implied that they’ve been away for most of her life.
Shayzorr
Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Emerald -
Economist -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

@rdibp  
Perhaps. Or perhaps she’s always so giddy when they return. We were also told she lives with her aunts, and we hadn’t seen them earlier either (in the show).
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide