Season 5 episode discussion (Stream & episode links in first post)

ColdhardSilver
Thread Starter - Cartoon/Western Animation General

Culture Vulture
@Crystal Neighybánya  
I can’t think of a argument that isn’t just a retread of the post you just replied to.  
I’d say that they “chose to forget” for that wasn’t the focus (of which I’ve explain before about my take on that here I think) and even then you still have her ideals shinning through the examples I gave. So sorry, but you can see the loop I’m in, right?
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@ColdhardSilver  
Yeah, Mary/Gary Sue has lost all meaning to me. Instead of meaning bad character, it now means “Character I don’t like”. Like how in wrestling spot monkey is their version of Mary Sue.

Also, I don’t have a problem with mary sues.
Aurora Glimmer

Wow! Glimmer
@MethidMan  
Causing the apocalypse out of a desire to keep your brainwashing cult from being broken up isn’t much better, though.

@ColdhardSilver  
We’re gonna have to agree to disagree. To me, it seems like the writers downgraded her motivation from “Starlight Glimmer wants to spread her brand of equality across Equestria” to “Starlight Glimmer wants revenge on the M6” because it would be easier to redeem her if the latter was her motivation as opposed to the former.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@PonyPon  
I said its lost its meaning, not that it means nothing to me. Besides, I can still say if I think a character is a Mary Sue, and still like them. Like Batman. He’s rich, has a lot of cool gadgets, always seems to beat anyone, even if it makes no sense, all the characters think high of him, knows almost every fighting style on earth, multilingual, and always seems to be the main focus of stories even if he isn’t that featured (like the report of him having more screen time then superman in the new superman movie).

Or Roman Reigns. Won the Royal Rumble, hardly ever takes a clean loss, main evented several PPV, the WWE constantly give him praise, uses moves no one else on the roster seem to use, and is supposedly going to be the next face of the company.

Those to have a lot of Mary Sue traits, but I like them.
Jades

@Crystal Neighybánya

Actually speaking of timelines I think SG redemption would’ve been way more impactful if there was an alternate time where she through the power of bullshit did win.

Her realization that she would become a monster/tyrant/whatever due to how she works her ideas would’ve been way better than that safe crapshoot ending we got. Just take out her crappy filler backstory and some other things.
Anon-a-Miss
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

This show really needs a villain who just pretends to be sorry and then punches/blasts Twilight in the face as soon as her guard is lowered.
Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@ice1517

He’s pretty much always either the main character, or one of them though. A Mary Sue by my definition is one that’s added in either a fanfic or official media that’s clearly not gone through enough quality control, in which a character is added that doesn’t respect the currently established standards in terms of power level, how quickly and with who they become friends/enemies with and their relationship with key characters, resulting in them eclipsing everyone else. Some sort of hidden superpower that somehow only felt like popping up now and is suddenly taking over the whole plot.

In MLP:FIM, only one character fits that description for me: Radiant Hope. At least with Batman you know what you’re getting into, you know a new character won’t suddenly pop up, own every single villain, become friends with every single main character and save the world a dozen times all in one night.
Poison Trail
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Who knows what would’ve happened if the time travelling actually made sense as opposed to arbitrarily becoming worse every single time no matter how the future is changed, heavens forbid they’d actually have to make said redemption work.

Plus it would ADD depth to the series by showing that they alone aren’t the only reason Equestria still exists. The expression on Twilight upon seeing a world better off without her alone would be worth it.
soundtea
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <soundtea> fappin to cartoon horses
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Ocellus is best buggo
@Crystal Neighybánya  
That’s what I just said. It didn’t change her right there (suddenly finding out removing Twilight and friends destroys the world would be a hard pill to swallow for anyone), but it was the catalyst that made Twilight’s speech to her work in the first place. Her ideals were shaken from it.
Jades

@Poison Trail

What are you talking about apparently without the Mane 6 Equestria would be completely and utterly fucked. Hell Starlight Glimmer has more plot holes in her backstory than the actual whole episode.
Jades

@soundtea

How were her ideals shaken from seeing a barren wasteland? Twilight didn’t say squat about her ideals about equality there. What actually happened was that she felt sorry because it would affect her.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide