Rainbow Rocks 10th Anniversary - Let's celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rainbow Rocks with an art event! Here

MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Badge Dragon
It wasn’t a bad episode, but I have to say these episodes where we aren’t even really introduced to new characters or settings make the 2 week breaks feel extra long.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
New TYT was good, even if it was another one of those simple plots, something that somewhat made me feel like I was watching a music video at times. :P Heart-to-heart talk Hitch had with Sparky was great though and that song SMACKED. First trash, then sneezes, now being lost, how do they make songs about stuff like this so epic? XD
Episodes Since Comet’s Last Appearance: 17
We do need a song about how Comet is lost though.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
The episode opened up with a reappearance of Sunny in her NMM costume. That’d be some prime drama material if she was secretly worried about becoming an evil alicorn for whatever reason.
But then we find out it’s all funhouse mirrors and eh.
I enjoyed the fluff but I’m craving the plot importance to return.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Just because one arc ends doesn’t mean that it won’t lead to the start of another.
But that’s the thing. Twilight becoming an alicorn wasn’t an arc. Season One worked because Twilight’s mission to learn about friendship served as the framework to learn about her and the other characters. The other characters have goals that would have been accomplished At The Gala, but then weren’t.
I’m willing to accept that Twilight was probably destined to become an alicorn, and they try really hard to make it feel right. But the events of MMC aren’t actually a payoff, and the episode raises more questions than it answers. Then we get Season Four and The Keys. The keys give us the map, the castle and the revelation that Twilight is meant to be “The Princess of Friendship”, which in turn just raises more questions. It endlessly begs the question of “where are they going with this?”. Then The Royal Sisters retire and Twilight takes the throne, for basically no other reason than “it’s the final season”.
Background Pony #E217
@DerpyFast
The problem is that the basic story beats make sense, but the backstory hasn’t made a lick of sense from the start. The entire gen’s built on the promise that it’s a distant sequel to G4 while using the promise of explaining how that’s possible has been the carrot on the stick prompting people to want to see more. The problem is that not one of the dozens of explanations or teased answers either make any sense at all or contradict everything that happened before it. G4 always kept things simple to Celestia and Luna ruling Equestria, with the Tree of Harmony thrown in as a magic source of everything. G5 meanwhile hasn’t explained anything about where anyone’s gone, what Opaline’s deal is, and even the story around the unity crystals changes every time it’s brought up. The writers keep continually baiting that one day everything will make sense but every new episode either raises more questions or just leaves everything hanging for another day.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@CloudMistDragon
Customers do it all the time, obviously not in front of employees and certainly not in front of whoever employed them. And even if they did, it’s not like businessmen cared, else Pibby would be greenlit already.
@Background Pony #13BA
Sunny has been tossed aside since forever. Even if you don’t include her, no one would even remember.
@Briarlight
Bout time, didn’t know she likes Flowers too. Maybe she is replacing Sunny. No one would care about her once she does.
@DerpyFast
So she needs to do nothing other than go to and stay at Skyros. Sounds perfect. Also I’m not gonna bother, you sound like that guy if he was always in a happy mood.
@Former Trini-Mite
You did, then you removed it from Derpi, the you posted in that site and shared the link here, for what reason? It’s not like your drawing broke the rules.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@Dragonpone
You don’t say, nothing about any new characters, Allura just feels empty even with the misunderstood jig since she practically did absolutely nothing to earn the title of villain. Misty’s redemption at least doesn’t feel artificial, there’s beginning, build up, climax and conclusion. Allura doesn’t even start from step 1.
@Zabilac
Oooooof, that’s gonna leave a mark.
@northern haste
Clearly there’s forced optimism to ignore that.
@Dustcan
Maybe you’re thinking it too shallow.
@Background Pony #E217
He’s just putting it simply that g4 is a bad show. And I don’t blame him or him.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@CloudMistDragon
Customers do it all the time, obviously not in front of employees and certainly not in front of whoever employed them. And even if they did, it’s not like businessmen cared, else Pibby would be greenlit already.
I…still don’t see why I shouldn’t be annoyed by the wrong people and things being blamed just because customers do it or why my opinions on corps matter.
@Background Pony #E217
He’s just putting it simply that g4 is a bad show. And I don’t blame him or him.
Or he could just be putting it simply that G4 has flaws that G5 has improved. Criticizing what you love is not the same as saying it’s bad.
evocov
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I find it funny that a common complaint is that the current TYT episodes “haven’t moved the plot or setting forward”, even though the collective plot has barely moved forward since the movie. Next to nothing has been established about anything in the setting, and even MYM was just 50% non-sensical exposition 50% Opaline pulling plans that relied entirely on Misty’s luck until the day it finally ran out. Granted at this point I miss even MYM’s illusion of a plot over TYT abruptly shoving in the Elements of Harmony just to get sidetracked on Misty’s new carnival and then completely forgetting who Comet and Allura were.
Zabilac

@Background Pony #E217
Or he could just be putting it simply that G4 has flaws that G5 has improved. Criticizing what you love is not the same as saying it’s bad.
Personally, I don’t really feel G5 improved on G4’s flaws, though they didn’t make it worse.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@Background Pony #4CB9
It’s not like this is the G5 thread or something. If people are allowed to make “G4 good, G5 bad” posts on a G5 thread for G5 fans to post their thoughts on the series…what’s the problem with “G4 bad, G5 good” posts that aren’t even calling G4 bad on a G5 thread?
Zabilac

I feel I should clarify that even though I make fun of Sunny’s role in the show, I do genuinely like her and wish the writers did more with her.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@Background Pony #4CB9
You have the right to be annoyed by what annoys you. However, the posts he makes are harmless and he has the right to an opinion just like you.
@Zabilac
That’s what I really liked about today’s episode, more Sunny and Hitch. Getting two Misty episodes back-to-back on a biweekly schedule makes me feel like it’s Misty Month. XP
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I should talk about the episode itself. I thought it was pretty fun. I liked the liminal space aspect, and I like getting to see Sunny, Hitch and Sparky hang out.
With one five-minute short every two weeks, you really feel the time between plot developments.
@Background Pony #4CB9
@Background Pony #4CB9
You could always just scroll past my posts.
The entire gen’s built on the promise that it’s a distant sequel to G4 while using the promise of explaining how that’s possible has been the carrot on the stick prompting people to want to see more.
That’s not necessarily true, though. People are also invested in the journeys of the new characters. And what, specifically, is preventing G5 from being a sequel to G4?.
The problem is that not one of the dozens of explanations or teased answers either make any sense at all or contradict everything that happened before it.
Can you give some examples?
G4 always kept things simple to Celestia and Luna ruling Equestria, with the Tree of Harmony thrown in as a magic source of everything.
G4 was a lot more complicated than that.
G5 meanwhile hasn’t explained anything about where anyone’s gone
That’s not true. We saw Spike. It’s been five generations and characters only live so long. Plus, the other kingdoms are physically far away from Equestria.
what Opaline’s deal is
We know what her deal is.
  • She’s from the alicorn homeland of Skyros.
  • She’s as old as The Royal Sisters.
  • Alicorns are supposed to be guides and protectors of ponykind. Opaline is a corruption of this, instead wanting to be worshipped as a god.
We know more about Opaline than we do about a lot of G4 villains. But villains don’t necessarily need to be deep or complex. The Flim Flam Brothers aren’t complex, but they’re great villains because they act as a foil for Applejack and her family.
and even the story around the unity crystals changes every time it’s brought up.
I’m not sure that’s true.
@evocov
My opinion on worldbuilding has changed a lot, especially after binging Avatar: The Last Airbender. In my mind, worldbuilding isn’t the number of facts and locations that have been established, but the number of little things that make you go “oh yeah! That is a thing that would happen!”. As a side note, Hurricane Fluttershy is one of the best worldbuilding episodes in the show for this reason.
The “story” of G5 is how the world and the characters evolve over time. Sort of like how in FiM Season One, it’s not the story that progresses, but our understanding of the characters.
Zabilac

While I salute the time and effort you put into your explanation, you really didn’t need to create an entire backstory with multiple paragraphs just to say this:
This basically means that there is a port location near the theme park - and we haven’t seen it. There are piers and boats there in the theme park area.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Furry Body Pillows - Preset and Custom Designs

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide