Downvoting is being replaced by Hiding

arcanedarness

@Background Pony #F625

“The majority of users […]”

We only could know what the majority of the users wanted if the mods added this question to everyone’s login and made impossible to login without answering the question. Even so, as this site is run by volunters, they are entitled to do as they want. It’s their choice, not ours.

I welcome this change. It avoids people getting silenced because their views (or fetishes) do not conform to the majority. It actually makes the site less of a safe space, as what becomes important is that some people like something, not that the majority dislike it.

I also would like to congratulate the derpibooru mods for their efforts to improve the site. Seems to me that the majority of the comments against this change are from Background Ponies, people who create accounts now, or gave their first post in this thread. I do believe many of them were the cited abusers.

The only thing I would ask for is that the downvote OC decides to go for a radical fashion change, and is reborn as hiding OC. The prospect of her dying seems to me to be the worst consequence coming from this change, XD.
Malvolio

Far-Right
So you were not happy about people downvoting the living hell out of Tumblr propaganda, and thus you take that option away from us? Lovely. Trans and Multicultural tags are still shit tho.
Steel Crescent
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Just A Bat
Removing the downvoting system is a really good thing. People used it just to hate on something they didn’t like. That doesn’t mean it was bad art. When it comes to upvoting that is a bit different. You click that because you like it and  
think it’s good art and that is usually reason enough to upvote something. when it comes to downvoting people would do it because they don’t like it and that person isn’t allowed to like or love what they want. That’s how i saw it used.

It was just a way to hurt someone’s feelings when they wanted to share something they loved or somepony they loved.  
So im happy this is gone now.
Malvolio

Far-Right
@Steel Crescent  
When I see things like Fluttershy in islamic burqua then I downvote because it was a bad art and even worse message.

Now Tumblr snowflakes have an illusion of acceptance, guess I’ll just have to leave a comment under every stupid political art explaining why I think it’s shit.
JetWave
Dala Vault - For supporting the site
Dala Vault - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art

@XVvajra  
Do you really believe people will start going through the effort of voicing their dislike, dislike they might not even be able to explain, just because the downvote system is gone? This isn’t helpful for artists at all.
Bryce
Artist -

For the record, I oppose this decision. I don’t have time or inclination to get into a big fight about it, but I believe downvoting was useful.
Steel Crescent
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

Just A Bat
@Nonymous  
Yes. It’s not fair to them. If you don’t like something there is no need to hurt that person or peoples feelings because you’re not a fan of said thing. Either hide it or filter it. Downvoting was basically a way of saying fuck you to that person and they aren’t allowed to like or love what they want because you don’t like it..
Background Pony #36EC
@XVvajra  
Most people aren’t experts in art though or have the ability to offer constructive criticism. They just know whether they like something or not. The goal of an artist (if it’s their goal) is to make something people enjoy. Now I will never know if a number of people aren’t enjoying it. It’s nice to compare the upvote number to the downvote number and speculate what people are enjoying and not enjoying. Now I can only guess based solely on upvotes, which can vary wildly by time of day something is posted.

I can appreciate the idea behind the change, but why remove the metric entirely? Like I said, it doesn’t even need to affect the score. I’d just like to see the number.
XVvajra
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Artist -

Make eveything huge
@JetWave  
I known but I see what the mods were aiming for more people giving out more construction criticism but it backfire also if people do voicing their dislike it will be rube, uninformed, and hurtful comment, or a well informed comment that point to what need to be improve.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: boop