The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Cyborg_pony

It’s frustrating because I want to like these characters, but with the exception of Miles and Kamala, none of them are written consistently well (Jane Foster as Thor got a little better, but her initial issues left a sour taste in people’s mouths and the way they made the original Thor unworthy of his hammer was mind-bogglingly stupid).

And even Miles and Kamala get hit with the character derailment stick in shitty events like Civil War II.

Which is another problem: Marvel JUST WON’T STOP doing constant events, usually in poor attempts to tie into the movies.

Remember when they said they were going to stop doing events for a while, only to literally announce several new events weeks later?

The new characters don’t really get time to grow because they keep going through all these ridiculous events.

And don’t get me started on Secret Empire…

Then again, I probably don’t really have any idea what I’m actually talking about since I’ve never actually read any of this stuff.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Jarkes  
Kamala is one of the most shoe-horned characters. It’s artificial popularity.

Like when Polygon gave SUNSET such a blowjob trying to make the game sound interesting “Being a spy! in a revolution!” What’s the gameplay? Housework, and not even that, you don’t even do them nor have to.

Miles has become more of a clone then Peter’s clones. the only thing people know him as is “the black spider-man”

Then there’s the emotional validation these characters get. It’s nauseating.

Some of them have done outright villainy, but “Hey, it’s okay. Because you’re you. And you’re special” or some garbage like that.

Then you have the insulting treatment of the ones people love. In the first book, Nick Spencer makes spider-man NOT ARREST THE ROBBER! At what point do you say “Hmm, yes. That seems right.” Without taking a massive blow to the head! Complete disregard for the character.  
What makes matter worse, he makes Spider-man reflect on why he does what he does in the beginning.

It’s face palm worthy writing.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Variant Edition blames Diversity & Comics for personal problems

Yup. This is happening. Unlike Gamers, comic fans have been beaten into the ground and the industry and stores have said “It’s either our garbage or nothing” and now when someone is going to give the fans what they want. They’re going to use and blame everyone on him and his fans.

It’s just like before. Pretty soon they’re mention the boogeyman that lives rent free in their heads.
Background Pony #A9CE
“After Nuking His Social Media & Going Into Hiding, Mark Waid Issues Lie-Filled Rant To BLEEDING COOL”

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcshlIAdf-s
Jarkes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
full

This is but one of the many insults and threats Gail Simone has received on Twitter after this situation.

Gail Simone had absolutely nothing to do with the situation. She is simply a popular female comic writer who has been outspoken about feminism.

Please, tell me more about how this isn’t just a harassment campaign.

Oh yeah, and the Antarctic Press said that they were not “bullied” or “intimidated” by Waid. But keep on believing that a guy who’s comic’s entire mission statement was “Fuck SJW’s” is “apolitical.”

At least Gamergate had SOME semblance of a legitimate point even if it almost immediately got co-opted by assholes. This has been nothing but bullshit since it started.
Background Pony #A9CE
Oh yeah, and the Antarctic Press said that they were not “bullied” or “intimidated” by Waid. But keep on believing that a guy who’s comic’s entire mission statement was “Fuck SJW’s” is “apolitical.”
At least Gamergate had SOME semblance of a legitimate point even if it almost immediately got co-opted by assholes. This has been nothing but bullshit since it started.

He’s saying “Fuck SJW’s” because they’re trying to shove identity politics where it doesn’t belong, resulting in poorly written stories that sell terribly because 1] a majority of the comics demographic don’t like them, 2] those that do aren’t even willing to buy those comics and support them, and 3] the comic pros behind these stories insult those who disagree with them politically, thus alienating potential customers.

As was said in the last video I linked, Jawbreakers: Lost Souls got as much support as it did on Indiegogo because, as it turns out, focusing on putting out a good product first and foremost without beating your readers over the head with political bullshit (kind of like almost every comic that D&C has reviewed positively like The Silencer, Zodiac Starforce, and The Hunt for Wolverine), while also not insulting your customer base, does wonders for your sales.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Background Pony #AABE

Love how you ignore that Gail Simone is getting attacked over this despite having nothing to do with this situation apart from being a female comic writer. How odd that you would do that…

By the way, comics have been political since their inception.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
And how ODD that you guys don’t seem to have a problem when Nick Spencer repeatedly insulted people who didn’t like Cap being turned into a Nazi… Or when he made straw SJW’s minor antagonist in the Sam Captain book…

Speaking of which, Spencer isn’t the one who made Sam Captain America. But I wouldn’t expect people who watch Diversity and Comix to know that, since he’s the one who got that wrong.
Background Pony #A9CE
@Jarkes  
I obviously don’t approve of sending mean tweets to anyone, Gail Simone included, but that comment, and most likely whatever else she’s receiving, is child’s play compared to what D&C has gotten, such as Michelle Perez threatening to make him a quadriplegic and claiming that D&C was dishonorably discharged from the army when there’s evidence to the contrary.

Comics being political since they were made is no excuse for bad writing. X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills is considered one of the best stories involving that team, not because it was political, but because Chris Claremont crafted a well-written story first and foremost and didn’t let personal politics get in the way.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Now, all that said, in the interest of being fair and not displaying a double standard myself, I will also note that Spencer himself also got death threats and harassment over the Hydra Cap shit, and that’s not okay either. Harassment and death threats are NEVER okay regardless of who the target is.

And if Richard got harassment and death threats over his videos or comic, then I would defend him too, even though I still think he’s full of shit.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Seriously, though, it still amazes me that Spencer got called out on how poorly he responded to critics by Dan Slott of all people.

You KNOW you’ve fucked up when you have lost the moral high ground in such matters to Dan Slott.
Cyborg_pony

@Background Pony #AABE  
There was the incident with Heather Antos an ex- Work girlfriend Assistant editor tried to slander him by saying he was a neo Nazi And tried to have his patreon shut down

Attacking someone for criticizing their comics beats mean tweets and mug harassment.

And remember; she was such a fan of comics, that didn’t even remember went the book she edits about a character designed after her releases  
full  
Like, Lucky for you it was like, sent to print and some junk!

Also, I believe Gail Simone was mentioned. She’s one of the people who was fired for not doing her work but whined and used her gender as a means to be rehired only to make one of the worst Batgirl runs. She is a comic pro just like Waid, Spencer and others.  
Another person in the industry people don’t like for her constant failing upwards. He new Domino book will sink just as fast as her last books.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Cyborg_pony

>fired for not doing work and then “whined” and “used her gender” to be rehired

Citation needed.

>”Worst Batigirl runs”

Yeah, sure that’s why it was widely praised by even non-comic fans… Oh wait, I guess that doesn’t count because it’s people you don’t agree with.

Do I have to once again point out that sales almost never reflect actual quality?

Also, people forget things. That’s human nature.
Background Pony #A9CE
@Jarkes  
Sales might not translate into actual quality, but they do translate to how much people like something, praise and reviews be damned. If a comic sells under 10,000 units, that’s a sign that not many people liked that comic, no matter how much praise it got.

@Jarkes  
You seem to forget that D&C and his fans and peers sometimes tend to butt heads and disagree with each other. Mostly in regards to movies (such as his negative review of Spider-Man: Homecoming and positive reviews of both Fant4stic and The Last Jedi), but there was also that time where he suggested that Dan Slott be given a promotion.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Background Pony #AABE

Okay, fine. Maybe I’m just a bit frustrated because of having to deal with people who actually ARE legitimately sexist or racist or what have you regarding these matters and I took it out on you guys. I’m sorry for that. I don’t believe any of you are like that.

Either way, I still think D&C is a douchebag and a lot of this shit is way overblown.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
I just feel that, whatever GG and Comicsgate’s original intents were, they very quickly got co-opted by assholes.
Cyborg_pony

@Jarkes  
I think that might be another person, but she has used “sexism” and her gender as an excuse from criticism.

The fact many jumped on the fired being a caused by sexism kind of shows the I was right her being the one I was thinking about. She’s also the one that came up with the “woman in the fridge” trope, which was the merit she was hired on. an original token hire.

She used identity politics to get into the comics industry.

Someone can hit a homerun a few times, but still have a shitty batting average.

Also, just a side note: She’s EXTREAMLY petty
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
@Jarkes  
You could say the same about Feminism too. I personally hate assholes for being assholes and let the banner they ride under stand on its own merits.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Plain Pony

Oh yeah, there are absolutely some feminists who only end up hurting the movement and are just assholes. I just wish people were able to discern between them and actual, legitimate progressives more easily.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide