Computers general(help, advice, talk)

atalarikt
Artist -

EqG fan + Love Liver
A few weeks ago, I got the USB shortcut virus. Cleaned it with little to no problem, the only problem now is, how do I delete the System Volume Information folder in my USB drive? It’s just annoying to look at.
luna the great!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Alicorn enthusiast
My computer was running slow so I rebooted and when I turned it back on it said windows defender was off but I was able to turn it back on. Is my computer infected with something, or is it normal for defender to turn off? It was just this once?

I scanned for virus but nothing came up. I don’t know if I’m just freaking out for nothing.
wenni
HARD WERK - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art and really hates Applejack
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Pit Lord
@luna the great!  
Completely normal. That’s one of the reasons why Windows Defender isn’t very good. In fact, it could’ve been why your computer was being slow. Real-time antivirus can do that, especially without a good CPU.

I’d recommend sticking with Malwarebytes and scanning every once in a while without Defender running at all. If you need Real-time protection, Malwarebytes Premium is exceptional, but it costs money.
atalarikt
Artist -

EqG fan + Love Liver
I want to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1, but am scared to lose a lot of programs I’ve installed. Sure, I still have back-ups of them (including installation programs), but I’m somewhat still scared.
wenni
HARD WERK - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art and really hates Applejack
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Pit Lord
@atalarikt  
Huh. I just did that about a week ago (before my CPU broke and now I don’t have a computer). As long as you still have everything backed up, you should be fine. Don’t be frightened, it’s just time consuming :P
atalarikt
Artist -

EqG fan + Love Liver
@wenni  
Now the only problem is this. When I tried installing Windows 8.1 on all of the 4 hard disk partitions I have, I got this message.

“Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.”

I use a flash drive as the media, as a side note.
wenni

Pit Lord
@atalarikt  
You might need to delete the current partitions since they’ll be cleaned anyways. If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to fiddle with DiskPart.
atalarikt
Artist -

EqG fan + Love Liver
Cancelled the downgrade from 10 to 8.1. I just realized that I have too little room in my flash drives to save all of my files…
Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

ok i am having a pretty bad problem

neither Paint Tool SAI nor Sketchbook Pro 6 will work. SAI “opens” it shows up in processes tab, but there is no window. I have tried 3 different versions i have, running as admin, reinstalling, etc Nothing works.

Sketchbook Pro 6 just hangs as soon as i open it, always trying to load. I have to end the process.

I think there’s an issue with my computer but I have no clue how to find the issue. I have run cccleaner but it hasn’t done anything, currently running for viruses but nothing so far. I would REALLY appreciate help her, i dont want to reformat to get this stuff fixed.

Windows 7 64 bit, btw. I have tried disabling Avast to see if it was being overzealous and blocking these applications, it is not the case.
Sono

So I talked to a friend about hit and he suggested maybe Windows Update broke something.

full

….This might be the culprit. But I dunno how to fix it.
luna the great!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Alicorn enthusiast
My screen is suddenly flashing black for a few seconds? It started last night and there’s nothing else wrong. It mostly does it when I’m loading something and it’s only happened a few times.
RadioDemon
Duck - User has been known to often resemble a waterfowl
Wallet After Summer Sale -

So many orphans~Alastor
Im looking to build my own gaming computer but I want to record and upload videos to youtube without compromising framerates and other things on said computer……does anybody have any advice on how to go about this task…..
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Shirani

Set yourself a budget, then use the Ars Technica PC builders’ guide as a base for what you want to get.

The most important component in my opinion is the Motherboard/Mainboard (MB), as that will dictate how long your computer will last in terms of upgradability and functionality. I’d personally suggest a MB with M.2 storage support and USB 3.1/Type-c/Thunderbolt 3 support if you can afford it, as I feel that peripherals will move in the direction of USB Type-c adoption for their adapters, thus it would be good to invest in supporting it now rather than later.
PwnyPony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

☀Welcome Princess Celest
@Shirani  
For video recording you want a graphics card greater than a GTX 660 on the nvidia side or for AMD 250x or greater as these two use low impact recording and lower frame rates only by 1 or 2 frames.

They both provide options for resolution and frame rate and can run in the background. I use these and have them set to capture the last minute of stuff. if something cool happens in a game I can save that moment. They can even be set in a manual record option which will record everything until you tell it to stop.

These options can be pretty heavy on space as gameplay in 1080p 60fps takes about 300+ megs for every minute of recording.

You want more than 1TB if you plan on going for long recording sessions and don’t want to delete stuff.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Creations249 Etsy Shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide