Rainbow Rocks 10th Anniversary - Let's celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rainbow Rocks with an art event! Here

Computers general(help, advice, talk)

Background Pony #E229
So I’ve been watching a lot of TV and movies lately on my computer, and I’m beginning to notice how bright the black colours really are.

I’ve upped the monitor contrast already to a level my eyes can tolerate, but are there some other graphics card, media player, and monitor settings that I should look at if I’m wanting to make the black colours appear . . . blacker?

I have VLC, MPC-HC, and MPV media players installed, they all look exactly the same to me so I don’t mind configuring any of them in particular.
PwnyPony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

☀Welcome Princess Celest
I have been having a problem with my gaming computer.  
When ever I turn it on after a night of it being turned off the network always says limited access and sometimes causes every other computer using the router to also display limited access.  
It works fine after turning the router off and on and then running a troubleshoot but will repeat the problem if I leave it off overnight.

Wireless adapter: EQUP:802.11n  
Not sure if it is EQUP EDUP or EOUP.  
A BT wireless home router.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Time to upgrade the router or the software that runs inside of it.
This. Consumer level routers unfortunately seem to have a limited lifespan compared to computer hardware in general, thus need replacing regularly. I’ve found that in my experience, wireless routers tend to have the shortest lifespan of all consumer routers.
apegacine
Since the Beginning  -

Can anyone here please help me with some ad ware problems I have been having.  
I got something called “Ads By Notification” on my computer and it won’t go away even though I did multiple scans with Mcafee.  
I tried deleting it from my registry key but I couldn’t find it.
PwnyPony
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

☀Welcome Princess Celest
My mother saved an old 2006 HP computer from the dump in the nursing home she runs.  
It has an Intel Celeron D 360 and half a gig of RAM with a 300 watt PSU.

I plan to upgrade it but don’t really want to replace anything in it.

Anyone know any good GPUs that I could get for about £50 (my cheapness is showing) that do not require a power connection straight from a PSU (like the GTX 750), I don’t trust this old PSU on an adapter with only about (this is a guess from the parts I see) 150 watts left to use from everything else.

I need this to get my little brother off my back about how his laptop can’t play certain games and wanting to use mine so I can keep my own PC safe from the way he broke all the other family PCs we had.  
Here are the expansion slots and board type encase it may not be possible to use a PCI powered GPU.  
full  
LGA 775
someguy111
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Went to Best Buy, checked out 28 inch 4k monitor. Not impressed, still grainy and pixelated but miles better than 1080 (honestly how do you guys get by on such low res?). Waiting anxiously for 8k monitors. Will be waiting a long, long time.
PwnyPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

☀Welcome Princess Celest
@SeraphimDawn  
You should have seen this thing when I got it.  
All the dust filled up a whole vacuum bag.  
The CPU fan still has dust crusted on to the blades that I can’t reach.  
Thankfully this was out of a nursing home not a smokers home, so most of the dust just lifted of when I waved the vacuum over it.  
this is why filters are made

@someguy111  
I have a placement in a store that sells 4K TV’s, 10 of them on display but only 1 is actually displaying 4K content.  
Would love to see a game running on them to see for myself but I am not allowed to work with the TVs and the best PC in the store is only running a R9 270.
Background Pony #E229
Something’s got a stranglehold on my google searches, something shady. It’s redirecting me to this super dodgy webpage that I refuse to touch.

I’m counting on people to recognize this BS: iirc it’s the Google Redirect Virus/Bot-net thingy. It asks you to fill in this captcha for every search you make, posing as google. Unknowingly, every captcha is used to fuel a spambot. This botnet affects only google, on every browser.

I’ve encountered this foe long ago, but have forgotten the means to slay it.

Derpibooru: are there any quick fixes I should try out, before I spend the rest of my night on Bing browsing for solutions?

full  
URL: https://ipv4.google.com/sorry/IndexRedirect?continue=https://www.google.com.bn/search3Fq3Dayy2Blmao26oq3Dayy2Blmao26aqs3Dchrome..69i57j69i60l4j69i61.1096j0j726sourceid3Dchrome26es_sm3D9326ie3DUTF-8&q=CGMSBMqgEo8Y7qGuogUiGQDxp4NLpBf6uyotfFwjPCrPF0P1MLG7jMs
Twisty

not much pc related but im having troubles accesing some sites.

basically recently i have noticed everytime i try to enter sites like r34 paheal, or xxx, xbooru, gelbooru, dan booru and MSPAbooru my pc takes about 5 minuts before redirecting me to a dead page saying it couldnt load it.

avanced options says :ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT is the error.

the only thing these pages have in common is that they use the tag system and are image archives.

i have tried pretty much cleaning my entire browser, checking the firewall, and evne running some codes in the cmd, to no results.

i have also tried using online proxies, which funny enough actually make it work and lets me enter the page.

however im nto a big fan of proxies and having to get them up evne if it is a few clicks away its pretty annoying.
Twisty

@The Smiling Pony

mostly it seems ISP outside of the more developed countries tend to be even more ignorant when it comes to the internet, so more trigger happpy when it comes to blocking things.

atleeast that is just my take
apegacine
Since the Beginning  -

FOr some reason the “ADs by notification” spyware stopped doing anything for a while on my computer.  
after I downloaded the hijackthis tool but I didn’t know how to use it and I was afraid since I didn’t know what specifically to target to get rid of “ads by notification”  
So what should I target with it to get rid of the spyware?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide