Cartoon/Western Animation General

Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@TheHappySpaceman  
I’m still not big into the look. It’s okay,but I’d prefer more realism. I guess that wouldn’t fit a comedy though. Actually the comedy is the weaker part of the show for me. I don’t like Marriner. She talks too much. It looks like she’s going to be a final character,too. I’m far more interested in the other crew members. I’m still optimistic.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@TheHappySpaceman  
Definitely not for everyone. It’s got lots of little Star Trek references going on,but otherwise it’s pretty much it’s own thing. Which is kind of unfortunate,the Star Trek bits are the strongest parts. I’m hoping the focus shifts away from Marriner. I don’t hate her,but the other characters are FAR more interesting than her and Boimler.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
I’ve noticed after the ‘90s & 2000s “realistic” style cartoons kinda died off. The closest thing we’ve seen sense are all the animesque shows, or the “Guest star” caricature characters in Scooby-Doo video-movies.

While I enjoy cartoonier or anime styles, and such I kinda miss slighty-realistic based cartoon styles too. I like variety in animation.
TheSupremePatriarch
Wallet After Summer Sale -

tl;dr version:
-Bryke were demanding a high budget
-Netflix wanted to cast white actors for certain parts
-Netflix wants a darker, more “mature” tone with sex and blood
So this is going to be M. Night’s The Last Airbender mixed with Riverdale. Got it.

I live.

That’s jumping the gun a little, eh?

Well, Bryke demanded a higher budget, that’s kind of a nothing thing to report on. I think every showrunner wants a higher budget than what they’re given. We don’t know how much Netflix is spending here.

The white actors thing sucks. You could probably get away with that with some of the Fire Nation people, they’re pale af and all. None of the mains though.

As for the tone. A live action version of the fights from the cartoon will need to be more violent. Otherwise they’ll look really stupid, that’s just a fact. The shitty movie went for the action-scenes-for-kids route and it looked retarded.

We’re talking about a series where people are flinging razor-sharp icicles, boulders, and literally fire at each other. The cartoon got away with these restrictions because it’s cartoon, with LA? Those same fights could easily turn into slapstick.

Unless, they’re going for an M-rating…
Commune
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

🚙
@TheSupremePatriarch  
I don’t think bryke would oppose to that type of violence, but the fact they include “sex” reveals a lot  
They want it to be like other shows, raunchy for no reason at all and containing adult jokes because haha very funny

The only live action show that handles violence and sex well is Better Call Saul
TheHappySpaceman
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
Well, Bryke demanded a higher budget, that’s kind of a nothing thing to report on. I think every showrunner wants a higher budget than what they’re given. We don’t know how much Netflix is spending here.

I think the show does need a pretty high budget if they want to make the bending effects look good. I mean, look at how the 2010 movie screwed up with that.  
The white actors thing sucks. You could probably get away with that with some of the Fire Nation people, they’re pale af and all. None of the mains though.

I joked in the Nerd Thread that the only exception I’d give was Nicolas Cage as Toph’s dad, because they do kind of look alike.  
A live action version of the fights from the cartoon will need to be more violent. Otherwise they’ll look really stupid, that’s just a fact. The shitty movie went for the action-scenes-for-kids route and it looked retarded.
We’re talking about a series where people are flinging razor-sharp icicles, boulders, and literally fire at each other.

I don’t think that’s too big an issue in a vacuum, but the fact that they included “sex” along with it and apparently said that they wanted to age up the characters is very concerning. Since half of the deal with the show is that they’re kids, and that kids shouldn’t be fighting in a war. Aging it up to make them adults or older teens just so they can have them boning… that’s not Avatar.
TheSupremePatriarch
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@TheHappySpaceman  
CGI has improved in the last decade. It’s possible to make good looking effects on a budget. It’s also still possible to make absolute shit with a blank check.

The site’s fake but I still say that aside from Aang and Toph, the entire cast are teenagers. Teens gonna teen, so SEX.

The kids fighting wars thing as tragic, well aside from Jet and his crew, the more general “war is tragic” was more central to the show. You don’t lose much there if the cast weren’t kids anymore.

I’m really not against aging up here, most child actors are just not good enough.
Background Pony #A7EA
I’ve been thinking of starting to watch Bojack because I’ve heard it deals with depression in a realistic manner.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide