Unpopular opinion time (super alpha no pony edition)

gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
@Jades

I honestly didn’t even care about the games. The careers never felt dangerous like they were supposed to be, and Katniss was too badass for me.

It was outside the games, when she was out of her element, that her flaws were highlighted and I was more engaged.
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
When it comes to entertainment based discussions, biased opinions are infinitely better than some twat trying to act like he isn’t biased by using a bunch of vague terminology they don’t even fucking understand, just heard it from some twat with a YT channel.

Let bias thrive.
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@gingerninja666  
Don’t bother. It’s something that can be defined and only left at that definition, outside of your own personal preference.

Pacing isn’t a quality, it’s a foundation. Every story has pacing. Some stories are fast paced, some stories are slow and methodical, some fall in an in-between area, some stories are told out of order, some stories are told only moving forward without recollection of past events or anything like flashbacks…it’s something that everything has to do. There is no such thing as a story without pacing. Some people prefer slow paced stories like Monster, some people prefer stories with breakneck pacing like SAO, and some people prefer something in-between. There is no such thing as non-subjective pacing, it falls more heavily into subjectivity than any of the other lame-ass critical standards - with the exception of concept/premise, though. That is #1 most subjective.

People just want to narrow down a foundation and try to make it into a quality because it sounds more well-learned to talk about things from a technical standpoint instead of one that welcomes biases.

I’d draw an analogy of people wanting to treat it like a color scheme on a house instead of a the floor plans of a house, but I feel like that’d be giving too much credit. It’s more or less just a term deprived of all meaning because asshats want to blabber about it and misuse it to try and apply a sense of objectivity to a clearly subjective opinion with a term that can only be described as absolutely subjective as to how well it’s done.
.44caliberloveletter
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Thread Starter - What Are You Listening To

Alexis the Queer Witch
@ghostfacekiller39  
But that doesnt necessarily mean that pacing cant be faulted if you feel as if the pacing chose for a particular story doesnt fit with it and allow it to reach what is felt to be the full potential. It definitely is a subjective matter on what pacing fits and doesnt fit but I still dont see why its such a bad thing to criticize pacing if you can explain why you feel as if the pacing weighted down the story and understand that some might like the style of pacing chosen and that the issue isnt really black and white.
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@MoogSourceVermona  
What it is now: “Pacing is bad, 0/10”

What it would be if we followed your logic: “Pacing is bad, it doesn’t fit the story, 0/10”

It’d all still just boil down to bullshitting yourself to try and put your opinion on a pedestal

Expecting too much from these people. It’s nothing more complex than a game of finding what term to use to avoid admitting subjectivity of any kind, even though everybody looks at entertainment from a colored lens that best suits their palette anyway. It just sounds better to say things like pacing and come across as being unbiased, even if it’s all being used as nothing more than a shallow attempt at appearing more intelligent than you really are.

It’ll still be a plague sweeping any actual discussion under the rug in favor for a few, easy to say terms

Let’s all just fucking embrace how biased we are and then take our biases and pit them against one another. It’d wouldn’t be a massive sweeping change, it’d just take away that bullshit faux-critic mentality and replacing it with a clash of perspectives instead.
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@gingerninja666  
Hey, that’s a problem on the other side of things, not with my thought process. I’m on a crusade to demolish that way of thinking, if anything.

People so adamantly believe they can’t be biased when forming an opinion on something that when somebody is clearly biased they get pissy about it because it so strongly goes against their outlook on things.

We’ve all just accepted that being biased is a bad thing, and I think that’s fucking stupid.
.44caliberloveletter

Alexis the Queer Witch
@ghostfacekiller39  
Except that still wouldnt be following my logic because I did say so long as you could explain it. Also its not like you cant use it in a way that isnt just trying to make something adhere to your taste, going back to your example of Monster would it work if it were just 12-24 episodes and still had the same amount of substance? Probably not. I dont really see how identifying that a show with loads of things that its trying to do failing because of how short it was.

But then I guess in a discussion on a forum or something where you really shouldnt be acting like a critic it could be pretty elite to use the term. Like I mean should we just all say that the show was too rushed or too fast or too short or what?
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@ghostfacekiller39
Except that still wouldnt be following my logic because I did say so long as you could explain it.
Like I mean should we just all say that the show was too rushed or too fast or too short or what?

And the crux of the issue here is that we expect people to do this while explaining things

I will welcome them with open arms if they ever have the ability to, at least if they do so without being a pompous know-it-all asswipe about it, but I just contest this idea simply because we shouldn’t bet on it, considering the type of people we’re discussing.

It won’t happen, people will not be able to explain themselves and use these buzzterms at the same time

@MoogSourceVermona  
@ghostfacekiller39
Also its not like you cant use it in a way that isnt just trying to make something adhere to your taste, going back to your example of Monster would it work if it were just 12-24 episodes and still had the same amount of substance? Probably not. I dont really see how identifying that a show with loads of things that its trying to do failing because of how short it was.

length and pacing are two entirely different things

Monster has a ton of episodes they could’ve cut out, anyway, so even then I can’t really say I think that argument works. Remember episode 13, when Tenma stops at a small village, proceeds to hide for a while and then helps a lady out with her brain problem and then goes on his merry way? How many episodes do we have that are like that, where Tenma stops his chase of Johan to sit and help some people out in need?

They’re nice side stories, sure, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Monster still could’ve easily been great if it wasn’t 74 episodes long, let’s not shit ourselves here.

Even then, putting all of that aside and going back to the top of my post, length and pacing are two separate entities. Something can be 12 episodes and not be rushed or whatever term we want to substitute for pacing.
.44caliberloveletter

Alexis the Queer Witch
@ghostfacekiller39
Except that still wouldnt be following my logic because I did say so long as you could explain it.
Like I mean should we just all say that the show was too rushed or too fast or too short or what?
And the crux of the issue here is that we expect people to do this while explaining things
I will welcome them with open arms if they ever have the ability to, at least if they do so without being a pompous know-it-all asswipe about it, but I just contest this idea simply because we shouldn’t bet on it, considering the type of people we’re discussing.
It won’t happen, people will not be able to explain themselves and use these buzzterms at the same time

Which is actually what I was kinda trying to get at, there are people who dont use the term pacing in a way that makes them sound like mr. big and smartsy n artsy and I just thought it was a bit unfair to completely bastardize the term because of those fake people. I guess it is a bit silly to think that the majority of people will use the term in a justified manor as opposed to making themselves sound more smarter and more important than anyone else.

@ghostfacekiller39  
@MoogSourceVermona
Even then, putting all of that aside and going back to the top of my post, length and pacing are two separate entities. Something can be 12 episodes and not be rushed or whatever term we want to substitute for pacing.

True, kinda silly of me to not think that when my second favorite show of all time is Lain which really shows that you can be short and have a fuckton of shit happening yet still be slower than molasses. I sometimes can mix the two up since they sometimes do go hand in hand with each other.
Background Pony #19F1
@newsketches  
Also racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, fascist, misogynist, politically correct, politically incorrect, privileged, hate speech, free speech, freedom of speech, microagression, safe space, communist, feminist, supremacist, Marxist, Islamophobic, transphobic, patriarchy, genocide, terrorism, statism, slander, literally, and “I can’t even” are also things that are thrown around way too much these days.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide