The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Just finished watching Black Widow.

Thought it was great. Though (spoilers) ||the reveal of who Taskmaster is was kinda obvious ||

Also post credit scene has a LOT of interesting implications on what’s gonna happen in the MCU
Applepie1973

Nostalgia Purist
I hope venom 2 does carnage justice and be like a horror film because a film without carnage not being shown killing people is lame and dumb; I don’t want no PG rated crap, I want it to be a R rated movie.

me too
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
The first Venom was supposed to be R rated but got trimmed down to PG-13. So I’m not too sure Venom 2 will be rated R.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
This is, maybe semi political, but it’s more specifically nerd culture stuff so I’m going to post it here.

So I just stumbled upon an old interview of one Andrew Klavan, a prolific author and columnist and someone well known amoung writer circles. He was ranting about not liking some books, I think a Song of Fire and Ice, or the Witcher, because it showed “a woman fighting like a man” and that he, personally, believed that a woman would lose to a man in a sword fight 100% of the time.

I’ve seen this idea come up a few times in fantasy circles, and as someone who has currently two stories in production that involve female sword fighters I find this take hilariously inept.

By his logic, a slightly weaker man would 100% lose every time against a slightly stronger man. He implies that strength is the only factor in sword fighting, as if every sword fight in real life and fiction involves giant anime swords the size of a small car. He conveniently ignores swords like the gladius, a sword that was specifically designed to be used by pretty much every strength level and still be effective since it was necessary in an army of conscripts of various degrees of skill and strength. Or swords that are designed to be weapons of finesse, or other edged weapons that can compensate for slightly reduced strength. And you have real life women fencers, and sword fighters, and historical figures like Joan of Arc.

And in fantasy? Where magic and shit exists? You’re going to criticize that? Every good fantasy universe has some sort of strength enhancer via spell/enchantment/blessing/etc.

This is as dumb as the time a Vox writer said that fantasy was bad because it will make people more receptive of religion.

These outdated views have no place in fantasy literature.
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Zincy

I mean, technically Joan of Arc was a poor commander with not much of a fighting record to note. Historians sometimes note that many of her “victories” were either due to dumb luck of the English to think “Nobody would be dumb enough to X” only for her inexperience to make her command her army to do X, or by frequently laying siege to poorly strategic (and therefore poorly defended) locations that only ended up useful by sheer quantity. She apparently never even saw combat!

But. Like. She was still part of the French military. Teen or not she had to have had some training, which right off the bat means she’d kick my ass 99 times out of 100. And the last 1 would only be because she felt sorry about seeing grown man cry after losing 99 times in a row.
Vortaxonus

@Dustcan  
As a wise man once said “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, in the expert’s mind there are few.” There’s need to be a concrete name for when someone gets completely blind-sighted by something because they know better not to.
Thanotos Omega
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Zincy  
Julie d’Aubigny killed 3 noblemen one right after another in fair duels, allot of people have a warped view of the differences between men and women thanks to the size and buld differences being exagerated by media that tends to favor very petite women and very big guys or if the guy isn’t big like Tom Cruise will use cienma tricks to make them look taller,
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

Gallusposting since 2019
I once responded that fans can write a better story than the original writers. Instead, several people condemned my statement.

This is a HORRIBLE idea.
Yeah sometimes fans have a better sense of characters & narrative. But case by case, inviting a rando fan or group to dictate how a series should go just leads to ruin. Example: The Rise of Skywalker.

Considering how the Five Nights at Freddy’s fanbase depicts Purple Guy as a mentally ill gay man and Mike as a sociopath who tortures a mentally scarred child, how about let’s not?

Two other examples they used were Voltron and Five Nights at Freddy’s.

What do you think? Do you think that simply letting fanfic writers write your canon is a big mistake?
Lord WyrmSpawN
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@HorsesandMuchMOAR  
Definitely, if you put them all on the same level like that.

Some can definitely take stories deeper and farther than the original writers, but leagues more are out to satisfy none more than themselves.

I mean, Rise of Skywalker, written by fans? Since when?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide