The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@CaptainXtra

Looks like classic celluloid animation.Frames painted on semi-transparent sheets of celluloid, a hallmark of early 20th century animation.

As for the specific art style, I’m not sure it has a name.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@tehwatever
I feel like you’re insulting someone here. Could you explain this without going full Zincy or Dark-O on me?
I can’t. I MUST Dark-O on you. But I wasn’t trying to insult btw. Just very curious.

Happy SpaceLad was asking why do people criticize sex jokes or raunchy materials in cartoon but at the same time are alright with violence. I don’t have the answer for that, so instead I ask a very similar question.

Why do rape scenes trigger people so much, that even Rated M games are shying away from it? (I remember in Witcher 2, a game that shows full nudity no problem, but there was a scene that cut away right before the woman was molested / rape.) The rape is explicitly stated, but not shown.

Rape is a non-consensual sexual act forced upon an unwilling person. It is HARMFUL. Do you know what else is harmful and non-consensual acted upon an unwilling participant? Violence. In fact, isn’t Teabagging some kind of symbolic rape? So players are actually aware of the similarities.

Let’s say, you have a videogame or a Mod, say some 18+ Overwatch Mod, where you can actually rape the other player after they’re defeated. Would that be acceptable to the regular players? If NOT. Why not? You shoot them in the head and suddenly cumming on their faces cross lines? Genuinely curious.
CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
@tehwatever  
Yeah, I’ve seen that people would always prefer to be murdered than raped whenever the subject is brought up.

They would rather die than live with the trauma.

It’s indeed a touchy subject.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
A game that encourages a player to outright rape soneone would be banned in pretty much all of the world and the people who made it would face a fuckton of legal issues
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@CaptainXtra  
I know. but why? maybe finding the answer would ALSO answer HappySpaceman’s question: Why is sex jokes not okay when violence is okay?

@icey wicey 1517  
Yes. But then again, how come other non-consensual acts upon an unwiling participant be okay, and even promoted? ANY competitive violent games, require that you harm the other guy, without their consent. However, considering that the loser does not get harmed in real life, there is less hard feelings involved.

“It’s just a game”

So WHY NOT rape? “It’s just a game?” Nobody’s raped for real and there should be very minimal hard feelings involved. You’re willing to have your digital avatar take a bullet to the stomach in jest, but suddenly a penis in the butt is personal?

I GET it. I’m just trying to articulate WHY do I feel so very iffy with actual rape, but am absolutely alright and even glorifies violence that realistically could end with a level of damage worse than rape.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
…I mean, in the context I was talking about, one of the cartoons has mere sex jokes, while the other one (made by the same creator as the first one) has actual child murder played up for laughs—twice. And people find the former to be trying to hard to be edgy and adult, but somehow don’t find the latter that way. I don’t think the former can be compared to rape.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@TheHappySpaceman  
No it’s not BUT…the question is similar. WHY accept one and not the OTHER? Based on what metric? If I can find the answer to the rape vs violence question then maybe I can articulate why sex jokes seem edgier than dead baby jokes.

Because right now I can’t explain it. It’s all just gut instinct and most probably is a cultural / social thing more than anything. I guess Rape and Sex Jokes just hit different for a lotta people, when compared to other similarly triggering content.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@northern haste  
focus on the lighting and face model. Note the way the light interacts with the skin.

The DeepFake is much more photorealistic because most likely it’s literally a photo. Do me a favor. PAUSE the video in any frame and study the difference. In some ways it’s massive. At some points it climbed up past the Uncanny Valley and back into realistic.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

🚙
@tehwatever  
Because sometimes punching someone is justified  
Sexual violence however? There’s no excuse for that

Rape and sexual assault is far more personal than regular violence as well
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

full

full

Among other much more subtle differences.

Biggest takeaway is that DeepFakes isn’t a 3D model. It’s literally a photo of someone. DeepFake AI just grabs thousands of actual photo references and create an estimate based on what parameters you set them to. It’s a Photoshop / Photobashing machine. You can’t beat photorealism against actual photos!

Here’s an analogy. Right is your reference photo, Left is your hyper realistic portrait artwork. At first glance you wouldn’t be able to tell but as you start comparing details you will that the differences DO pile up and you realize you’re missing quite a few things from your artwork.

The original CGI is really good don’t get me wrong, and it definitely looks far better in motion. DeepFake tech is still not ready for a full fledged movie production IMO, but when it works, it freaking works.
TheHappySpaceman
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@tehwatever  
TBF, I think that the original CGI for CLU is actually justified in looking so weird, because CLU himself is meant to be a defective program, so it kind of makes sense for him to be glitching out visually like that. The other scenes with Jeff Bridges, however…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide