Ask the mods anything

NounVerb

@ᏰᎯᎠᎻᎬᎯᏒᎿ  
You see, general society used to have that rule, too. Then people from a certain branch of political ideology decided to “make the personal political”, so that no-one can escape politics anymore. Hell, it feels like it’s almost impossible to get dressed for work in the morning without making a political statement sometimes, with so many interest groups turning wearing certain colours of clothing into something political.

I think that the best case would be to enforce neutrality and equal treatment towards all things, with only extremely limited exceptions for clear and overt calls to violence. Just like normal free speech laws do.
Panko Pai
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork

Shy gamer stallion
Apparently liking/faving your own works is like giving a self-five.

But what if I like/fave my upload that wasn’t created by me? Does it still count?
Background Pony #0385
How hard is it to IP ban spammers?

This should be really, really simple. Whatever script they’re using is obviously not changing IPs or they’d show up as different background ponies, why is it so hard to have a 5-6 rapid post flood detection, or a 10-20 post spam detection, and then just IP banning the offender?

Seriously starting to look like mods are complicit in spamming if something that should be this easy to stop hasn’t been.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #0385  
The site is open source - if you would like to add those tools that would be very helpful - not just for this site but for every site that uses Philomena.

Please also add a bulk deletion tool to get rid of pages and pages of posts in one click instead of the current click, type a reason, click, click to delete, then click back a page and reload to get the next one to delete for each deletion.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@JP  
No, but we never really needed it. It had other ways of throttling the number of posts per minute, etc, which kept the influx of new posts from a bot at a point where mere humans could manage it.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Because people have been asking for more info about the recent spammer, I did find a possible link in the original posts by yesterday’s spammer. They were copy/pasting 2020 US election propaganda from “southfront [don’t go here on any computer you love] org” [WARNING: That site is full of trojans and pop-ups].

According to a 2017 article on McClatchyDC, quoting an Oxford University Computational Propaganda Research Project paper on social media disinformation campaigns,

Russia has exploited social media networks to target current and former U.S. military personnel with propaganda, conspiracy theories and other misinformation, achieving “significant and persistent interactions” over Twitter during a one-month period last spring, a British research team found
The Oxford University study, which traced the reach of three websites with clear ties to the Russian government, adds a new dimension to revelations of a Kremlin cyber campaign aimed at undermining Americans’ trust in democracy during last year’s U.S. elections and helping Donald Trump win the presidency.
“We’ve found an entire ecosystem of junk news about national security issues that is deliberately crafted for U.S. veterans and active military personnel,” said Philip Howard, a professor of internet studies who led the research. “It’s a complex blend of content with a Russian view of the world – wild rumors and conspiracies.”

Whether the person doing this recent spam attack is a part of some incredibly stupid attempt to sway people’s opinions here because we showed up in Russia Today and Breitbart articles and somehow are some sort of legendary hot spot for alt-right politics, or it was just a bored troll trying out a new script just to fuck with us, we probably will see more of these kinds of attacks as the 2020 US elections get closer.

Here’s a bit more from that Oxford study:

For this study, three junk news websites specializing in content on military affairs and national security issues for US military personnel and veterans were used; veteranstoday.com, veteransnewsnow.com, and southfront.org. All three of these websites are reported to show links with Russian-origin content. In late 2013 Veterans Today began publishing content from the government-charted Russian Academy of Sciences geopolitical journal New Eastern Outlook. At a similar time, its sister site, Veterans News Now, began publishing content from the Moscow think tank Strategic Culture Foundation. Similarly, the website South Front, was registered in Moscow in early 2015 and partnered forms of propaganda and ideologically extreme, hyper- partisan, or conspiratorial political news and information.

I couldn’t find any information as to whether this is a 2016 thing that’s firing up again and for some reason targeted this site, or if it was just some scriptkiddy grabbing some dank copypasta for their fun. As just a sample, here’s a screencap of parts of two posts the spammer first hit the site with:

full

Once we deleted (the pages of) these posts and banned them (several times) they came back and started hitting the site with ‘aay lmao’ interspersed with periodic personal comments. So, there’s clearly a human being behind this, but they gave up whatever their original intent was, and now seem to be targeting threads that give them attention.

Originally they were hitting the Explanation of update to Rule #0 for consistency and clarity especially in regards to racism, probably because it was the most active thread on the site and would get noticed by more people.

But after locking that and a couple other threads they went after, subsequent attacks have focused on threads that either were on the top of the ‘Recent Posts’ list, or threads that specifically were created to give this spammer attention. So, don’t create threads with the word “spam” in the title, I guess?

I imagine that, just like with the 2016 US elections, we’ll see more of this when we get closer to the 2020 US elections. And this specific person will almost certainly be back again. It will be interesting to see how they try to get around the latest updates to spam mitigation.
Sparx
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
Which one do you think sounds better for describing a card game on a motorcycle?

Riding Duel or Turbo Duel?

A number between 0 and 305 plz
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide