The "Infidelity" Tag [NSFW]

NightStalker
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

The way the “Infidelity” tag is used on this site really bothers me. Perhaps this has to do with my own personal views on marriage, but right now it seems as if the tag is used far too much.

Just looking at the first page of search results yields many images that I do not believe should be tagged as Infidelity.

>>1860109 >>1860111 >>1859877 These are all “Safe” images, yet the description of the tag says that it’s for a married character having sex with another party.

But okay, let’s ignore that facet for now. Unless I’m wrong (and correct me if I am), infidelity is a synonym of “Cheating”, AKA being unfaithful to one’s spouse or significant other, without their knowledge or consent. If they DO give consent, that’s an open relationship or willful cuckoldry.

>>1842194 >>1858275 >>1840187 Do any of these images portray in any way a secretive, unfaithful act against the pony’s spouse? The second one takes place out in public where said spouse lives, making it not the ideal place to go and cheat on one’s husband. Open relationships and marriages, and just plain ol’ NSFW sexual freedom is a very common thing, and not ALL deviations from “Good Clean Married Sex” is Infidelity.

Within the first two pages of search results, there’s even some pictures of actual (willful) cuckoldry, with the spouse of the one supposedly committing “infidelity” standing right there, watching with a smile on their face. >>1831537

This is because SO MANY tags imply Infidelity, and a lot of uploaders probably don’t even realize the tag is going on their image. I really think we need to tone it down with the implications on this tag. If there is an image where Cheating is taking place, it’s usually pretty clear and portrayed as such by the artist, in which case the Infidelity tag can easily be added. As it stands right now, the site sort of sounds like some highly snobby, prudish place where only married couples can boink each other ever.

Not to mention, the implication may add Infidelity to a Shining Armor X Rainbow Dash image (for example) that takes place before he even met Cadance. That cannot possibly be Infidelity, yet the implication is there.

I dunno, it just bothers me. I know that the tags can be removed, but I would guess that the vast majority shouldn’t have been added in the first place, and more are just going to be added in the future.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Then remove them if they don’t apply?

The thing is, if the tags didn’t imply it, far less people would even bother at all, and there would be no easy way to avoid stuff like that at all without hiding a hundred different ship tags.
NightStalker
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

I would estimate that at least 70% of the images tagged with Infidelity do not deserve the tag. That’s a bit much. As soon as I have a couple hours of free time, I’ll definitely go through all 80+ pages of the tag and remove all that don’t apply, but I still think something needs to change.
NightStalker

All right, no problem. You told me to remove them in the first place, but I can wait. If a change does need to be made across 80+ pages I’ve got no problem doing it. I don’t mind busy work.
Fleetfoot
Fleetfoot - For Patreon supporters
Perfect Fleetfoot Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ saucy Fleetfoot images with 350+ upvotes (Perfect Pony Plot Provider)
Woona - To my most special somepony~
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Responsible Disclosure - Lessons from Furbi

Senior Moderator
Fletch the Enfield
So is this a matter of whether a shipping piece alone is enough to grant infidelity tag?

Also I tend to agree if the piece suggests the married part is okay/consenting the sexual experience with another party it should not be tagged as infidelity, like the example of Shining x Twilight where Cadence’s recording it with enjoyment on her face.
NightStalker

So is this a matter of whether a shipping piece alone is enough to grant infidelity tag?

The idea that if Shining Armor is with ANYbody else, it immediately implies infidelity? Yeah, that’s really presumptuous and kind of prudish. Shining Armor did not come out of the womb married to Cadance, and Cadance in particular is VERY often portrayed as one who is okay with extramarital affairs.
NightStalker

I’ve been thinking about the word extramarital.

Extramarital Affair is just another term for adultery/cheating, but just extramarital by itself might be a bit too vague?

What if all of the shipping tags with a married character implied a tag called extramarital shipping, or something like that? By it’s base definition, it would mean “a ship that occurs outside of marriage”. Since it has “marital” in it, it would be clearer for people to remove the tag if the image takes place before said marriage.

Then, that leaves the “Infidelity” tag for images that actually feature a clear case of cheating, plus tags for stuff like swingers, open marriage, polyamory, etc…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide