Privacy Policy has been updated to reflect what data will be collected from you in the future updates. Read the updated version here.

Unpopular opinion time

Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@ILoveMyoozik  
I think it’s totally okay to point out little pedantic flaws, and that it actually praises the show. It really shows how good the show is overall when the worst you can say about it are little nitpicks and flaws. Problem is people just get way too worked up, both criticizing AND praising the show :P
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Ironically, if S7 was anything to go by, it would have been better if they used her more.

Honestly, the thing I hate most about S6 is how much Of was on the writers and how it’s shortcomings could have easily been avoided. I can forgive S3 and S8’s shortcomings because their biggest problems are on things entirely out of their control(S3’s length and Twilicorn, S8 and the stupid school), S6 though is the sole season where it’s entirely on the writing team
Badumsquish
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@ILoveMyoozik  
People like talking about the things they like. I think the real problem is people who think people disagreeing about something automatically means they’re arguing or fighting, and people who take offense to things they disagree with, y’know? :D
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

Considering Celestia and Luna seemed like they couldn’t defeat him without the Elements, period, and how he was toying with them both in his alternate timeline, in which Cadance might’ve existed as an alicorn (she wasn’t exactly shown anywhere), I tend to think he has a lot of raw power, which him seeming to be able to do whatever he wants with the sun could back that up. I suppose it’s up for debate how bending reality translates to raw power, exactly. He’s certainly way more powerful than Sombra though, for instance.

And yeah, I fully believe that Discord could be defeated by Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and Cadance combined, all at once.

He’s certainly not invincible, like how it seems that say, Tatzlwurm slime weakened him by making him sick (possibly hampered his powers?), or how Chrysalis’ throne stopped him from using his magic, and considering how Discord probably wouldn’t be “polite” enough to take you on in a straight fight (you’d be an idiot if you went out of your way to go for that angle in real life though, let’s be honest), you should be playing dirty against someone as skilled and powerful as he is.

He isn’t omnipotent by any means, but you can very rarely be someone in a position to beat him without preparing in some way, in a straight fight.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@Badumsquish  
Yeah, that’s what I mean, I just don’t want to come off as harsh or condescending.

Anyways back on topic, I liked Applejack’s “Day” Off, it shows that not every episode has to be a big grand adventure or some status quo changing plot and a lot of the times, you just need a breather episode to focus on a character.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Come to think of it, I think Discord has arguably displayed more signs of sadism since reforming than Starlight had as a villain.

(For a possible recent example of this, I think a small part of why he pretended to be hurt was because he wanted to see Sombra squirm at having his pride crushed.)
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
I think the reason I’m more okay with Discord’s reformation compared to Starlight is that Discord has had numerous moments where Twilight and the rest are skeptical of him being reformed and better. Whereas Starlight has had very few moments of anypony doubting her.
Badumsquish

@LightningBolt  
The difference between the two I think is Discord seems to actually comprehend why the bad things he does are wrong, and does seem to make genuine attempts to improve. Starlight seems to need someone to tell her what she’s doing is wrong, and even then she doesn’t seem to understand why so much as just feel bad that she got scolded :P
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
Considering Celestia and Luna seemed like they couldn’t defeat him without the Elements, period, and how he was toying with them both in his alternate timeline, in which Cadance might’ve existed as an alicorn (she wasn’t exactly shown anywhere), I tend to think he has a lot of raw power, which him seeming to be able to do whatever he wants with the sun could back that up. I suppose it’s up for debate how bending reality translates to raw power, exactly. He’s certainly way more powerful than Sombra though, for instance.

The thing is, co-ordinating four ponies who aren’t experienced combatants by any means, nor used to working as a team, using theoretical magic that only Celestia has any experience using, against DISCORD… I’m not surprised Celestia went straight to the ‘get the elements, blast his ass’ plan. It’s worked before, where as any other plan is guesswork.

If they tried, Discord could easy just take out Cadance, Luna or Twilight by turning them into pudding or something. Only Celestia (and appropriately enough with Discord’s ‘cousin’ Eris, Daybreaker) has ever been shown actively resisting him, and by no means could she take him on her own. And she can only shield them if they’re nearby, which makes them a big giant target.

As I said, though they could exceed him in power, Discord still takes the win for me. His magic is a lot more intuitive, he’s very hard to pin down, they have no real defense against his illusions, and he’s just plain quicker.

…there’s also the fact that Luna and Cadance didn’t exist at this point of course, having respectively fallen into and never emerged from the pit of “Pit of weirdly absent family members”.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Dustcan

I think it’s also because Starlight is probably… better to be around in general than Discord is, less antagonizing.

Trixie has an ego like Discord’s, and had an apology that was rather questionable (there was nothing like “I’m sorry I lashed out at you for saving my life and seeking out the Alicorn Amulet,” which is exactly what she did, there’s no sugarcoating it), so Twilight being (rightfully) suspicious of her made sense to me, in No Second Prances.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@LightningBolt
The difference between the two I think is Discord seems to actually comprehend why the bad things he does are wrong, and does seem to make genuine attempts to improve.

Which is why he’s still a complete douchebag like… six seasons since his redemption, where as Starlight is reasonably functional to the point where her job is helping people with their problems only three seasons in?
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

Seriously, a jealous Discord is… a bit unnerving.

Look at what he almost did to Treehugger (S5), or how he put Spike and Big Mac in a situation where they could feel real pain (S6, though I highly doubt they would’ve been severely injured or killed if it kept up), or how he was completely willing to terrorize others with his powers, out of envy (S8).

I think Starlight was a better person than Discord as of the S6 finale ending.
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@AC97  
Speaking of both, I really liked their banter in To Where & Back Again seeing Trixie literally be snarky and talk down the lord of chaos throughout and see both bicker at each other, it was comedy gold.
Hakirayleigh
Wahaha! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
  • The general direction they took with Starlight, making her the star of the season with both two-parters, then barely using her in the main season, only giving her a couple of episodes, which were really bad for her.

That was the main season idea: Starlight growht up her friendship experience thanks to Twilight. I only blame Twilight wasn’t a strictier teacher, as the failed spell with the remane5. Twilight only tried to feel bad Starlight cause she chose Trixie over Celestia presence and Twilight teaching performance. Starlight didn’t choose bad, but Trixie was really  
intransigent.

• Controversial, but bringing Trixie back to be friends with Starlight, felt like they just wanted people to like Starlight she has a fan favorite attached, rather than by her own merits. And the episode it happened was done at the expense of Twilight. Admittedly, I don’t know if I should count this one, as now it feels fleshed out and worth while but it took two whole seasons to make it worthwhile

Trixie could be the original “Twilight pupil”. However They focus Trixie is only a slighly better magical unicorn than the average ones, so the staff gave Starlight a lesser role as Trixie teacher if we talk about magic. The staff only wanted a new chemical relationship between Starlight and her new friends. Starlight choosing again the remane5 was only follow Twilight steps and that could give reason to some people saying Starlight is a Twilight 3.0. Even Trixie and Eber made jokes about that meta situation.  
  • The stunning achievement of making RD becoming a WB be one of the show’s worst episodes, both giving it a new writer who’s only writing credit was a shitty cop drama and wasting it on another “lol she has an ego, she needs to be knocked down a peg!XD” no one ever likes. And then proceeds to do jack shit with her status since

Despite Rainbow Dash is my least favorite mane6. I feel bad cause she is always is destroyed in the staff cause her ego. However She had good episodes if we talk about Rainbow growth as the washouts. However the 15th episode of the last season was really a a big recoil even if she tried to fix the situation.

• Spice Up Your Life more or less goes against Rarity’s core. The character all about creativity and standing out, and has an episode about that last season, is now saying conform and do everything everyone else is doing

Rarity struggle was being a creative pony but she tend to appeal to snobbish pony judgment. Its similar as Twilight and her necessity not defrounding Celestia. If we talk about Yona episode, Yona and her change behavior to pony standards, it was ok until struggles with the dress. No Rarity fault, despite if Pinkie was the only elemnt in the mission, the restaurant has the same trouble giving top notch food, but without the recognition that Rarity can give to new projects.

• The finale, trying to make Starlight the main hero, both at the expense of practically everyone, and without really earning it.

The only purpose about the final was the changilig new design and give Starlight the end of her cycle as student. I agree this was really quick and even Starlight would have kept as Twilight stundent until the season 8. Starlight a decent job as leader, despite the main sacrifices were Discord and Trixie. Even Twilight or Celestia took worse measures to defeat the main threat and next a deer ex machina help to our heros (the rainbow power or max Cadance/Shining power).
Latecomer

@ILoveMyoozik  
Yeah - and it’s cool that Starlight’s friend group and world savage group are not total overlaps - and indeed, built over time. One problem with the Mane 6 is that we rarely if ever see them making friends, at least ones that can even pretend ot equal significance.
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
So since Discord and Starlight are being brought up, I’ll give my take on something that’s been itching at the back of my head recently, and if nothing else at least attempts to try something new with the worn out argument.

The thing with Discord is that he is far better integrated with the cast and characters of the world compared to Starlight. The Mane 6 and the world in general have reasons for interacting with him, have back and forths with him and have a variety of response to him compared to Starlight. Outside of Trixie, Twilight and to a much lesser extent Maud and Spike, Starlight has little to no reason to interact really outside of anything that was previously established prior to her reformation. Most of Starlight’s interactions take place almost in a vacuum so to an extent her role can be define as much by how much she add as much as how much she takes away. For instance, the Mane 6 don’t have a role when it comes to her arc or character, where as with Discord they very much do with him. Like take the premier of season 9, all the Mane 6 bicker and react to Discord and his antic, but Starlight only actually talks with Twilight in it.

Like as a comparison, Starlight is like a whipped cream topping on a milkshake, it’s only really on top and it’s only interaction with the milkshake part is surface layer deep, and not everyone like whipped cream, where as Discord is Oreo bits mixed into it. Sure you can avoid them but they’re spread throughout the entire milkshake mix, if that makes any sense
Mr.Myoozik

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@Latecomer  
I’m a sucker for groups in fiction that have different appearances and clashes in personality and stories revolved around it, and this episode was a great use for that. What’s better is that they felt like a group with all four interacting with one another and feeling the different characters clash.

At least back then, the Mane 6 felt different from one another and interacted differently with each other but still worked as a team but now because they’re much closer together, I don’t feel that sort of differentiation with one another and they all overlap with each other, one example being the B plot in All Bottled Up.

As an addendum: This is why I also like the Students, cause they remind me of the Mane 6 back in the earlier seasons with their different identities and personalities interacting with each other.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide