Rainbow Rocks 10th Anniversary - Let's celebrate the 10th anniversary of Rainbow Rocks with an art event! Here

Starlight Glimmer Appreciation Thread

deactivateda9696253da

@sTs  
>You realize that Newton is the main reason why we rockets in the first place, all because of his 3 laws of gravity.  
Wrong. If Newton hadn’t written those down in, someone else eventually would. Science that involves natural laws of physics would have all been discovered eventually, leading to the creation of the rocket.  
So no, Newton is not the main reason. Our desire to kill each other and explore the universe is the reason, and gravity would have been there regardless of Newtons existence.
deactivateda9696253da

@sTs  
Eh, debatable. More like he was the first one to publish a paper on it recognized by the scientific community. I have no doubt that hundreds of humans before him came to the same conclusions as he did, but as societies fell and cultures died and changed, those things were lost. In fact, it wasn’t really until the medieval and renaissance ages that we started truly co-operating in science and publishing findings that were shared between nations, and because of this it was a lot harder for the science to be lost.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Saphire Systrine  
This I agree. it’s all about who gets written in history. I mean, Darwin wasn’t the first guy who thought about the theory of evolution in the sense that there is a common ancestor among species. It’s not that hard to come to that conclusion, really. You observe enough species with common traits and features and one day you’ll think to yourself: Hey, they might just be related somehow. I bet you yourselves have thought about it at one point before even being exposed to Darwin at school.

I mean, we get this quote from an oriental scholar back in the early 9th century:  
“Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming them into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to their offspring.”

So…I think even if Newton was goofing around and failed to publish his math works, someone else would. Maybe our world would be slightly different since it wouldn’t be based on “Newtonian” physics, but we’re not gonna be stuck in the pre-scientific revolution age.
deactivateda9696253da

@tehwatever  
Exactly. Many of the great scientists of our age were merely the first ones to get their work published. Even if Einstein hadn’t existed someone would eventually write the E=MC 2 equation, because that is an observation of the universe. But even then, things like the Lightbulb experienced the same thing, in fact, Edison’s lightbulb was not the first, nor the best, but came out on top because of how he marketed it. If the Wright Brothers had failed, there were HUNDREDS of other inventors creating the exact same thing at the exact same time without communicating.  
It just seems to be human nature.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide