Favoritism, trust issues, and the fandom

Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

đź…±
So I’ve been a part of this fandom on and off for pretty much two years now. I’ve gotta say, it’s been a very mixed bag. However, what’s probably going to stay with me most is the massive favoritism and trust issues that a large segment holds against the staff of the show.

The favoritism is rather noticeable. Obviously there’s a segment of the fandom who thinks Faust is an animation god and could do no wrong, but it exists in other places as well. I’ve seen every single voice actor except for Tabitha St. Germain be hated on for being “obnoxious.” Especially during conventions, when they’re not even required to be there. Do we forget that they’re people too and want to have a little bit of fun? I remember last year when people essentially were like “get Weseluck off the show, nothing of value would be lost” when she answered questions with funny voices.

It’s even worse when the St. Germain favoritism creates things like a massive “get well soon” card when she’s sick, but Libman gets stuck in one of those mocking “choose your adventurer” macros. I just find it funny whenever someone complains of Tara Strong being obnoxious yet loves St. Germain’s antics on Twitter. Don’t get me wrong. St. Germain is awesome. It’s just that I feel people hold a lot of favoritism to her.

And now we get into something deeply seated: trust issues. Because of this, one of the most influential people on the show is subject to constant badgering and complaints. McCarthy misspoke and joked around at times, but she never lied. Strong probably didn’t know what an alicorn was when it was asked prior to the S3 finale, even though she knows now.

We automatically assume that any sort of praise for their company is Hasbro holding a proverbial gun to the writer’s head. I remember when MA Larson said this, one of the few times that he broke his character on Twitter was when he sarcastically remarked how “controlled” he is and how much he “loves when they reveal spoilers.” Most of the writers on the show are freelance and could say whatever the hell they wanted about their writing as long as it wasn’t spoilers.

I don’t know, maybe we could stand to be slightly less cynical? Maybe a tree is sometimes just a tree.
ClownDicks
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Just because a freelancer can leave whenever they want and say whatever they want doesn’t mean there can’t be consequences to what they do and say. Media corporations talk to each other.

idk anything about favoritism, no idea what you’re going on about there.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

đź…±
@ClownDicks  
MA Larson has no reason to be afraid of that. The book he’s publishing already has a huge publisher and a multimillion dollar movie contract behind it, and it doesn’t even come out until next Spring.

They must not care how you act if you write something good/wrote on a successful show.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

đź…±
@ClownDicks  
Oh, I forget what the title of it is, but he wrote a book that’s coming out next year. Something about a post-apocalyptic magical world where people send their young daughters to magical bootcamp. Apparently Reese Witherspoon is going to be in the movie.
ClownDicks

Didn’t know that. I specifically meant being critical of Hasbro’s practices when I said he wasn’t necessarily free to say what he wants.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
I don’t have much to say here. The issue is clear, but there isn’t a solution. None. Not even changing Twilight back to a unicorn. The only way out of this is some miraculous change of attitude from the fan which, hopefully, will come with time.

Why is Tabitha get excluded from all this drama by the way?
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

đź…±
@Grieffon  
No clue. Maybe because no one can ever get a clear answer from her about anything? Then again, that happens with most of the staff.

I’d say it’s just because she’s incredibly quirky, but Tara Strong is often like that as well…
Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.

Arch-Rarifag
Favoritism happens. There have been studies about how people’s opinions are formed by irrationality more often than otherwise.
Background Pony #0A03
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone so much as mention St. Germain.
ender1200
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

That’s actually my biggest problem with the fandom as well. More the trust issues than the favoritism, seeing how the trust issues make fans be rude towards the people who work on the show and create a pessimistic attitude of “MLP sucks now!”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide