Let's talk the sidebar!

barbeque
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Thread Starter - Tag alias request thread
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

@Dr Outback  
While this had occured to me, there are some users out there that do not want to see any sort of activity easily, and would thus go insane over a 10 pixels wide collapse/expand thing on their frontpage. Probably also something with not wanting to glance at the forum activity by accident once in a while, so that they can come and whine if we change anything.

@SunnySide  
We already have way too many settings. For example, I don’t know why Subscribe on reply/upload/etc are even settings. Doesn’t uploading/replying 99% of the time mean you’re interested in something? That it would be annoying for those “Shipping? Lesbian? ;_;” shitstormstarters to keep getting notifications on things they already downvoted anyway is not my problem. Or those mass/meme/duck-uploaders that don’t even fave their own uploads.

But to answer the question: Clover is kinda against more settings. The tabs make it at least slightly more navigateable. I’m not saying it’ll never happen, but in any case not in the foreseeable future I guess.
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@barbeque  
The subscription options are useful for me, for example, because I manually subscribe when I’m expecting a reply. Having a forced automatic subscription would only annoy me, because there’s a limited number of subscriptions (50?) which means the ones I’m interested about would quickly get unsubscribed and I would have to go manually check the comments, negating the usefulness of the subscription system.

On-topic: it’d be nice if I could make the sidebar narrower. It’s now about 320 pixels, but if it was 220 pixels, it’d be perfect. Perfect for me… :-) I need a bigger monitor.
barbeque
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

@JP  
Eh, it was merely an idea. You have a good point (FYI I think you can subscribe to an unlimited number of things, but only the latest 50 will show up. I think Clover said at some point that we can probably raise this number to a hundred or something).

Currently the width is pretty much exclusively caused by the two smallthumbs for top scoring etc being next to each other (about 156 pixels per thumb, making for 312 pixels minimum). That was all by TSP’s design/idea, so I’m not going to deviate from it unless he agrees.  
also just wondering how big is your current monitor? My browser’s about 1000px wide, so when on smallthumbs things look pretty nice, though when logged out there’s only room for two columns of pictures. I’ve always disliked the bigthumbs anyway, so I miiiight be a bit prejusticed on this
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@barbeque  
1280x1024. I get 4 images per row with some 230-240 pixels to spare, so that’s almost five images. The sidebar drops that to mere three. If it was only 220 pixels (plus a few pixels of padding) then I could have the sidebar plus four images.
BigMax
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@barbeque  
What about a little of responsive design? Like

@@media (max-width: 1280px) {  
.image_container.thumb_small {  
width: 120px;  
height: 120px;  
}  
}@
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@SunnySide  
Every checkbox increases the software complexity, the number of possible bugs and the number of required tests. While having settings and customization is a good thing, it can make troubleshooting really hard because there are so many combinations in the software. Finding the balance between too many settings and too few settings is very hard. That’s why having sane defaults is important: the less users have to change the settings, the better.

Source: I LOVE CHECKBOXES BECAUSE I’M A TINKERER. But I also know the pain of having to write all the code required to actually implement the various settings.
BigMax
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I think it would be better to remove the All time top scorers from the sidebar.  
Those two would get more attention than the others, so they won’t ever change. Not very good.
SunnySide
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <SunnySide> And how durable the buttholes are.

@JP

@BigMax

Taking away a few unnecessary things that’s more along the lines of stroking an already growing love for a picture, that’s been seen from probably the vast majority of the site, and replacing it with some more useful things might lessen the load.

Of course, that would take effort and Dammit your useless feature should be appreciated.
barbeque
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

@JP  
In terms of complexity, I don’t think it’s even that much of a problem. The real problem is that the Settings page is going to end up having 500+ checkboxes and things that way, and nobody will ever be able to find the one they’re actually looking for. It’s great for power users, but regular users will just get lost at some point.

@BigMax  
As said, discuss things like that with TSP. It it was up to me, All Time Top Scoring would just be a link to said page, without the thumbs. I’m not saying it can’t be changed, I’m just not doing it without him greenlighting it. Same goes for the slightly-smaller-thumbs (though that’s going to mess with things, might be better off using 4 50x50 thumbs or something then, but then you lose vote indicators again etc). Get him to greenlight not-settings-related things like that and they will be done
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo

Surprising myself, I’m using the sidebar a lot more! By that I mean that I could just click the Images tab but I click the DB header to the frontpage instead, when I want to refresh. The new frontpage is actually better for a quick overview on what’s happening on the site.

So yeah I’m sold.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide