Addressing rule 4/6 abuse

Rexton the III
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
An Artist Who Rocks -

One artist, two tags
Hello,
I’ve asked before, but could someone please address the rule 4/6 abuse when it comes to fetish content. I post clean and fetish versions of my work that are constantly subject to people abusing these rules. This does not only affect me, but anyone who does similar content.
When one version of a picture has 5 downvotes compared to 50 on another version of the same picture, it’s clear that there’s 45 people who are downvoting based on content, most likely from viewing only the thumbnail, which is against rule 6. It is also clear that these people should be filtering said content instead, as per rule 4. Maybe they need some help?
I tag my uploads correctly and link a non-fetish version of the piece (if available) in the description. I don’t see what else I can do. I don’t want to force anyone to see this stuff, but it’s getting really old always being on the receiving end of this. I have talked to other artists who are interested in similar topics, but don’t post their work publicly for that same reason.
Here are some recent examples. And yes, they are all explicit and the alts contain scat, so be warned.
Celestia
Vanilla version
>>2932381
Fetish alt
>>2932605
Roseluck
Vanilla version
>>2917629
Fetish alt
>>2919122
Coco Pommel
Vanilla version
>>2908495
Fetish alt
>>2911202
Apple Bloom
Vanilla version
>>2869630
Fetish alt
>>2871900
Nurse Redheart
Vanilla version
>>2851234
Fetish alt
>>2854839
You can see a very clear trend here and you can pick pretty much any pair of my uploads (or anyone else who happens to have a vanilla and fetish version of a piece) and see the same. As downvotes aren’t public I can’t be sure, but I can imagine it’s going to be mostly the same users doing this.
Also, if I could tick a box to stop an upload from appearing on the front page, I would also use it every time when posting fetish content.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Rexton the III
I haven’t been involved in a long while, but ~back in my day~, policy was to report any fetish/filterable content images that had a high number of downvotes and a mod would check if there are users that have an unnaturally high frequency of downvoting stuff they should have filtered (or in this case, intentionally unfiltered).
For a lot of “high impact” fetishes, the downvotes tended to be spread somewhat evenly between people systematically downvoting all the content, and “passer bys” that’d have little interaction with other such images but for whatever reason it shocked in particular (probably a bad search query during “me-time”…)
Anyway… yeah, reports and someone should look into it. As for intentionally hiding stuff from the first page, while I can definitely see the usecase, I can also very clearly see how this could be abused by bad actors.
Rexton the III
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks -

One artist, two tags
Thank you for the quick reply.
I guess I can just report those, but it’s going to be pretty much every time I post. But if it’s not a problem then I can do that.
Yeah, I can imagine the hiding-from-front-page could get abused with all sorts of shit. It would need an approval queue or something like that, don’t know how heavy it would be to moderate, or implement.
Just making “grotesque” explicitly opt in could probably go a long way of solving it too. Like I get the idea of the “everything” filter, but people just use it because they are lazy but that also includes things 99% don’t want to see. At least they would have to understand that they have no right to complain if they are using it.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Two drive-by suggestions:
  1. Treat the everything filter as if all the images are spoilered regarding the downvote button on search pages. If you want to downvote from search pages, nopony enjoys absolutely everything: admit that fact and use some spoiler tags, at least.
  2. Perhaps treat the “hide from homepage” box as a privilege to “trusted” users like the Fimfiction auto-approve story queue. Make it available to artists with “artist upload only” or “reassign upload credit” on their DNP list and ban their account if they get caught abusing the privilege.
Brokedownandmadeone
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@Rexton the III
You aren’t the only one this happens to. It’s pretty much all images under that easily filterable fetish, even though I attempt to tag as thoroughly as possible on all uploads. Unless adding one happens to slip my mind which isn’t a common occurrence. Not much can be done AFAIK.
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
That’d probably be the best approach. Like a filter that explicitly warns you “this will show you things you probably won’t like. Are you sure?” and lists the last things that are no longer filtered. Heavy fetishes like scat, snuff, whitekitten, etc. Though I’m sure there’s at least a handful more that would qualify.
Or, the last tags could be listed there and have to be explicitly unhidden.
Background Pony #DE4F
Does the site record/allow moderators to see if a vote was placed from the thumbnail view vs. from the image page?
Actually, I don’t have any suggestion that’d follow up if so. Guess I’m just curious.
Does the site record/allow moderators to see what filter was in effect at the time a vote was placed?
If it can be seen that content-related downvotes come significantly from users set to “Everything”, perhaps voting could be disallowed unless you are using a filter that is not “Everything”?
Of course, a user can create their own “Everything” filter to continue to see all posts and restore the ability to vote - but perhaps requiring this extra step would spread awareness of the site’s policies and make a slight barrier for anyone who isn’t doing it on purpose.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Does the site record/allow moderators to see what filter was in effect at the time a vote was placed?
No, only the filter they are currently using, and whether that filter has the tag in it.
But generally speaking if someone is downvoting a particular set of tags, it’s pretty clear.
Grapefruit Face
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Me & My Delusions
You know what really sucks? Seeing your art being stolen & badly edited and it getting no downvotes. You decide it’s time to crosspost your original from your DeviantArt account and within 11 minutes it’s already gained two downvotes… probably because it has an OC being shipped with a canon character. Smells like 4/6 abuse to me.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Grapefruit Face
If you report those we do look into them, and if it is SUS we do ban the people doing it and clear their downvotes. In fact, if you ran the math on all the bans on the site I’d be willing to bet most of the “Banned For Life” profiles were involved in multiprofile voting shenanigans.
That said, it can take WEEKS to run the math with some of these. I just this weekend finished one I’d been grinding on for almost 2 months, and someone else had been working for months before me. In the end, it turned out to be one person, with lots of profiles, carefully presenting each profile like a different person with different tastes - but in the end just one person behind all of it. They must have been using spreadsheets to keep track of it all.
That said, the site has a couple people who vote on nearly every single image that is uploaded. That in and of itself isn’t rule breaking - it’s actually impressive.
Just imagine it - profiles with votes in the hundreds of thousands, or even millions.
They gotta catch ’em all. And, for the most part, they do. They probably see more images here than most staff ever do.
Where this becomes a real problem of course is when we find artists downvoting their competition. That right there is where this becomes personal.
Anyway … don’t worry about reporting this one, I’ve got the image and am running the math on the people who downvoted it. But, in the future, reports do get looked at, and it can help us detect trends that lead to being able to do something about it.
Background Pony #DE4F
The limit of having 3 open reports makes the approach of “report problems” very frustrating and inefficient.
Doubly so when some kinds of reports can take months to resolve, such as the kind in discussion here. I know that Ciaran may note down a report and close it before resolution in order to mitigate the limitation, but I don’t think there’s any general policy for moderators to do this.
Whenever I bring it up, with suggestions to increase the limit or implement other ways to ease the restriction (like “in-progress” status not counting for the report limit), the response has always been something like 3 reports being historically optimal or that people will open too many reports otherwise (not as in report abuse - which is already bannable - but as in people ignorant of reporting best-practices in cases such as artist takedown requests). It comes across as disingenuous to be encouraged to report problems and then prevented from doing so.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #DE4F
The reason for the report limit is to prevent report spam for frivolous/non-issues by users and making it 100x worse.
Unfortunately no perfect solution to allow more useful reports while also preventing report spam/abuse.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #DE4F
You are also an exceptional super-user edge case. Most people report things that can be taken care of pretty quickly, normally within four hours on average.
But your reports often involve hours of research, contacting others and waiting for their replies, and even sometimes Excel spreadsheets.
Or, in some cases, dealing with the people or the situations you’re logging mean that whomever takes the report is going to end up in therapy or having to take a stress-induced vacation from the site for a month.
You log some hard things to handle.
It might be more prudent to just handle your reports as special cases, doing the same kind of “passing them through a staff member to re-log” like ive done with them, or just make you an assistant on the site so you can log things without the limit.
Reminds me of the old special class of super users we used to have back before the heightened security for assistants was added.
In all honesty, I don’t duplicate a lot of your reports because if I do then my name is on it. And if a report is in a staff members name, the rest of staff tend to leave it for that person to handle, so I end up being the person responsible for it. And lately I’m tending to have close to 30 or 40 reports or PMs in my queue all the time. I did 20 or so this last weekend, but I’m already back to three dozen pending reports or PMs, so me reposting your reports with my name in it is not a great way to get them processed.
Although, that would get them off your queue.
… let me think about it. There might be a way to communicate that the reports I’m re-logging to get them off of your profile are not actually reports I know anything about or am claiming, so others will free to grab them.
Or maybe, like I said, we should just add you to staff, if that’s something you’d consider.
Background Pony #DE4F
@Ciaran
I didn’t bring the point up for it to be about me.
In this case, it was the explanation:
@Ciaran
That said, it can take WEEKS to run the math with some of these. I just this weekend finished one I’d been grinding on for almost 2 months, and someone else had been working for months before me.
…and I could just see, as if in a crystal ball, that it’d become a hindrance to the people being given advice, here.
But, upon reflection, I shouldn’t speak for others, I guess - downvote abuse is something I hardly pay any attention to or even notice, personally, so I don’t really know how often people would need to make reports about it. If they’re not running into reporting problems, then all’s well in this case.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #DE4F
Well, it’s not all well if you are still hitting your head on the report limit.
I honestly can’t see how many reports you have open from where I am right now, but if you’re maxed out and they aren’t moving please PM me and I’ll see what I can do to expedite at least two of your open or in progress reports.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide