Subjects of Equestria! We are pleased to kick off the Nightmare Night Festivities and the 14th anniversary of the return of our beloved Princess Luna! Join us in celebration!

Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

BlitztheDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I know you don’t mean it this way and were likely joking, but I am very quick to shut down any talk of “not everyone should vote; there needs to be an IQ test.”
For one, IQ tests are limited in their ability to actually measure things like critical thinking and reasoning skills - it only measures ability to recognize and memorize patterns. For two, this kind of talk is EXTREMELY similar to supporting the Jim Crow era “literacy tests” that were used to disenfranchise Black voters back in the day.
marinus18

@marinus18
Minimum wage increases unemployment and stagnates wage increases.
Taxing businesses just increases prices at best and at worst stalls, halts, or even reverses economic growth.
Price control destroys the supply chain.
I know that most people reading this thread do not believe that. But many people do. And Kamala merely not acting like people believe this makes them less likely to vote for her.
I honestly think the idea of her trying to seem more right-leaning economically is just her trying to get some of those voters.
I know some believe it but will that belief actually be enough to overpower the obvious gains? I don’t think so. Especially if you check it and see that there is no evidence for these claims. A higher minimum wage increases employment usually. Taxing businesses increases business due to combatting overly powerful megacorps and enabling smaller businesses to thrive more easily and price controls usually stabilize markets and make it more dependable.
Her throwing her own supporters under the bus and trying to go with hollow words rather than concrete promises is just bad politics which she does cause the establishment doesn’t want to hear her helping the voters rather than the elites.
Natry
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Constant Lurker
At most I would be okay with not an IQ test, but a “did you bother to read what you’re voting on” test. Ask a few simple questions from the ballot and that’s it. But even that’s open for abuse.
Background Pony #D717
@Natry
Better, crank the reading level of the whole thing down. Most Americans can’t read past 6th grade iirc.
marinus18

VA increased minimum wage and yet we have some of the lowest unemployment in the nation, Vermont has one of the highest minimum wages in the nation and is 2nd in lowest unemployment. The states with the highest unemployment are a mix of states with higher or lower minimum wages. Meanwhile, states with high minimum wage also have high wage growth, again Vermont is a good example.
Minimum wage does not directly lead to unemployment, I’m not sure where you would get that.
While on a micro level, some individual businesses would scale back when there are wage increases, but other businesses wouldn’t and prices would ultimately adjust.
Usually higher minimum wages lead to an increase in jobs. Cause it allows people to work less hours meaning companies have to hire other people to fill those voids. Most minimum wage jobs are in the retail and horeca sectors which are heavily dependent on local purchasing power. If the minimum wage goes up then purchasing power goes up too so they have to hire more people to handle that.
Simply put employment relies on markets, not wages. Companies hire people because they have a job to do, if they didn’t have to hire those people they wouldn’t. A higher minimum wage doesn’t change the fact that there is work to be done. No company seriously says “Wages are low so let’s hire some people for, reasons”. Instead what will happen is “Average wages in that area are up so let’s create a new establishment to serve those people there”.
marinus18

I posted earlier in this very thread a story going over the data showing that unemployment and prices didn’t skyrocket as corporate media and capitalist sycophants insisted they would after California instituted a $20/hr minimum wage for fast food workers.
Or perhaps you are simply too wedded to your ideology to acknowledge you might be wrong?
Also when corporate taxes were at their highest in the 1950’s-1970’s was when economic growth in the US was the highest which makes sense if you think about it. If corporate taxes are high there is a very strong incentive to invest rather than hoard as most hoarded money is taken away from you. There also were regulations that made passing money off to shareholders more difficult which pushed up wages which pushed up sales which let to growth.
Usually the higher corporate taxes are the more opportunity for growth there is as long as those taxes are progressive. You want to make it hard to maintain power in the corporate world but easy to gain power. Also high taxes means you can have high spending on things that are essential like energy, healthcare, science and the like. Rather than waste the money on mansions or yachts. The investment into the space project did more for the economy several hundred mansions and yauchts would ever do.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
The place where I volunteer puts up the ballot proposals right there for people to see so they know what they are voting on. I’m talking the full proposal and not just the fancy titles.
It’s always filled with the jargon and legalese you’d expect from a bill. Yes I fully agree with having a “common man” translation alongside them.
Yeah, because they were lied to.
marinus18

@marinus18
Do you think that there might be a reason that they believe these things?
Of course because billions are spend every year on pro-corporate propaganda by people like the Koch brothers and Dennis Prager. It’s also pushed hard by politicians since they are often in the pocket of corporations. Elon Musk recently made Twitter a cesspit of corporate propaganda.
There is a reason why people believe it. It just isn’t one tied to the facts. Propaganda that says we should be subservient to the elite has always existed. Even in ancient Egypt and ancient Rome. With modern technology though it’s become far more efficient. The enlightement in many ways was a pushback against the propaganda justifying the rule of the feudal elite.
marinus18

@marinus18
Do you think that there might be a reason that they believe these things?
Of course because billions are spend every year on pro-corporate propaganda by people like the Koch brothers and Dennis Prager. It’s also pushed hard by politicians since they are often in the pocket of corporations. Elon Musk recently made Twitter a cesspit of corporate propaganda.
There is a reason why people believe it. It just isn’t one tied to the facts. Propaganda that says we should be subservient to the elite has always existed. Even in ancient Egypt and ancient Rome. With modern technology though it’s become far more efficient. The enlightement in many ways was a pushback against the propaganda justifying the rule of the feudal elite.
The place where I volunteer puts up the ballot proposals right there for people to see so they know what they are voting on. I’m talking the full proposal and not just the fancy titles.
It’s always filled with the jargon and legalese you’d expect from a bill. Yes I fully agree with having a “common man” translation alongside them.
Yeah, because they were lied to.
But also the time of high wages, high corporate taxes and high spending on public services is when the US was at it’s most prosperous.
CaptainXtra

STOP PROJECT 2025!
When I say “simple IQ test”, I mean “is the Earth flat” kind of simple.
Not that cruel nazi “what’s the square root of 74647383938475748” in an alleyway kind of shit.
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I can’t agree with a test to be able to vote because it would be abused, but man, I get the sentiment behind it. There are too many fucking idiots in this country whose vote is worth the same as mine.
igotnopicks
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
So Trump said he is basically a truthful person.
Then he was laughed at by the host who was hosting him on his podcast.
So even the Podcast host knows Trump is full of shit.
BlueYoshi
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Luna is best pony
U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan on Thursday agreed to unseal additional filings from special counsel Jack Smith laying out his election interference case against former President Trump, something Trump’s attorneys signaled they plan to challenge. Chutkan agreed to a request from Smith to unseal exhibits that accompany his 180-page brief asserting that prosecutors can still bring much of their Jan. 6 case against Trump in the wake of a Supreme Court decision granting former presidents broad criminal immunity. Smith argues Trump’s efforts to thwart the transfer of power were the unlawful actions of a private citizen, not of a president.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Steam Drulls - Furry 3D Platfromer!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide