Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@silbasa

Honestly? Fuck the other countries, we’re talking about the US.

If the other nations suffer because the best and brightest come here to create jobs, that’s their problem not ours.

Many HB (1-3) Visa holders choose to stay in the US. Even those that don’t often open up jobs here. Indian H1’s are a good example, with many of them opening up businesses here that employ hundreds of Americans.

Those that just come here to study and work still have net positives. US students who attend programs with international students, on average, do better than those who don’t. The programs also get more funding, and take on more US students than programs that solely take on US born ones.

International students are also several times more likely to collaborate with US firms and schools even after they’ve left the country. And on average, international students help drive a lot of innovation within the US even if they no longer reside within its borders.

The HB and international study students have been shown to have nothing but positive effects on the US.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
You want to really be “America First”? Then attracting highly qualified visa holders and international students is a damn good way to do it.

The US was once a Mecca for international studies, and we prospered for it. All the data points to that any crimping of education based immigration leads to a net loss for the US. In business, innovation, technology, collaboration, and funding.
silbasa
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Zincy  
Great for the US, sucks for India.

@Latecomer  
Yeah. How many can be taken in before the systems collapse if the flow dont stop? I dont know. When seeing the trouble they have now distributing some kids from 1 camp in Greece in the EU imagine that with millions of people…
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@silbasa  
I knooow. I’m not gonna totally blame border officers for losing patience due to being swamped by the number of applicants coming in.

But then the message is sent to whom? the blame is placed on whose lap? If the blame is placed on the asylum seekers, that’s a problem.

@silbasa It should be a little bit problematic for legal citizens, tbh. That’s like if I raided your home because you’re black and I was looking for a black suspect. SURE, at the end if you’re legal and clean there wouldn’t be any problem but the stress of having the possibility of being detained or removed from the country because of some reason you have zero idea about, is NOT FUN.

Das what Obama was doing to US muslim citizens during the war on terror, really.
Latecomer

@silbasa  
Probably more if less effort was spent trying to futility stem the tide. The best “cure”, as you said, is fixing their countries, and that won’t happen quick or easy. Or, well, shooting them.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@tehwatever  
The message I suppose is simply: “Dont come.”

They dont detain and deport citizens do they? Why are they beeing targeted? They often hide illegals. Same with the muslim community in the 00s. Thats where certain bad people came from so thats where their efforts went.

If a white man plans an attack and they find out you bet his door gets kicked down as well.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer  
You know, if it was not completely politically impossible I would have wanted the west to go in and stabilize many of these countries. Make them stop warring so a society could be built and people could live with security and peace. It would take many decades and cost insane amounts but maybe make the world a better place.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

the best and brightest
May or may not be, if we refer to Asylum Seekers and Refugees. We were talking ppl who fled their countries because they gay, they dissed the prez, they uncovered dirty gov secret, etc.

Legal immigration in general is bringing the best and brightest, because they usually either already have the capital to start life in 1st world country, or are smart enough to earn a sponsorship. So legal immigration not only bring in CAPITAL to the USA, they bringing above average human resource too. And usually they’re willing to integrate, even if they still retain their idiosyncrasy from the old country.

why El Presidente wanna put a stop to that, is beyond me.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@silbasa  
Of course. Which is why now ppl want to raid the cops’s homes because CLEARLY them cops be hiding some real bad apples, so yeah, I understand the sentiment.  
NOT FUN, innit?
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer  
Japan and South Korea post ww2 are the best examples I know of. Protected against the international economy by the US until they were ready. Today they are world leading countries.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@tehwatever  
Yeah there are bad cops. But remove their status and let angry people kill them without repercussions and you have Somalia or Afghanistan. There are reasons people are coming from there to the West. Their fear of cops be damned, the local warlord is scarier.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Patachu
To dehumanize them in order to facilitate atrocities against them?

And Illegal Entry is only classified as a misdemeanor.

If this is okay in response to misdemeanors then imagine what we can get away with for felonies. Or worse, other misdemeanors!

Oh. Would you look at that. Jaywalking is a misdemeanor.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

But remove their status and let angry people kill them without repercussions and you have Somalia or Afghanistan
That slope be slippery. Srry not buying it. Let angry ppl kill them? I never suggested that. I was suggesting that the experience ISN’T FUN.

You can’t be defending the cops hiding bad apples if you’re okay with cops raiding houses looking for bad apples in people’s community. That’s not consistent.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@tehwatever  
What to do then? Allow crime to persist? Allow illegals?

And no there is no defence for a bad cop. But alas people are imperfect and tribalism exist. At least in democracies there are some control mechanisms. All of the BLM cops for instance are under arrest.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@tehwatever  
Actually I don’t think you said anything about defending cops hiding bad apples. MY BAD.

At least we agree that bad cops NEED some major spanking and the whole department needs some cleaning. throw rotten eggs away.
Latecomer

@silbasa  
But that required a world war.

@silbasa  
There is the defence of zero tolerance - come down on them like a ton of bricks, and on anyone who covers up for them like a somewhat smaller amount of bricks.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide