Mario Discussion

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
full

50UP! SOUP!

@Jarkes  
They should’ve done more research…

@09MurphyM  
The thing is, the Super Mario series doesn’t usually have as much deep lore, and consistent backstory as Zelda.  
Miyamoto even admits this is intentional, as he wants to leave that up to the player’s imagination, and wants them to have their own lore for Mario. In fact, he doesn’t even consider Mario a plumber, nor ever considered the Koopalings as Bowser’s kids. (Stuff like that was probably invented by people at NOA.)
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Beau Skunky

I think the plumber thing was a mistranslation or misunderstanding. From what I remember, Miyamoto was saying that Mario isn’t a plumber ANYMORE because of all the other stuff he’s done now.

And the Koopalings being Bowser’s children was in the Japanese manual for Super Mario Bros. 3, so he probably just changed his mind later and decided to simplify things.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
I think the plumber thing might’ve come from the 1983 “Mario Bros.” arcade game. (Not to be confused with SMB) Some game descriptions call the brothers plumbers, or exterminators.

It was? Y’know, I hear the 7 Koopalings didn’t even have names in Japan, until “Super Mario World” adapted the American names. It’s funny, that something American made it into the Japanese version, as that rarely happens.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
Maybe it was just meant for that one game, or something.

Oddly, some of the RPGs refer to them as plumbers, but Miyamoto isn’t as involved in those.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
Well, it’s from the official NP magazine, and a guy whom actually works at NOA. So maybe what you heard isn’t right. (Shrugs.)

Though, come to think of it the more recent game “Super Mario 3D World’s” opening scene featuring the Mario Brothers fixing a broken warp pipe seems to hint at the plumber thing again, so it’s kinda inconsistent in the games whether they are, or not.
Jarkes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Beau Skunky

Like I said, I think the current stance is “He was a plumber, but not officially anymore because of everything else he’s done over the years.”
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Also, there was a video Q&A Miyamoto did on the Mario games a while back, and of course one of the first questions was “So who’s Bowser Jr.’s mom?” Cut to Miyamoto with a “Really?” look on his face before he pointed at himself.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
I thought that was hilarious. I believe that was back during the “SMB 25th Anniversary” promotion Nintendo did.

Another year, and less then a month, we’ll have both Donkey Kong’s & Mario’s 40th birthdays, (1981-2021) but I fear Nintendo will ignore it…  
Would be cool if they licensed a DK arcade cabinet to Arcade1UP, or made their own cheaper minicade, or something.

@Jarkes  
It’s debatable, but overall Mario has had more occupations. In the original DK he was a carpenter for a construction site.  
He’s also been in a demolition crew, (“Wrecking Crew”) a chef, (Yoshi’s Cookie & G&WGallery2/4) a painter, (Mario Paint) a professional golfer, (NES Open Tournament Golf, and the Mario Golf series) a cement factory worker, circus trainer, an army soldier, (Game & Watch) an ambassador to other nations, (QIX) a boxing referee (NES Punch-Out!!) and other things.

In regards to his Doctor persona, Miyamoto hinted he might not be how-you-say a legit/legal doctor.

@igotnopicks  
Not sure if the plunger means anything, as that’s a common thing in cartoons, and such. Plus said device was made by E.Gadd.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
So apparently in the Japanese version of Wario World on the Gamecube (which was released after the English version), the Black Jewel has a drastically different second phase.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
It’s hard to believe “Wario World” was made by Treasure, the same developers as Gunstar Heroes, Mischief Makers, Sin & Punishment, and such. They make good underrated games.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@The Equestrian Zodiac  
It kinda fell under the radar though for being a bit short, (even with the optional treasures hidden in each level) and arcade “Beat ‘em-up”-like, but it’s kinda nice it blends that genre with platforming a li’l, and so far it’s the only true 3D Wario game.

Shame they didn’t use some of Wario’s attacks from it in the SSB series.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Beau Skunky

Closest we’ve got is Wario’s Up + B move being called “Corkscrew”, but it’s nothing like the “Corkscrew Conk” move from Wario World.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
Some also argue Wario’s bite special is a li’l similar to his coin sunction ability from “Wario World,” but it’s not quite the same still. (But it can be used to eat items, or some projectiles.)

In fact, the Wario Ware motorcycle, the trademark Wario Land shoulder-charge attack, (which they brought back, more suitably as his running attack) and possibly his downwards throw attack (featuring his butt ground pound) are the only attacks from any Wario game in his moveset.  
Unless you count the microgames involving Wario’s stench/flatulence leading to the famed fart attack.

@Marx  
Me too, that or Greenhorn should’ve been included in Ultimate’s soundtrack.

@The Equestrian Zodiac  
Maybe ‘cause as mentioned, there wasn’t much demand for it, and because it was made by Treasure, but then again Sega had no problem rereleasing their Treasure games, including a 3DS Eshop remake of Gunstar Heroes. (Which was great BTW.)

They’ll probably only rerelease it if they ever start to port GameCube games to newer Nintendo consoles, which fans have demanded sense the Wii-era. Shame, as “Super Mario Sunshine” is one of the few major Mario games I don’t own, but loved.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Shepherd  
The Chimp, a rather underappreciated/forgotten SMG2 character.

Y’know, I never realized the Mario series has had so many anthropomorphic animal characters in it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide