General Anime Thread

TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@DeathCloud  
I’ve heard that just like Sky High, the main character doesn’t really have any superpowers. I’ve also heard that it similarly has characters with superpowers that are just bizarre.

It sounds like a weird show.
dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
My dad has recently discovered isekai. He’s really into Overlord now. I bet he’d like KonoSuba.

As for me, I started reading the Hanebado manga. It’s very different from the anime. Ayano (the eponymous main character) is much more lively and energetic. In the manga, she’s not cold, she’s just shy. The manga also shows her natural athleticism off the court instead of having her turn it on during a match. She seems like, y’know, a person instead of a mean robot. The initial setup of Ayano and Nagisa’s match is better in anime, though. The match is more visually interesting the anime, of course. But in the manga, Ayano plays that match with her off-hand, and she barely loses (21-18). Nagisa is going all out, and Ayano isn’t even sweating. A bit contrived to get her to play with her off-hand, but I thought this was a more effective way of establishing Ayano’s skill while showing the character has a goddamn personality.

Coach has a more central role in the manga (he seem to be the point-of-view character), but he is also a lot creepier and I’m okay with that change. Also, Yonex basically being part of the character models is actually from the manga, I thought that might’ve been added in after their sponsorship.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
So, I read the Hanebado manga up to chapter 16, the latest chapter to be translated, as far as I know. Chapter 16 is easily the most faithfully adapted so far, and I guess they decided to apply that tone to the whole show. I did take a peek at chapter 17 and at least it doesn’t have Ayano giving back the handkerchief, so it can’t be that bad.

I shouldn’t complain about every change the anime made, but I do want to mention one change: the boys. The manga does not have girls fawning over the prince of tennis at the start, and the two boys in the club hardly have any lines for the first three volumes. Like, it’s actually a big deal when they talk. I’m guessing the love triangle between Yuu and the other two gets developed later in the manga, and they just decided to play that up more in the anime even though none of the characters involved are developed at all. (Or did they take that one scene and extrapolate a romantic subplot between the three?) Maybe I’m being too cynical, but this feels like the original “Cardcaptors” western adaptation. Like the studio (or whoever decided that change) thought boys wouldn’t watch this unless the boys were more involved.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka ep 3. I don’t think this show has particularly good timing, and the material is already pretty average. Probably works better as a 4-koma. I think I’m done.

Devil is Part-Timer/Hataraku Maou-sama ep 1. I didn’t think much of the premise going in but this seems pretty well thought out. I liked how bewildered Satan and Alsiel were by our world, and I also liked how calm Satan was. I also like how most people didn’t care that there were two guys walking around in big capes. (Cultural differences, I guess.) Show had pretty good timing, too. I even liked the expository bit starting at the police station. I thought it would be really dumb to do a lot of exposition on stuff we already know, but it was executed pretty well. I hope this keeps this up.

I kinda hope Satan stays evil in the end. He probably will turn out to be a genuinely nice guy at heart or whatever but I think it would be more interesting if that didn’t happen (executed properly, of course). Also, I can’t help but imagine what the show would be if they structured the story backwards. Like, if it didn’t do the backstory first and just started with scenes like this:

full

I think it could’ve been this weird chuunibyou story with an amazing twist in the end. Maybe.
Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
Anyone here watch Boku no Hero Academia? The reason I ask is because my buddy Sean recently described it as being “Harry Potter, except one of the characters is a frog for no reason.”
I need to know how accurate this is.
Edit: Someone else just told me that it’s more like an anime version of the movie Sky High. I’m just surprised somebody else remembers that movie.

BnHA as Harry Potter????

I’d expect someone someone to compare something like Little Witch Academia to Harry Potter before BnHA. At least LWA takes place at a literal school for magic.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
@dt  
I just finished Devil is Part-Timer, so I can talk about it with you. Episode 1 is a good episode. It does a good job at establishing the setting. As for the structure, while the twist would have been funny, I like the way they did it. I like that they contrast between going from one world to another. In my opinion, episode 2 is much better than episode 1. I’ll explain why when you get to it.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
@dt

Also, there’s something kinda amusing about you not liking Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka because a lot of anime fans consider it the quintessential moe show.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
@Holofan4life  
/shrug I don’t like every popular mo-e show. I didn’t like Yuyushiki at all. I got to the (first?) beach ep of Love Live and I was hating every second of it for some reason (it is on the retry list, and maybe I’ll skip that ep). I actually don’t like most of the first season of K-On that much, but I did grow to love it.

I see similarities in GochiUsa and K-On, so part of me wants to give GochiUsa a chance, but eh. I got so much other stuff to watch.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Hey, conflict. Conflict is good.

The bit with Emilia on the other side of the door was pretty great. Also, Chi takes the lead for my favorite character. I hope she actually gets an arc.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide