I need an artist's help

Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@1TrickPone  
Sometimes some people are just on a budget and there may be more money in it to appeal to the budgeted audience, rather than much higher prices which some will indeed pay, but not nearly as many will. I’m fairly budgeted myself, I can’t spend more than $50 on one commission (though I don’t do comics, $50 is indeed way too low for 18 panels, colors and shaded, unless Kaz is referring to a Tumblr style or newspaper funnies type comics).

Im actually surprised to see such a fight happen on here, I knew paid work being discussed always ends up in this sort of thing over at other places, but damn this got heated 0.0

One final comment about prices though that bugs me, it’s what people are willing to pay I guess, though at the same time I’m a bit wary of people who set a high price for simple sketches, at that point you know they’re just using their popularity to sustain those prices :P Which is smart but, makes you look a little snooty. Because if you’re a big artist, you’re probably a very fast one, so a lot of money for sketches is silly to me.

Here I am, just sitting here trying to have a civil conversation about a niche internet topic, while Kaz and 1Trick exchange blows :P
1TrickPone
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
The Power of Love - Made a piece of artwork loved by 1000 users
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Kaz  
I am perfectly capable of detecting sarcasm, I was being purposefully obtuse.

This is a hot button issue for me since I do financially support myself with my art. Not so much with the pony stuff, but that’s beside the point.

@sono  
I understand that commissioners in fandoms are frequently on budgets, and I think it’s important for any artist to have some affordable options because the people supporting fandom artists are not publishing houses or corporations - they’re people.

What’s the worst pricing for sketches you’ve seen in these parts? My fandom pricing is about a third of what I charge for my time on my real job, which itself is lower than average. I can still knock out a neat image for $50 though, but I don’t feel comfortable selling sketches because they are messy as hell (if I’m putting more effort into them, they might as well be bumped up to inks).

Rambled a bit there. Oh well.
Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

There’s a couple I know where it’s $30 minimum for a single figure sketch XD Pretty nutty if you ask me. Even if they are busy people it’s a lot to ask for for something they can do in 20 minutes or less.

And yeah, my sketches are really sloppy too.
1TrickPone
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
Artist -

@Sono  
Well, whether or not that’s appropriate is on a case-by-case basis, but that is definitely on the high end for fandom stuff, and pretty close to the low end of professional rates.
Firenze

As someone who takes commissions, yeah the price of $50 is stupid cheap work, especially when most panels will take about 2hours to do to a decent standard (as you have to take into account panel size, how it relates to the rest .etc. as well as actually drawing and painting the things). I’ve seen that work before, and although I cannot remember the name of the artist, they really are selling themselves way too cheaply here.
1TrickPone
Artist -

We just want you to know that you’re getting a hell of a deal, is what we’re saying. I don’t know if I agree with the two hour assessment for every panel, but some will take that long depending on the detail. I would have to knock each panel out in about three minutes or so at that price, and I honestly don’t think that’s possible unless you copy/paste predrawn art.
Kaz
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Ask the Next Person A Question Game

MurdershyIsHottest
I take everything I said back. I actually found someone who will do the comic and she said she usually would charge 80$ for something like that, but she is doing it for free (I posted in the requests section of MLP forums and she told me she’d do it).
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide