Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
If only we had some way to annotate the characters in >>602649, I can’t tell who’s Gawd or Xenith, or if they’re even in there (the former is tagged but the latter isn’t)
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
@Wiimeiser  
Not a yea/nay to your idea, but throwing my two cents in: I really hate annotations that are visible by default, a la youtube and e621. Sure, sometimes they’re useful, but more often than not they just get in the way.

There are two instances I can think of where annotations serve a purpose. One is translations, and the other is facebook-style tagging characters in a photo. For the first, I much prefer our current method of uploading a separate, translated picture. For the second, I could see how assigning an image’s tag to an arbitrary region of an image could work (hover on a tag, rectangle appears) but given how often it’d be needed vs. how easily it could be misused I doubt it’s worth the effort.
Moonatik
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For exemplary work, above and beyond the call, helping to sort out artist tags and aliases.
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Da Magicks! - Merited Fine Arts badge with only their own art
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

drank the gender fluid
Suggestion:  
Add “Foalcon” to the list of “Other important tags” on the Tag Guidelines page, it’s not only pushing the limits of what is legal in many places, but I’m sick of seeing this tag go disregarded as it’s one of the few things I truly cannot stand.

Oh, and also fix that one bu- **BANNED.**
Brass Melody
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Gas Loving Baritone Butt
So now that apparently the notifications section has been changed to have them appear page by page instead of being one long list, could we maybe have the option to change how many appear per page?
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@BK Leonidas  
I chose 11 per page in a very opinionated manner because that’s the most amount at once that can fit on my 1920x1080 screen. Is there a particular reason you want to see more? (Additional page loads run under a second for me.)
Brass Melody

Gas Loving Baritone Butt
@byte[]  
It’s more because of a habit I developed during my time on this site to run through them all at once rather than a select few at a time. But also I figured it would be consistant to give users the option to change this since we also have settings for how many comments and submissions can be viewed per page.
DoublePipe
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@BK Leonidas  
More options usually means added complexity for the code, layout, tests and the ability to cache content.

When it comes to design changes in general, I’d recommend trying to get used to them for a few weeks first. Our human instinct is to react negatively whenever something we are very used to changes, but we also tend to adapt pretty quickly.
Wesley Foxx
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

The Fluffiest
I had a minor heart attack when I saw that my notification page had suddenly shrank to only a dozen items. This is mildly acceptable though will be nightmarish when I’m trying to catch up on stuff on my phone. Requesting at the very least an option to have them sorted oldest to newest.
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@evan555alpha  
It’s not necessary, per se. I changed it to paginate because first, it is now actually possible to paginate notifications (previously it was not due to the idiotic way it was stored) and second, because I removed the upper bound on how many notifications you may have; there is no longer a hard limit of 100 notifications.

I understand that it broke your workflow, but what doesn’t these days. Maybe try reading your notifications more often?
Princess Luna
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
To add to this: limit what you’re subscribed to if you don’t actually care about reading them. If you’ve developed a habit of amassing dozens of notifications and dismissing them all without seeing what they’re about, that really seems pointless and isn’t what notifications are for.

We could raise the amount per page, but I think it’s usually preferable to go for not having scrollbars. Also, it’s better for our server to have a limited amount of things to spit out on page request, as it puts a bit of an upper bound on loading times when loading times are dependent mainly on the number of things.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@byte[]  
I check my notifications once a day. I just wanted to know why it was seemingly needlessly changed. Why change it to pagination in the first place? On the rare occasion that I did go in to the double digits, I really didn’t mind just scrolling down, and working my way up. Was it intended to be more of a mobile feature or something?
Brass Melody

Gas Loving Baritone Butt
@DoublePipe  
I mean I’ll go with it for now but I’m just saying that given how we also have settings for how many comments and submissions can be viewed per page, I don’t see why the same can’t be doable for this new notification system.

But then again I don’t code this site so what do I know?

@evan555alpha  
Also this.
stsyn
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Economist -
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes

It’s not like I ever had more than 10 notifications at once, but 11 per page is really too low. At least 20-25, (as default in comments) maybe even 50 (because they’re simpler than comments)
Wesley Foxx
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

The Fluffiest
I check my notifications every day or two but still tend to pile up 50+ of them in that short time frame (even despite having more or less fallen completely off of checking my watchlists for the last several months) just because I’ve commented on thousands of images. I’ll load up the notifications tab first thing in the morning, then go about my internet browsing, waiting to catch up on derpi until I’ve gotten everything else caught up, oldest to newest so I know what time stamp the oldest unread posts in each thread will be so I’m not reading half a comment section over to get caught up. (EG: Oldest one is 23 hours ago. Any comments that are days ago on an image/in a thread have almost definitely already been read)

With the paginated system, whelp, guess I’ll just have to keep 4-5 tabs open to do that. At least it’ll be kind of sort of not really any faster to open 10-12 of them at a time because I won’t have to gasp hit page up (the horror)

Aaaaall of that said

I am supremely thankful that the 100 notification limit is gone because that was part of why I had to work that way, because otherwise on busy periods like new episode days I’d frequently hit 100 before I could catch up. How many days is it, still 3, or no limit?
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
This all seems like a really artificial “problem”… just go through the notifications as they come at leisure, it’s not like clearing through a few and hitting refresh, or just clicking to a page, is that big a deal =/
Wesley Foxx
Artist -

The Fluffiest
@The Smiling Pony  
I mean. Most places it isn’t an issue, but most places also have notifications bring you back to the oldest unread post instead of the newest. 🤷 So for those of us who are OCD about missing out on unread replies and stuff.

@byte[]  
Sweet. Yes, it used to be anything older than 72 hours would be auto purged. Or maybe that was just an unfortunate bug, all I know is that even if it was less than 100 of them I’d still never have any older than just barely 3 days old if I went on vacation or something that left me unable to catch up on things frequently enough so since then I wouldn’t let it go beyond two without using my phone to catch up even if I’m traveling.
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
The way it seems to be made out to be, we need a pull system instead of a push system for notifications
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide