Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@CaptainXtra

US.

@Patachu  
@Background Pony #9B61
a quid pro quo is when you give something to someone but want or expect something in return. In Trump’s case, it was giving Ukraine a military aid, to strengthen their border with Russia (yes the same russia that got an impeachment procedure last year) and seemed to ask a little something in return, a favor. It is not clearly mentioned, but there was nothing factual, not a deal, not begging or asking Zelensly anything, just asking for a service or making a suggestion.

Here’s the stink: Congress already approved to send the aid. There was supposed to be no strings attached; Trump however abused his position by unilaterally withholding aid until, and I quote, “I would like you to do us a favor though”. For the record that was a quote from the rough transcript that the White House thought would exonerate Trump. Who knows how damaging the real thing must be, particularly since the White House is fighting tooth and nail to hide it. The aid, which again was supposed to have been given with no other provisions, had been held up for months by the point Trump made the call and then started going all ‘Scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours’.

It needs pointing out again that it doesn’t matter whether there was a quid pro quo or not. Trump broke the law by asking for foreign aid against his political opponent, period. The fact that he usurped another branch of Goverment’s power to do so and threatened an ally nation’s security to do so only makes it worse.

@Patachu  
@Derpy Whooves
Yes indeed. But hey nothing’s free. Again, you don’t ask someone something and expect nothing, not even a little help in return. Would you?

If you really want to look at this from a transactional perspective then here it is: Ukraine is our ally. Russia, despite Trump’s squeeing over his Putin-sempai, is our enemy. Russia is bearing down on Ukraine, so us giving them nominal assistance in the form of money helps stem Russian expansion/aggression without us having to fight them directly.

So to summarize there’s an unspoken two-fold trade: they get America’s assistance and we get to prove on an international stage that an alliance with us means something as well as counter, however indirectly, one of our opponents. Trump personally added another, spoken requirement - one that was outside his station’s privilege, benefited only himself, and both at the expense of America’s constitutional sovereignty.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Dustcan  
And, again, repeating myself but some people are determined to ignore the facts; Trump never released the funds.

It was released by the budgetary office against Trump’s orders when the government’s own lawyers determined the hold on the funds had no legal basis and was not lawfully authorized. And that was done so late in the Fiscal year that Congress had to pass a new law re-appropriating the money.

Ukraine is still waiting for $35 million of the money from February of 2019, and Trump threatened to shut down the government next month to prevent Them from getting their 2020 aid in a timely fashion.
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@Dustcan  
Cold war’s over. I saw the berlin wall faling on TV when I was little.  
Yourn if not our enemy is radical islamism groups, and china, economically. But Russia? Come on.  
There’s no such thing as an evil conspiracy from secret ex-KGB infiltrating everything. We have the same looney theories here about the Brexit, the right or left, etc.

@Mikey

What will ever be done if everyone followed every law? Ever managed to get away from a fine for speeding or parking like shit by negotiating with a cop, even just by talking, verbally, discussing, not giving him a bottle or a bill of 20 and hope to never meet him again.

You think the other side isn’t breaking any law maybe? Everyone deals and everything is all about arrangements and negociations.

on this, I agree, Trump fucked up and should have never done that on a recorded line.

But in politics, or in anything, if you do everything by the book, you won’t succeed.  
if you get caught… CHEH! You fucked, but it’s the risks. Neither the politicians here are clean, none of them.

@Derpy Whooves

As an American, I suppose, do you like to see your tax dollars going there? A president does not manages budgets but has roles.  
Do you think it’s normal to give money to countries that don’t give a shit about us? I’m also thinking about Israel, among others.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Do you think it’s normal to give money to countries that don’t give a shit about us?

Do you think it’s normal to ask countries that “don’t give a shit about us” to investigate our own citizens?

The POTUS has one of the world’s largest investigatory bodies at his immediate beck and call. Why do you think he is ignoring all of the domestic resources he has access too, and is asking a country that he claims is “too corrupt to trust” to investigate Americans?

As an American, I suppose, do you like to see your tax dollars going there?

Helping the Ukrainians against Russia’s invasion of their sovereign lands and the slaughter of their people seems like a fine use of tax dollars, and I’m not the only one who thinks that.

The bill to extend military aid for Ukraine for another year was passed the Senate by a bipartisan 82-15 vote, a week after it passed the House, 301-123.

This isn’t all new aid - this bill also RE-AUTHORIZES THE ORIGINAL AID, because $250 million in Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative funds that were authorized LAST year didn’t get released by Trump, and have to be re-authorized.

So - yes, a big chink of this aid has been authorized TWICE now with bipartisan support in Congress, and the only reason it’s being released now is because Trump’s own administration has determined his order withholding it was not legal, and is refusing to follow his orders.

Read that again - Trump still has not released the aid. It was only partially released, in the last hours of it being legal to release it, because Trump’s own administration determined that withholding it was not legal, and they chose to ignore Trump’s direction.

So why is Trump refusing to release the funds that were authorized by a law that he himself signed into law? As he is required to do by the Constitution? Which he swore to uphold and protect?

A president does not manages budgets but has roles.

His roles do not include asking foreign governments to investigate American citizens.

But let’s talk about the elephant in the room.

You seem to be saying that you think it’s a reasonable for the POTUS to ask a foreign government - a government who he doesn’t trust - a government that he believes is too corrupt to release legally authorized funds to - to investigate US citizens who have not been charged with any crimes.

All in exchange for releasing funds which were appropriated by Congress, signed into law by himself, following the investigations into corruption and the certification that the Ukraine had met all of the requirements for receiving the aid and had done everything requested of them in cleaning up their corruption issues - after all of that was done, signed, sealed, and delivered - “just one more favor” after the country has done EVERYTHING required of it, to the letter?

You think that’s reasonable.

And somehow the POTUS following the law that HE HIMSELF SIGNED INTO LAW is “unreasonable”. And his not following the very law that he signed is “perfectly normal”.

Is this something you actually think? Or is this just another example of you parroting talking points because this is all a fun game for you?
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Dustcan
Cold war’s over. I saw the berlin wall faling on TV when I was little.

Tell that to Putin. Maybe then he’ll be happy with running the already largest nation on Earth and stop invading his neighbors.

What will ever be done if everyone followed every law?

For starters we won’t be spending billions on law enforcement, judges and courts fees, and feeding the Prison Industrial Complex. Sure would free up a lot of discretionary spending for other projects.

Oh and a knock on effect is less people in prisons (because less people commiting crimes) mens a lot larger working force. Last I heard America has a rating of D+ for its infrastructure. Could maybe bump that up a grade or two if some of those prisoners spent less time committing crimes and more time as construction workers.

Oh and to bring it back to the topic, perhaps if some people spent less time breaking the laws and more time not breaking laws then we would have a President who A) is currently being impeached and B) seems utterly incapable of hiring anyone who themselves can’t help but break the law. Like, even a single hiree.

You think the other side isn’t breaking any law maybe? Everyone deals and everything is all about arrangements and negociations.

You have a point here. I’m 100% certain that the reason the Dems aren’t busting Trump for financial crimes, literally the easiest and most straightforward crime you can nail him on and crimes his personal attorney is currently in jail for right this moment for is because the Dems themselves don’t want people looking too close into white color crimes ~for some reason~.

Even so, this is still a whataboutism. Dems being assuredly criminals themselves doesn’t change the fact that Trump is a proven crook.

But in politics, or in anything, if you do everything by the book, you won’t succeed.
if you get caught… CHEH! You fucked, but it’s the risks. Neither the politicians here are clean, none of them.

Realpolitik is why the world is shit. Just saying.

@Derpy Whooves  
Do you think it’s normal to give money to countries that don’t give a shit about us?
Do you think it’s normal to ask countries that “don’t give a shit about us” to investigate our own citizens?
The POTUS has one of the world’s largest investigatory bodies at his immediate beck and call. Why do you think he is ignoring all of the domestic resources he has access too, and is asking a country that he claims is “too corrupt to trust” to investigate Americans?

Also relevant, in spite of having literally an entire country’s worth of professional investigators at his charge, he delegates the authority of foreign affairs to his personal lawyer instead. A guy who coincidently I’m sure, ‘happens’ to not work for the government and therefore has no need to be given oversight on.
Princess Applejack

It does irk me that Trump is letting Rudy do whatever he wants in a foreign country while representing the US yet doesn’t have any authority to do so. Claiming that he has lots of evidence on the Bidens yet when he goes to speak with Trump he tells Trump he doesn’t have much. Its gotten to the point that Rudy is just wasting time and money trying to manipulate the election. Forcing out an ambassador because he says she is “corrupt” yet after months of investigating Rudy doesn’t come up with anything.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Look at the breakdown in economic data is rosy for Trump at first, until you notice a particularly glaring anomaly.

Gens X,Y, and Z, now the single largest voting blocs on average lost economic power over the last 5 years.

Every single gen Y, and 1/3rd of Gen Z is of voting age now, constituting the single largest group of voters in the US. A bloc so large that if just 40 total percent of them vote they can single handily pull the election one way or the other.

Coincidently, they’re the two blocs that Trump is doing the worst with. Gen Y is miffed about being left out of the economic gain, and gen Z is easily the most environmentally focused voting bloc in US history.
Princess Applejack

@Zincy  
Trump thinks that his base will help him secure a second term, the Republican party still think they are in the Regan era at best and the Nixion era at worst. They have to start charging how they approach politics. Because seeing how Trump is acting doesn’t make the Republicans look good. They are becoming the party of hypocrtics lets Trump act like a king just because he is doing things in the conservative interest, like deregulating the economy and supporting the controversial pro life movement. The Republican party sold their souls to Trump out of tribalism and self preservance. Because they know they could not have won the presidency without Trump. When Trump leaves he will take his voters with him because Trump’s base hates politicians its really mind boggling to see the GOP make fools out of themselves for voters who don’t care about them.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Last Thursday, three days after taking office, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear restored the right to vote to more than 140,000 people who had served their sentences for nonviolent offenses.

In less than five minutes online, I was registered to vote. The ease of the process was surprising to me, as I had spent most of the last decade sending reams of paper to the governor’s office to apply for a restoration of my voting rights. Untold voicemails left with the Department of Corrections to find out if it had been granted, or denied, or even looked at. In the course of that decade, I never received an answer. Never a no. Never a yes. Simply silence.

It’s not and never is a coincidence that the fewer Republicans in charge the more Democracy is allowed to happen. Oh and by the by, Kentucky is comrade Mitch McConnell’s state. And he’s up for reelection come 2020.

Just some food for thought Kentucky residents.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@CaptainXtra

Not until all her enemies have fallen out of fourth-storey windows twice, stabbed themselves 40 times, or slipped and hanged themselves in highly secure federal prisons while the cameras were turned off and the guards on breaks.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

🚙
I said this before and will say it again  
Americans are lucky they don’t have somewhat with the hatefulness of Trump but with far higher intelligence  
Basically, Pence  
Pence is just as hateful, if not more hateful and bigoted, as trump, but he actually has the intellect to hide it  
This is a small incident but the way he handled John Oliver beating out his bunny Book was masterful. He basically said “that’s cool” and left it at that.  
If someone like pence handled the child concentration camps, his PR would be far better than Trump’s.  
Basically, Pence is the American Modi
Princess Applejack

@Apple Thor  
And tell me why Hillary doesn’t deserve to be elected President when it came back a few months ago that after three years of intense investigations into Hillary Clintions emails the FBI came back that there was no wrong doing. That Trump and his associates have been chatting lock her up when she didn’t do anything. She testified at the Benghazi hearing too.

Trump on the other hand goes to extreme lengths to hid his tax returns, admitted in open court that he misused his charities for personal and political gain, is making unsecured phonecalls on a cellphone to Ukraine knowing full well that Russia is mostlikely listening in on those calls. Admitted behind closed doors that he believes Ukraine tampered with our elections because Putin told him so. Started stupid trade wars that are hurting the economy, driving wedges between our NATO allies and betrayed the Kurds the last one he did for money and against the advice of everyone. Is so thin skinned he left the NATO summit. Yeah Hillary is much better than some failed Business man that only chose to ran for office to one up Obama.
Natry
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Constant Lurker
@Apple Thor  
Being the lesser of two evils doesn’t give you the right to the presidency. Maybe not illegal, but the primary shenanigans her campaign and the DNC were doing was pretty unethical. Bernie “deserved” the presidency more than anyone else, and I say that as a Modeate Conservative.
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@Natry  
I second this. I know and still do have a lot of friends who voted for Bernie, they had a LOT of hopes. They realized their votes were stolen, on every poll, on every aspects Clinton shouldn’t have been there to begin with.  
I understand those who voted for her instead of Trump but going full “I’M STILL WITH HER SHE’S ALL CLEAN” is dishonest, and kind of a form of submission.

So, like I said, that’s politics. Try doing anything or be efficient without cheating. It’s cruel, but our world is so.

@Commune

I’m telling you that, as a right-winger, …You don’t want Pence. I’m joking about it but if really you get Trump impeached and removed, he’s the US president for one year. He’s not gonna pardon Trump either. Trump knows the Senate isn’t dumb and will pardon him that’s why he allowed himself to cheat. We all know what he did, and how he’s holding his reelection. Since the beginning, but what if the Senate’s republicans decide to tell him to fuck off, impeach and get Pence… that’s a possibility.
Natry
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Constant Lurker
@Apple Thor  
The DNC is supposed to be impartial, but leaked emails show they were working against Bernie. Also, there was the issue where some debate question topics were given to the Clinton team ahead of time.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide