Vent thread

Josh103
Thread Starter - Artists you miss.

15 years after The Station nightclub fire.

We haven’t learned.

And we probably won’t. Why?

Well to be honest, I think it’s just inevitable. Our culture, human nature.

John Barylick puts it best. How many people have to die before the world cares? 100 deaths in that fire wasn’t enough apparently? How about 242 in the Kiss nightclub fire in 2013? No? Well apparently the 492 deaths of the 1942 Cocoanut Grove fire must’ve been forgotten, because while there was a drastic decrease in nightclub disasters in the next few decades, an alarming amount since then have suffered from similar disasters since 1990.

It doesn’t even apply to just nightclubs, or even building fires. It surprises me still just how many individuals I’ve seen and met have never heard of the Oklahoma City bombing. Is it simply just the transition to the new generation? So far it seems like everyone knows about 9/11. Is that what it takes? 2,996 is the magic number? Or just give it a few years and Generation Z won’t know about it until high school or even college? Maybe even not at all until it’s mentioned in passing conversation?

It worries me because even 9/11… a tragedy almost universally considered, by us Americans, to be caused by those doggone terrorists, has another side to it that isn’t mentioned at all, and without being a conspiracy nut, many more lives could’ve been saved that day.

But even looking through those tragedies through my lens, a reasonable person might tell me, “Well Josh, if there weren’t pyro used in that club the fire wouldn’t have happened! If the killers didn’t have guns the shootings wouldn’t have happened! If those terrorists didn’t hijack those planes 9/11 wouldn’t have happened!”

Well of course, but the “easiest” solutions (no indoor pyro, ban all guns, no immigrants) wouldn’t actually solve the underlying problems. They only address one aspect of the problems, and, unfortunately, the other factors still make their own contribution in the recipe for disaster which can reach that fatal critical mass.

So why even care about The Station nightclub fire? What’s so special about it? Viewing the video link I posted above seems like an normal footage of a fire. People die, and aside from the screams of people burning alive, to the average hardened Internet Joe, nothing too disturbing about it. “Woo, fire spreads quickly! I was taught that in elementary school! Who cares?”

Well, from a certain perspective yes. But I think that tragedy is one of the most drastic and most quintessential examples of how multiple factors and frankly, petty decisions by others, and most of all, negligence, can affect so many lives, and all it takes is all those factors put together, and you have a sudden recipe for disaster that, if you aren’t quick, will make you just another statistic to be reported. And you wouldn’t even know about it.

So how is that relevant? I mentioned shootings and even 9/11. Sure there was a fire in 9/11, but a little far-fetched to relate it to a comparably small-time disaster. And shootings? I mean other than the sparks from the guns there ain’t anything remotely related to pyrotechnics. And what about other tragedies?

Well… I wish I could elaborate more, but I honestly ran out of inspiration by now. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so naturally uncaring. :/
warc9
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Ultimate Fan of Scoots
@Josh103  
Maybe nightclubs should just not allow fireworks?

Like, “ban fireworks indoors” doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me.
someguy111
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I drink too much and I need to stop but alcohol is all I look forward too anymore. I’m told it’s my fault I’m so depressed but I just can’t feel happy with how awful the world around me is.
Binkyt11
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.

Sleep isn't real.
As petty as my shit is, there’s really no where else to post this… for the creators here, can I just ask y’all this? Have any if you guys ever like, feel like shit knowing that whatever you make is always gonna be one-uped by someone else? Like, you did a certain concept early and you’re really prour of it but then someone else does it much better than you and you can’t get mad or jealous because you know you’ll never be as good and just go with the punches?
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Binkyt11

There will always been someone better than you at something.

The sooner one comes to terms with that, the sooner you can start appreciating your own work more.

I know my writings will never be as famous as J.R.R or Dahl, but I accept it and move on.
Josh103
Thread Starter - Artists you miss.

@Nightweaver20xx  
I was hyping today’s date up, mostly for myself, to try and write on why that fire means that much to me.

Unfortunately I couldn’t bring myself to write a well thought-out essay of sorts.

But I persevered and thought, I must write something.

Low and behold, I did. Disorganized and incoherent, but at least I typed something that hopefully might touch someone. It probably won’t, but that’s okay. Who would listen anyway.
Hollowfox, Always The Worst Person
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Est. 2012
@PonyPon  
But no matter how I want love to be still alive, no matter how I try to ignore people’s opinions instead of insulting them for hating like a beast with a strong opinion, there’s always haters who go against the things that I don’t see it as harmless and/or that I like. Which makes it unlikely for love to be still alive around the world.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide