Proposal for rules about unedited screencap image quality

Site and Policy » Proposal for rules about unedited screencap image quality Search Posts
Background Pony #B1A6
Currently, there aren’t any site rules governing image quality. If a post is later uploaded in better quality, or if a crop does not seem meaningful, it might be duplicate-merged. Occasionally, egregiously bad or pointless images might be deleted, case-by-case.
I’d like to propose a set of standards for unedited screencaps to provide cause for deletion of mutilated images:
  • Photos of a display (“picture of a screen”) only allowed of media during a time that it is not available on devices that can screen capture (not counting unusual hardware like capture cards). eg. If a movie premiers on broadcast television, or if a preview is shown at a convention panel, photos of the display would be allowed - not in any other circumstance.
    This only applies when the purpose is to show the media. If there’s more to the image, like showing one’s plushie collection around a screen that’s playing an episode, that’s not what this rule is about.
  • There should be nothing overlaid on the image that is not part of the video data - no playback controls, gradients shown while paused, rounded corners, closed captions, etc.
    If the purpose of the post is to show something about the closed captioning (such as YouTube auto-captions making mistakes), that’s not what this rule is about.
  • The image should be in the correct aspect ratio.
  • The image should show the full frame. Crops should be done purposefully (and tagged) - because composition is subjective, there can’t be a 100% strict rule about this, but I’d propose a guideline of at least 20% removed from either width or height.
  • There shouldn’t be extra bars or borders around the image - no letterboxing (unless it’s part of the scene, of course), no pillarboxing, no whatever is going on here.
  • Uploads at slightly-different-from-standard sizes like 1910x1080 or 1920x1090 are all but guaranteed to have one of the previous three things wrong with it, if I’m not mistaken.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I do not agree that images like these should be deleted:
And images like these are how we help identify, and then figure out names for the background ponies:
Beyond not believing these should be deleted, I am not comfortable with the idea that there would be rule or set of rules that might cause people to think they would be rule-breaking.
Anyway, thinking that I would have to delete images like this just because they are letterboxed would make me sad:
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@StarIsEnby
I don’t feel that would be appropriate. I mean, we have an API for programmatically uploading, so limiting humans when we don’t limit computers in the same way doesn’t really seem appropriate.
Personally, I think if someone is causing problems with their uploads, and are breaking rules, the better response is to report them so staff can assess the situation and if we agree it’s rule breaking we can then talk to them or ban them - whichever is appropriate.
Background Pony #B1A6
I do not agree that images like these should be deleted:
Several of your examples are not posts that my proposed rules would apply to:

This image is not trying to be a pure screencap. It is a “waifu dinner”, with meaningful content and context besides the screen showing an episode. As I wrote: “If there’s more to the image, like showing one’s plushie collection around a screen that’s playing an episode, that’s not what this rule is about.”

These are not trying to be pure screencaps. They are significantly and meaningfully cropped. As I wrote: “Crops should be done purposefully (and tagged) - because composition is subjective, there can’t be a 100% strict rule about this, but I’d propose a guideline of at least 20% removed from either width or height.”

In my opinion, the poster should have trimmed the black bars before posting. Indeed, my proposed rules would not allow posts like these.

In my opinion, the screencap is marred by the overlaid gradients. There are myriad ways to grab a pure frame from a YouTube video (download the video and use a video player; grab it while the video is playing and the UI is hidden; use a userstyle that hides the UI while paused). Indeed, my proposed rules would not allow a post like this one.
Beyond not believing these should be deleted, I am not comfortable with the idea that there would be rule or set of rules that might cause people to think they would be rule-breaking.
Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.
Anyway, thinking that I would have to delete images like this just because they are letterboxed would make me sad:
If adopted, the rules could be applied only to new posts going forward, not retroactively. It wouldn’t be the first time new rules spared old posts, grandfathering them in.

@StarIsEnby
There’s already a different thread to talk about that, not this thread.
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Badge Dragon
@Background Pony #B1A6
I’d kinda like to see this happen…
With each passing year there’s less of an excuse for stuff like picture of a screen and inability to remove black bars beyond the unwillingness to learn how to do it (which are often very easy functions included in any phones/computers from the last 15 years).
I don’t think it’s a terrible ask for the bare minimum quality check for your screencaps at this point.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
What is the feasibility of automatically removing letterboxing upon upload of images tagged screencap? Would this also work for videos? In a way, I’d assume video trimming would produce fewer false positives.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide