Background Pony #EB68
So. My crazy headcanon is: Earth ponies can do magic. But wait! Don’t leave! It makes sense, I promise!
All pony races have different types of casting magic:
– External casting – usual magic. Can affect other objects and creatures from distance.
– Contact casting – magic that work on objects/ponies/air that’s touching caster.
– Internal casting – magic that affects own body and aura of caster.
Also there’s indirect casting of cutie mark magic, magic of music, magic of love, of friendship, etc, but I’m not touching those.
* Unicorns have 95% external, 5% contact, 0% internal
* Pegasi have 0% external, 80% contact, 20% internal
* Earth ponies have 0% external, 5% contact, 95% internal
All races have contact magic one way or another. That’s how they grip things with hooves/tail. Pegasi additionally generally use it for manipulating air, changing objects’ weight, etc. Internal magic for pegasi is for resisting cold temperatures, etc.
Earth ponies generally use internal magic in order to boost their strength, restore vitality (aka boosting endurance), etc. How they grow plants? That’s more interesting. They still use internal casting. Plants are very empathic. So Earth ponies synchronize their auras to match plant’s aura. When plant ’feels’ it, they slowly adjust their aura to needed value, and plant will do the same. Plant with changed aura will have changed growth rate, or they grow bigger, or anything else.
But it’s not the limits of internal casting. It’s just method of casting, therefore, they can use any spell they want. Inverse their own gravity? Sure! Transform into other species? No problem! (I think I know how legend of wereponies came to be). Obviously they can’t levitate objects, but anything that’s can be casted on themselves, they can cast.
Same for pegasi. I think they can cast Cloudwalking spells by touching you, etc.