Viewing last 25 versions of post by 97blackbird in topic The Continuing Adventures of Medi-Bat

97blackbird

"[@Communist Starlight":](/forums/writing/topics/the-continuing-adventures-of-medi-bat?post_id=4771994#post_4771994
)  
No. I haven't seen much of Clone Wars. (that's the animation, correct?) I saw the prequels and that pretty much killed it for me. (Although 'Rogue One' was a very worthy addition, IMO.)

"

[
@BigBuggyBastage":](/forums/writing/topics/the-continuing-adventures-of-medi-bat?post_id=4772405#post_4772405
)  
Lucas may have a pretty good imagination, but he is absolute shite at dialog. And many of his films have awkward scenes that aren't supposed to be awkward. ("Red Tails" first 15 minutes come to mind.)

Furthermore, I think the first two 'Star Wars' films were good for two reasons. First, they had input from his first wife. I think her contributions were critical in forming Princess Leia into the kick-ass character she is. Also, she undoubtedly helped with dialog in scenes that she felt were interesting. Combat isn't interesting to women, typically; so it is no mystery why we have laughable dialog like, "Break out your visual scanning" during the climax of the film.

Second, Lucas had push-back and limits. Noone thought then that he was a god-tier filmmaker, and so when cast, producers, and crew found something they felt was bad or wrong, they said so, and sometimes prevailed against Lucas' 'vision'. Budget also kept him from doing weird things like having Han Solo be a half-android, frog-like, character. Imagine Leia falling in love with that! (Oh wait, you can... just watch 'Solo' and see Lando and his android...*awkward-cringe)

I paid to see Episode 7. the name escapes me... but most other films post-prequel trilogy I was treated to by my bro's family. His kid loved them. I just sat unmoved and shook my head. I just don't flippin' care. And that's the problem. You can find better stories on fanfic sites. Stories that actually take you on a journey with a character, not just drag you and them along on an event timeline.

The saddest thing is seeing Lucas of 1978 say, "A special effect on it's own is a boring thing. You need to have a reason to watch it" I feel that all the recent films violate that statement and are a series of special effects strung together. Again, "Rogue One" is the exception.

However, I think the franchise can be salvaged. I haven't seen "The Mandalorian", but there's enough good press to convince me it's worthwhile, someday I'll watch it when it doesn't directly feed the -~~mouse-~~ rat. And the "Clone Wars" as was said, is also watchable. The serial nature and lower budget of these productions may prove to be the saving grace.: A return to bare-bones storytelling and relate-able world-building. Perhaps that will entrance the next generation and keep the Force alive.
No reason given
Edited by 97blackbird