Fanfic Writing General

DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DoctorWTF
Sorry, I missed this! That’s a wonderful idea, I love the idea of exploring pony prosthetics more.

I don’t suppose you’ve watched the Rainbow Roadtrip special? For my second idea, I was thinking it might be fun to bring in Kerfluffle and have her be the one to teach Scootaloo that there’s no shame in getting around on artificial parts. Or maybe the pirates from the movie.

For what it’s worth, I’ve actually looked into getting into the prosthetics field, but none of the major manufacturers are located anywhere I’d be comfortable moving to.
Cromanti Cheer
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@WyrmSpawN

You know, I hadn’t considered this. I guess MLP:FIM certainly has a large enough cast for it.

@DoctorWTF

I still haven’t caught up with everything on the show yet, sorry! But that sounds great, she seems like a cool character to use more.

Also everyone, I have a question: I kinda realized how weird it is while writing that Celestia and Luna have special Latin-y names while everyone else around them has names like Star Catcher and Skywishes. Should Celestia & Luna have more “pony-ish” names as kids? Like “Celestial Skies” or “Lunar Breeze?” I mean, those sound weird as well, so I dunno.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
If you were to make a retelling of MLP who would you make Twilight’s best friend? As in the one she would have the deepest bond with. Just like Naruto and Sasuke or Spongebob and Patrick are inseperable. Someone that would help her to interact with the real world.

Would it be Pinkie Pie, where she could help her open up or Rarity who would bond over being the more sophisticated and intellectual ponies?
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Cosmas-the-Explorer

I dunno, the Mane Six group dynamic was so central to the show and its friendship-related messages that giving Twilight a “best friend” as such feels like it would probably take away more than it would add.
Cromanti Cheer

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
I think I get what you’re going with here.

Twilight’s first friend probably shouldn’t be Rarity, given that she develops bonds with a lot of unicorns already and you probably want a little bit of variety with the “smaller circles” that develop before the Mane 6 is fully developed. Pinkie could work, especially since being everybody’s friend is a major part of her identity, but it could feel a little too “manic pixie dream girl.” Fluttershy’s…unlikely, but there might be some sort of story there where Twilight needs a vet for Spike and Twi and Flutters gradually open up to each other. Rainbow Dash might be too abrasive, but Applejack could start as some kind of purely business relationship that turns into a friendship.

I do think that’s the most likely angle for all of these: business relationship that turns into a real friendship. For instance, Twilight staying as a shut-in for X number of days until she needs food or care for a mysterious illness on Spike. Then she ventures out of her hermit life to meet a pony who can help her with this physical problem and gradually develops a relationship with a folksy, grounded earth pony, or a more extroverted pony, or what have you.
Cromanti Cheer

I may have done something slightly bonkers today.

Would anyone here be interested in seeing a spreadsheet comparing Derpibooru tag hits to FIMFiction tag hits?
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
I’d like to make a thread that is specifically for folks to dump their plotbunnies. Can I make that?
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Cromanti Cheer  
I like these ideas! Although now that I think about it, I might not want to force in a best friend. If she just so happens to have a closer friend than I’ll know when I write the story. But I do like the idea of Pinkie Pie helping Twilight to open up. And AJ being like the sane friend of the more quirky ponies and kind of being the sort of big sister for Twilight.

What’s more important is the personalities of these characters and the worldbuilding. Which I’ll talk about in another post.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Cosmas-the-Explorer
Would it be Pinkie Pie, where she could help her open up or Rarity who would bond over being the more sophisticated and intellectual ponies?

The problem with Pinkie Pie is that her uber-outgoing nature would most likely cause your version of Twilight to run away screaming (Rainbow Dash would be almost as bad). Perhaps Fluttershy would be a good choice, with the two of them helping each other break out of their respective shells.

@Ranch  
I’d like to make a thread that is specifically for folks to dump their plotbunnies. Can I make that?

I thought that was what this thread was for?

Speaking of which, here’s another one: rebuilding Griffonstone.

When Griffonstone’s economy went down the toilet, it’s quite likely that they’d have been brain-drained into oblivion - that any griffon with any sort of marketable skill would have bee like “Screw this, at least the ponies can afford to pay me decently”. So what I propose is to have Gilda (Gabby’s involvement optional, but recommended) go around Equestria and use the Power of Friendship to look for griffons who have the skills they’d need to make Giffonstone into not-a-craphole (carpenters, plumbers, architects, engineers, doctors, etc.), and persuade them to use said skills to help their fellow griffons instead of just to bring home a big bag of bits for themselves.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
@DoctorWTF  
I like the idea of Fluttershy and Twilight bonding first because Fluttershy would be the only one that could really relate to Twilight. Fluttershy would say how just because friends can be imperfect, doesn’t mean they can’t still be friends.

And I think one thing I would do with the fanfiction would be to emphasize how each of her new friends would teach her about a certain aspect. Like for Pinkie, how she would teach her how to have fun, or AJ, how to be a leader and how to be a better big sister/mother figure to Spike.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
An idea I currently don’t have the time or current derise to write: some kind of Anon in Equestria story where he can only have full conversations with Fluttershy and Trixie. Twilight eventually learns to comprehend him but he cannot fully understand her horse noises and the subtleties of her body language.

Fluttershy uses her ability to talk to animals to have two-way conversations with Mr. Human; Trixie has minor trouble interepeting human language but her talent as a stage magician means that she can communicate clearly to any sapient species.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

If you’re in the mood for something NSFW, here’s one:

“Rainbow Roadtrip” had this device which amplified any magic fed into it (it was only used to produce the rainbow display for the town’s annual festival, but it was implied the thing could just as easily amplify other spells). So, the idea there would be for Princess Cadance to pump her love magic through the device and cause a town-wide orgy (maybe accidentally, maybe not-so-accidentally).
Cromanti Cheer

@DoctorWTF  
Or changeling magic, I guess.

Alright, y’all: should Celestia and Luna have different names pre-alicorn-ification? I just can’t imagine an earth pony and a pegasus running around as kids using ethereal, cosmic names like “Celestia” and “Luna.” Then again, I feel like name young Celestia something like “Celery Sweets” would be kinda groan-inducing.
Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

reformation is the best
Hello, i want to ask.

For the sake of writing a story that is like a sequel to an old book from the 19th century, if parts of the story are left ambiguous can I come up with my own answers since these stories are public domain?
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
Here’s an a fanfic prompt for a short story I’ve been thinking of for awhile. (note: this is NOT necessarily a Sparity shipfic. It can be as a shipfic or not but that’s up to you):

Twilight asks Rarity to tell Spike to give up crushing on Rarity. Twilight tells her, that Spike shouldn’t try to go for an impossible dream.

But Rarity disagreed vehemently for she thinks it might just be a childish crush, but it represents what all people strive for: dreams.

Rarity would understand what it’s like to have a crush on someone mostly unattainable (for Rarity, Blueblood). But it gave Rarity a goal in life, a dream, that a formerly working class pony can strive for. Even if she was rejected by Blueblood, she doesn’t regret go after him.

And for Spike, it’s the same thing. It can lead to Spike having new skills, having Rarity teach him how to be a gentleman and having a friend that likes to play Ogres and Oubliettes with him.

And Rarity tops it off with saying how it’s always possible for Spike to grow up, and to win the heart of Rarity. Rarity doubts it would happen but that’s up to Spike’s fate and destiny and no one has the right to artifically force Spike to give up his dream.

This kind of ties into my future character-driven reboot idea where Spike and Rarity would have a close friendship.
Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

reformation is the best
Here is another question.

I want to make my own “world” Within equestrian where some of its citizens eat meat, I said that they eat animals that are from the wild or wild versions of modern farm animals that don’t talk and are basically the same animals on earth.

I’m just wondering if it’s ok because the citizens are not evil but they need to eat food since their omnivore or carnivorous creatures?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide