Why are "Sweetie Drops" and "Bon Bon" two different tags?

Wolfgang Anonymous
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

I'm a smartass.
I was wondering this for a while now and I wanted to ask any of you if you know why. If there is no need for the two character tags that reference the same character from the show, we can just make one an alias for the other.
Wolfgang Anonymous
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

I'm a smartass.
@Barhandar  
does that make the two names necessary tho? There’s a big difference in the number of images under the two tags, (10,495 under the tag Bon Bon and 8,075 under the tag Sweetie Drops) and that means that 1/5th of the images you could find under one tag wouldn’t exist under the other. It makes it confusing and less convenient for people that way, so I don’t see why one can’t just be the alias for the other.
JustTheBast
Silver Bit -
Ruby -

@Wolfgang Anonymous  
I have to agree, since they are just two different ways of referencing the same character and do not signify an actual difference in the tagged image, it makes sense to alias them and merge the artificially divided set.

At the moment, each tag implies the other, so that each new image that is tagged with one is automatically tagged with the other, but there remain 2412 images tagged only “Bon Bon”, presumably from the time before “Sweetie Drops” was revealed as the official name.

If A implies B and B implies A, then A and B are equivalent, so what exactly is the case for keeping two separate but mutually implied tags?
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Both names are official, actually, if you ever played the Gameloft game, Bon Bon is referred to as Bon Bon in that.

Also the only reason they don’t line up entirely is because it hasn’t been fixed yet.
Wolfgang Anonymous

I'm a smartass.
@LightningBolt  
still don’t really see the point in one character having two general (blue) character tags, even if both of those names are official. It seems kinda redundant to me, and It might confuse some newer users.  
I could be wrong though. That’s just how I see it.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
Yes, both names are official now as of episode 100, and should be aliased together.

Bulk Biceps and Snowflake is another example.

@Wolfgang Anonymous  
Derpi policy is that the show is the last word on names. If the character is named in the show credits, their fan name can be aliased to the show name. If they’re named in toys, books, or comics, we generally have the fan name and merch name imply each other.

On the other hand the MLP Wiki will erase all evidence of a fan name and start using the toy name as soon as a toy comes to market that looks somewhat like the character, so it’s frustrating getting the fan names and show/toy names to line up sometimes.

Personally, i would prefer to alias them rather than have the two-way implication, but have been denied in the past.
Wolfgang Anonymous

I'm a smartass.
@cheezedoodle  
I’d say it would be better to alias them like the aforementioned case with Bulk Biceps. It makes it easier for everyone and less major tags would likely make the site a little simpler for users. I could try to make a case for it to tsp if you’d like
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
I’d like to keep them the ay they are. originally, it was because Sweetie Drops was her toy name and Bon Bon was her fan name. but the show canonized both, so it wouldn’t be right to discard one of them.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
Aliasing doesn’t discard the tag though. If anything it ensures that it’s enshrined forever. It tells you this tag is synonymous with this other tag.

time turner/doctor whooves is another.

Time turner has fewer than half the tagged images that doc has. I really don’t see the purpose of keeping them as unique tags. Sure, somebody could go through and add doctor whooves to 4,000+ images, but why?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide