Shorthands and abbreviations for the new cast

Toastypk
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

Royal Advisor
Something I was thinking. You know how Rainbow Dash = rd and Twilight Sparkle = ts, right?  
Is it time to make some shorthands for the new guys?

In particular, I’m wondering about Sunny Starscout. Hitch Trailblazer already has his first time as an alias, but with “sunny”, it’s going to become complicated, cause that’s already used for things related to the sunny weather.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

As the main character, I think Sunny is gonna need a shorthand sooner or later.

Izzy and Hitch have their first names as shorthands because people were using those as tags before their full names were announced, so the first names just became aliases. Perhaps they could get shorter abbreviations too, we’ll see.
Litrojia
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere since, so I’m gonna necro this thread to say that I think shorthands for the mane 5 are necessary.

ht, im, and zs are the natural picks for Hitch, Izzy, and Zipp and aren’t really used already.

Sunny needs a shorthand the most because she’s the only one whose first name isn’t aliased into her full name. ss and sus are already taken. I’ll suggest one of sys, sss, or sst.

The simple choice for Pipp, pp, is also taken. The ones that come to mind for me are pip and ppp, which are just one letter shorter than “Pipp”, but it would bug me to no end if all of the mane 5 but one had real shorthands. I suppose ppp and sss for Pipp and Sunny would be nice for its consistency.

The other revealed characters don’t need shorthands, at least not yet.
Toastypk
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt

Royal Advisor
@Litrojia  
I’ve actually started to wonder if they need shorthands at all because their first names are pertty short and I just use those for searching.  
Sunny is more of a problem though, cause “sunny” is taken. I had thought of the idea of sst for her too.  
Another shorthand I was thinking of was for the tag “mane five (g5)”. The mane six have “m6”, so What about “m5g5”? Or even just m5? The other “mane 5” doesn’t have that on it.
Background Pony #0E10
@Litrojia
Sunny is more of a problem though, cause “sunny” is taken.
Is it? All I saw were pictures I have to guess use it to refer to the weather condition of direct sunlight, and even then I couldn’t always agree that it’s a good descriptor for the image. There’s only 110 posts, and I’ve definitely seen pictures where it could apply but it wasn’t tagged, leading me to think it’s a low-importance meaning.

So, can “sunny” get re-employed?
Litrojia
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Toastypk  
I agree that the first name shorthands are simple enough, with most just four letters long. That’s what I use when searching, and it doesn’t really give me trouble. The issue here is mostly with Sunny, and if we go the 3-letter shorthand route for that tag, it seems reasonable to me that the rest get the same treatment, alongside the current shorthands of course.

@Background Pony #0E10  
Looking at how “sunny” is used and its tag changes, doing that might not be off-limits like I assumed. Most of them are images with vaguely sunny weather, and the rest I just don’t know. If the former were moved to a new “sunny (weather)” tag or something, I think people would catch on.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide