Viewing last 25 versions of post by Derpy Whooves in topic Request artist tag aliases here

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
"[@Brokedownandmadeone":](/tagging/request-artist-tag-aliases-here/post/4439196#post_4439196
)  
Honestly, I'm glad that we found it. It was goofed up the kind of way that things were pointing at things, and if you'd uploaded the right image from the wrong site who knows what would have happened.

Before the current dev team started the effort to sanitize and rationalize the schema and the database, everything had enough "slop" in it that you could get away with things "kind of sort of pointing over there WHOOPS not".

But now if the thing that you're pointing at doesn't exist, the site rightfully says; "Nope nope nope nope".

So, these kinds of things are getting fixed, and this is just another one of those. This last batch of aliasing I ran into maybe a half dozen things like this. But this one was just super duper weird.

Like, it was wearing a cape and a mask levels of super weird.

So - thanks for your patience, and for helping me sort it out :) I'm glad that we got it to a point where it's sane.

PS: Aliasing is one of those things that the site allows some of us volunteers to do, and it is literally terrifying how much power that gives us. I'm not even talking about malicious acts - if I really goofed up one of these aliasings entirely unintentionally and by accident, we might literally have to go to a backup to recover. There's some idiot checking, like I can't alias something to itself (Thank Celestia!) but when I was first learning how to do this, I sent things to the moon so badly that it took me almost 8 hours to fix by hand.

It's a super powerful tool, but it does exactly what you tell it to do, and if you tell it to get rid of a tag, that tag is **gone**. And recovering from that is ... you know, "Go to moon get rock" time.
No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
"@Brokedownandmadeone":/tagging/request-artist-tag-aliases-here/post/4439196#post_4439196
Honestly, I'm glad that we found it. It was goofed up the kind of way that things were pointing at things, and if you'd uploaded the right image from the wrong site who knows what would have happened.

Before the current dev team started the effort to sanitize and rationalize the schema and the database, everything had enough "slop" in it that you could get away with things "kind of sort of pointing over there WHOOPS not".

But now if the thing that you're pointing at doesn't exist, the site rightfully says; "Nope nope nope nope".

So, these kinds of things are getting fixed, and this is just another one of those. This last batch of aliasing I ran into maybe a half dozen things like this. But this one was just super duper weird.

So - thanks for your patience, and for helping me sort it out :) I'm glad that we got it to a point where it's sane.

PS: Aliasing is one of those things that the site allows some of us volunteers to do, and it is literally terrifying how much power that gives us. I'm not even talking about malicious acts - if I really goofed up one of these aliasings we might literally have to go to a backup to recover. There's some idiot checking, like I can't alias something to itself (Thank Celestia!) but when I was first learning how to do this, I sent things to the moon so badly that it took me almost 8 hours to fix by hand.

It's a super powerful tool, but it does exactly what you tell it to do, and if you tell it to get rid of a tag, that tag is *gone*. And recovering from that is ... you know, "Go to moon get rock" time.
No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
"@Brokedownandmadeone":/tagging/request-artist-tag-aliases-here/post/4439196#post_4439196

No reason given
Edited by Derpy Whooves